Heliamphora is a death.

Guest Tomka

Guest Tomka

Hi all.

I would like to ask for your help that let more not be my loss like this.

sphagnum+peat+perlit they are in a mix.In daytime 22-24 celsius night 16-18celsius 70-80% humidity breast.What did I ruin?

hel3.jpg

hel2.jpg

hel1.jpg

I say thank you for the help.

best regards.

Tamás

Is there enough light? They like very good light. The humidity looks ok to me, mine are normally ~70-80%, I only had trouble so far when it got down to 45% and one of mine shrivelled up (its stayed green and just withered), but most of the helis didn't object at all.

I would also agree the soil mix sounds OK. The humidity would be OK for an established plant - mine go much lower than that.

When did you get this and from where ? Did it start to die / dry, soon after you got it ?

TC grown plants tend to be grown in VERY high humidity and so need very high humidity untill there roots get established in the new soil. It is also benefitial to keep the pitchers filled with water.

It looks like it is probably dead. But it is always worth keeping the soil wet for a month or so - you never know, there may still be a little life in the rhizome.

Guest Tomka

Hi Phil.

You arrive in April Wistuba. They were very beautiful at me then something happened what I may have ruined, and the jars started withering off continuous. I roamed myself in this manner simply unfortunately I blame it because of this. I leave them yet and I am waiting maybe they start.

I say thank you for the help.

Tamás

I once almost lost a specimen of H. folliculata due to overwater. It looked like a dead, so I left it outside of a terrarium and after that I completely forgot about it. It has been staying alone for over 2 months without watering or something else, but after then a new shoot appeared, giving an amazing sign of still living plant! Heliamphora sometimes can be an unbelieveably hardy genus. So if a part of rhizome is alive, it is still a chance. However, it might take a very long time.

Hi Tamás

Wistuba's Heliamphora can suffer from this problem, as they are used to very high humidty. Next time, start them in a propagator or cover with a clear plastic bag (to provide very high humidty). Then every week allow a little more air in ( make holes in the bag), after a month or two you should be able to remove the cover. But keep a close watch on them and at first sign of wilting increase the humidty again.

Good luck with your next attempt.

Hi Tomka,

I had a small (not yet with mature traps) H.tequilla die on me due to root rot because my soil mix was too wet. It was growing in 1:1 bark/perlite but my other three Heliamphora are planted in 1 part live sphagnum, 1 part peat and 1 part perlite and they love it, even when the humidity dropped to 40% and the temps were well over 40deg C during summerthey were fine.

The one difference with mine is they get lots of overhead watering instead of the tray method so any water flushes through the pot on a regular basis. I wanted my plants to experience lots of water passing their roots as they do in the wild and it has worked well for the last two or three years.

Dave.