Calling all 'Marston Clone's

jimfoxy

From 'Insect-Eating Plants and How to Grow Them', A. Slack:

"When using S. flava 'Maxima' as one parent I selected one particularly fine seedling and call its progeny S. x moorei 'Marston Clone'. It has all the vigour and size of a 'Maxima' both in pitcher and flower, but the flower is a lovely shade of pale orange, reminding one of the harvest moon, while the hood is well mottled in whitish green."

Just how many different plants are out there called S. moorei 'Marston Clone' and which is the real one? I'll kick off with the two I have (pitcher photos taken today):

S. x mooreana 'Marston Clone', from Triffid Nurseries, 2006:

JS19a.jpg

JS19b.jpg

JS19c.jpg

S. x moorei 'Marston Clone' H32 Slack's stock, from P&J plants, 2006:

JS51a.jpg

JS51b.jpg

JS51c.jpg

According to the carnivorous plant database, the defining image is:

http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/pictur...arstonclone.jpg

which could, possibly, be the Triffid Nurseries clone above. It doesn't look too much like the P&J Plants clone to me.

Edited by jimfoxy

Not sure if I've got the point here, but here is a plant I've had for a few years, labelled SF05 S. flava 'coppertop' Marston Clone:

010608SF05.jpg

But with my track record, it could be anything!!

Hi can someone elaborate on the 'Red Burgundy' fiasco (as mentioned above) I bought one of those this week!!

Thanks

others know more than me and may be able to elaborate, but basically 'Burgundy' plants being grown from seed and sold as "Red Burgundy", being confused with the true 'Burgundy'...

to clarify, "Marson clone" is the same as 'Marston Select'...?

According to the carnivorous plant database it is - 'alternatively called [sarracenia 'Marston Select' {Hort.Slack}] in trade lists (pers. comm., Michael King, 2002)'

If you use Bob's photofinder to look at the 'Marston Clone' and 'Marston Select' then there are quite a few different plants! It's farcical. P. F. Gardner is one of the registrants but PJ plants (looks like they've recently dropped the &) don't seem to sell the correct clone.

Sorry, Andy, I should have been more specific - nice plant but it is examples of the S. x moorei 'Marston Clone' I am after.

Guest Paul Hrt

Hi, it isn't the same as the plant I got from Potterton and Martins about 20 years ago labelled as "Marston Select" The pitchers are similar to the Triffids plant but the flower is a much darker colour.

http://www.cpukforum.co.uk/uploader/user_uploads/flower1.jpg

Not sure if this is the correst way to upload an image, not very computer savvy!!

Edited by Paul Hrt

Paul, I have a photo from the previous year where the flower colour was a lot more red. I had assumed I mixed up my photos but I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if changing media/water/conditions affects flower colour a little. I repotted this year a little late.

Alexis, thanks for the info and links... more confusion :woot::yes: Is there any way of seeing larger versions of those photos; I can only see the thumbnail version?

The wording Slack used for this clone in his book has just struck me as a bit odd. He uses the term, 'progeny' referring to the one seedling. I assume this means that the adult plant 'Marston Clone' grew from this seedling, rather than any meaning of offspring or descendants. Probably me being petty but it just struck me as a little odd given the number of different clones around.

Edited by jimfoxy

Guest Paul Hrt
Paul, I have a photo from the previous year where the flower colour was a lot more red. I had assumed I mixed up my photos but I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if changing media/water/conditions affects flower colour a little. I repotted this year a little late.

Hi Jim, for reference my "Select" is grown in a unheated greenhouse using standard "Slack" compost. The first pitcher of the year is just opening and stands at 82cm at the moment. Does that sound familiar?

Hi Paul, it could be the same. I think the only real way to see which of these clones are the same is to grow the plants side by side throughout a year or two.

Well, all I can say for now is that assuming that the real 'Marston Clone' has spread far and wide then it looks like the 'Marston Clone' supplied to me by P&J is very unlikely to be the original clone. Ironic indeed.

If there is so much confusion over which is the true clone I would tend to lean towards those plants purchased earlier to the original release date such as Paul Hrt's.

When people are selling offspring from seeds which have similar physical atributes as opposed to selling authentic clones of the original it gets more difficult to track back to find the "real one".

The litmus test would be to ask the person who registered the cultivar to help identify the correct plant and then everyone could compare.

I purchased a 'Daniel Rudd' some time ago but sadly I lost it, some time later I purchased a replacement from someone claiming to have the clone. Since purchasing it and growing it on I can clearly see it is not the clone, but an attempt by someone to copy the original crosspollinations to produce seeds which could be called Daniel Rudd. Very dissapointing indeed.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul Hrt

Continuing the debate, here are some photos of my "Marston Select"

flower1.jpg

mars_sel.jpg

mars_sel2.jpg

mars_sel3.jpg

I don't think this plant matches Slack's desription of Marston Clone but I guess it may be another impostor