U. capilliflora

Hi,

my first flower of the antennae-bearing Utricularia. Once again I am not too happy with the quality of the pics, but not too easy to catch - the other pics on the web aren't much better.

cap1smr5.jpg

cap2szm0.jpg

And a flower bud and the leaves:

cap3ske5.jpg

Regards

Martin

Edited by Martin Hingst

Hey Martin,

The pictures are horrible, I think you should give up photography for EVER!! -- NOT!! :)

They're beautiful!!! I love how you played with the light on the flower and the dark background. You Germans are such perfectionists with your pictures, hahaha! :)

Congratulations,

Fernando Rivadavia

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

Hi and thanks again :D

Having seen my pics on a better monitor now, I can say that I am not that unhappy anymore. Anyway, I agree that this is a very interesting plant, and I was thrilled to see my first open flower in reality!

Dani, the bigger flower is about 4cm long, on a 5cm stalk. The other one is about half the size. Here an overview :

cap5sxb9.jpg

Regards

Martin

Hi Carlos,

easy to grow? Difficult to answer :biggrin:

The most important thing is to find the key factors and meet them - for my North Australian species I would say:

- plenty of light

- high water level

- warm temperatures.

In my tank (50x25cm) I have about 100 Watt of strong fluorescent tubes in 25cm distance, and no glass between the bulbs and the plants. That seems to be at the lower end, as some plants still produce etiolated flower stalks and get burnt at the lamps :biggrin: I am planning to give more art. light soon, but sunlight could be a better solution.

Water level is at soil level +/- some cm. Many of the NT species grow submerged at least during a part of the year in nature.

Night temperatures never fall markedly below 20°C, esp. in winter this seems to be important. Day temps are 30°C or higher.

But as heating is so much easier than cooling, I find the culture of these species easier as e.g. the highland tropicals.

What seems to be a problem that I haven't solved so far is reproduction, as many of these are annuals or at least short lived plants. And pollination is not that easy. I have to work on that.

Regards

Martin

Hi Jens,

thanks to my bad cold I am not able to smell anything at the moment...

How did your pollination of the dunlopii went out? Any success so far, and what did you try out?

Regards

Martin

Hi,

I used a very small brush (german size 0) and tried to cross-pollinate different flowers. I could even see the pollen on the brush. I got some seed wich looked viable and sowed it but it did not germinate. I still have some of the seed and will try again.

Regards

Jens

Thanks Jens - would be interesting to hear if these seeds are viable.

Here another location form from Noonamah. The form shown above comes from "Wickham Point, N.T.".

capnoo1sez1.jpg

The widely spreaded antennae are quite different to the first form. I will check the next flowers to see if this is a constant feature.

Regards

Martin

Edited by Martin Hingst

Hello,

here another - and hopefully last! - picture of the plant from Wickham Point.

capwpsyj0.jpg

Hopefully, because I will now try once more to pollinate it. So I really wish to see ten capilliflora flowers lying on the ground tomorrow! Wish me luck -

Martin

Good luck and WOW! What a display (if only tiny). You've definitely mastered the tropical species Martin.