My plant is looking a little unwell.

Guest Singing Triffid

Guest Singing Triffid

Hi

I have this Sarracenia Purpurea SSP Venosa. I've had it for about two years now and it really sprung to lie last year. It's been well fed on a diet of slugs, vine weevil, bugs flies and even a nice juicy wasp :tu:

It stopped growing pitchers in the winter, though it didn't do this when I first got it, I cut back some of the brown pitchers and let it rest this year. Problem is it's not growing at all now. I've had one new pitcher and that's about it.

gallery_4067_130_43568.jpg

The above shows it as it is now. There are three large pitchers that have gone brown on the tops (they're still green on their lower halves) I have one new green pitcher but it's very small.

It seems as if it's growing new pitchers but they don't seem to be doing anything. They feel a little dry, slightly tough and don't appear to be forming.

I have sat the plant pot in water again as someone suggested I keep it out of water for a while.

I've also recently repotted it in the hope it might feel better but I'm not seeing any changes.

The following image is what it looked like last year.

gallery_4067_129_47785.jpg

No one seems to know what's wrong here and I can't find anything in my books that mentions this problem :(

Edited by Singing Triffid

Hi,

First, I would say the reason for your problems is the plant is too dry. They like to sit in rainwater to about an inch deep. Permanently during the growing season. In dormancy, they should be just kept damp, but no is the active growing season and you were ill-advised.

The other point is a long term thing, Sarracenias generally do not like clay pots, baecause of algal problems. Put it in a plastic pot, ideally a 5" or larger dwarf pot.

These are bog plants and should be kept at least moist all year around. After repotting, always wet the compost immediately (best to use it damp before repotting). Turn that saucer up the other way. :tu:

A few simple questions:

Which books do you have?

How much sunlight is your plant getting?

Do you use rainwater?

Where did you keep it during the Winter? (What temperature?)

Good advice above. I think the main problem is that is far too dry.

Also, what have you potted it in?? Looks like you have used some perlite which is good but have you used sphagnum moss peat with it or something else?

Guest Singing Triffid
These are bog plants and should be kept at least moist all year around. After repotting, always wet the compost immediately (best to use it damp before repotting). Turn that saucer up the other way. :smile:

I repotted this yesterday in a plastic pot and gave it a really good soaking afterwards. It is sitting in about 2 to 3 cm af rainwater at the moment.

Which books do you have?

I'm not sure, they're not specifically to do with carnivores. They're just general plant information books we have in the greenhouse.

How much sunlight is your plant getting?

Well, they're in a good position where they catch the sun in the greenhouse.

Do you use rainwater?

There are waterbutts around the site which I always use for my carnivores.

Where did you keep it during the Winter? (What temperature?)

My carnivores always live in the greenhouse. I'm not sure off the temperature. Could be about 5 - 10 degrees centigrade.

Also, what have you potted it in?? Looks like you have used some perlite which is good but have you used sphagnum moss peat with it or something else?

I've since repotted it in a compost mix for sarracenias. It said there was sphagnum moss in there.

I agree with the statements above, and there is one other thing that stands out to me when I look at the first three photos.

It looks like there was a bit of salt build up on the outside surface of the clay pot and this usually translates into high salt levels in the soil. So it's good you changed the soil and put it into a plastic pot.

Was the clay pot used for any non CP before the purp? If so any salts the clay pot absorbed could have been leeching into your peat.

Dave.

Guest Singing Triffid
Was the clay pot used for any non CP before the purp? If so any salts the clay pot absorbed could have been leeching into your peat.

No, it was the first time I'd used clay for carnivores. Someone suggested I put it in there, and yes, it was the same person who advised me before.

My only worry now is that I've got other carnivores in clay pots! :smile:

the clay pot may or may not be a problem. as someone above mentioned, if it was never used before it may be ok. I know some growers here in Atlanta that use clay pots ok.

I would think a bigger problem with clay (assuming they are new) is that the clay will let the water evaporate out the side so your plant dries out way faster.

For all those reasons, get some cheap plastic pots and repot. I personally don't think repotting a sarr, even in growing season, is that hard on them. You can be sneaky any they don't notice ;)

I have the esact same problem with a Sarracenia Purpurea SSP Venosa. It has been watered well, kept in good light, is in a plastic pot and yet loks pretty much identicle to the picture in the original post. My plant has actually started coming back to life but very very slowly, I think it could possibly be a fungal thing as I noticed what looked like white-grey sphagnum around the base of the plant, after I removed it it did seem to be better slightly but i think it may be damaged below the surface.