Drosera-praefolia: "South-Australia's Most-Beautiful Sundew".

IMG_2435JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

Well-Spotted ... I Made The Exact, Same-Point 'Slightly'-more than a Decade-ago in Flytrap-News When You Compare-the-Way The Leaves Unfurl with Drosera-whittakerii

Intriguing plant, resembles a lot a Dionaea!

Are 'These' ... "Red"-Enough For-You ? >(*U^)<

IMG_2416JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2434JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2441JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2479JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2486JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

Most of The 'Reddest'-Plants Grow Predominatnly in The 'Grey'-Iron Sites Though 'Thinking'-about This Could Drive-You ...

IMG_2492JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

"Nuts" >(*U^)< ... Casuarina "Strobili" In-Case you 'Were' "Wondering"!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

I've taken a Few 'Stitched'-JPEGs from The 'Bach'-of-"The-ONK" [Onkaparinga-River National-Park] Today Which I'll 'Try' and Put-Together as part of a Short Photo-Essay on This Kneck of Our-Woods So-to-Speak.

I'll 'Just' Test-the-Waters Here to 'See' if There are Any 'Size' Limitations I-am Not-as-Yet Aware-of Regarding 'Stitchables'!?:

ONK-Horizon-Profile-Stitch-DAVION-T.jpg

'Well' Apparently it-'Seems' to-Work so-I-Better Get-My-Act-Together and Get-Stitching. >(*U^)<

Red is the better color for drosera!!! :suicide_fool-edit:

IMG_2435JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

Well-Spotted ... I Made The Exact, Same-Point 'Slightly'-more than a Decade-ago in Flytrap-News When You Compare-the-Way The Leaves Unfurl with Drosera-whittakerii

It was Only Last-Year that I-Took My-Microscope: "Out-Bush" and Found that the Glands Underneath Both Drosera-praefolia & Drosera whittakerii are Highly Conserved if 'Not'-Identical!!!??? And-Yet the Seeds are So-Different in Size!!!

Confusing!!!??/ >(*~*)< You-Bet ... Considering The 'Strange' and Weird-Forms of Drosera-whittakerii on KI [Kangaroo-Island] and Yet Drosera-praefolia at Lake-Ada and Stokes-Bay [Not-to-be Confused with Stokes-'Inlet' of WA-& Drosera-binata-Fame]on KI Appear Very-Similar to The Mainland!!!???

Drosera-praefolia Flowers First and Has Small-Seeds Like Members of The Rosulata-Bulbosa Group of WA ... 'So-'Why'-are Their Adaxial-Gland [underneath-Leaf / Trap Glands] Sooo-Similar? But Then-again There is This 'New' Suppossedly Stolonifera-Group Member that May be The Answer between Supposededly Drosera-ramellosa being on KI and These Weird Drosera-whittakerii Forms ... One of Which Near The Hot-Spot of Flinders-Chase National-Park Has Leaves very-Similar from 'Casual' Observation to Drosera-rotundifolia!!! >(*~*)< ie Traps are Almost Orbiculate and Stand erect from the Ground on Very-Thin 3mm petioles as Do many other Members of These 'Strange' KI-Forms of Drosera-whittakerii.

It was Only Last-Year that I-Took My-Microscope: "Out-Bush" and Found that the Glands Underneath Both Drosera-praefolia & Drosera whittakerii are Highly Conserved if 'Not'-Identical!!!??? And-Yet the Seeds are So-Different in Size!!!

Confusing!!!??/ >(*~*)< You-Bet ... Considering The 'Strange' and Weird-Forms of Drosera-whittakerii on KI [Kangaroo-Island] and Yet Drosera-praefolia at Lake-Ada and Stokes-Bay [Not-to-be Confused with Stokes-'Inlet' of WA-& Drosera-binata-Fame]on KI Appear Very-Similar to The Mainland!!!???

Drosera-praefolia Flowers First and Has Small-Seeds Like Members of The Rosulata-Bulbosa Group of WA ... 'So-'Why'-are Their Adaxial-Gland [underneath-Leaf / Trap Glands] Sooo-Similar? But Then-again There is This 'New' Suppossedly Stolonifera-Group Member that May be The Answer between Supposededly Drosera-ramellosa being on KI and These Weird Drosera-whittakerii Forms ... One of Which Near The Hot-Spot of Flinders-Chase National-Park Has Leaves very-Similar from 'Casual' Observation to Drosera-rotundifolia!!! >(*~*)< ie Traps are Almost Orbiculate and Stand erect from the Ground on Very-Thin 3mm petioles as Do many other Members of These 'Strange' KI-Forms of Drosera-whittakerii.

I find your posts really difficult to read. The overuse of hyphens and capital letters is really irritating.

Or is there a real reason for this, making me quite rude to point it out?

• 2 weeks later...
Nice habitat!

Thanks ... 'Got' Another Seasonal-Installment 'Coming' Tomorrow-Night - We're 'Visiting': "Tangari-Regional-Park" to 'See' How the Praefolias are Coming-Along After Two-Decent-Rains of The Season ... Here's Just-R-Taste: ...

Tangari-Regional-Park-Hex-Vertical-.jpg

IMG_2870JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

If-You 'Tune'-in Tomorrow-Night, ... Not-Only Will-You Get a General-Overview of This Lovely Local-Surburban-Park but also a Close-up of This-Plant as-Well, in All-its Glory! >(*U^)< Sorry-I Couldn't 'Do'-it-for-You Tonight but Photo-bucket Takes Sooo-Long to Up-Load When You're Still-"ON"-Dial-up!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)< Sorry.

When The Tecoma:IMG_2733JPG-30-RESIZED.jpgIMG_2736JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

&-The Pyracantha: (Fri-23-May-2008)

IMG_2738JPG-30-RESIZE.jpgIMG_2739JPG-305-RESIZED.jpg

Are at-Their Floral / Fructal 'Peaks' Around The Third-Week-of-May Then Drosera-praefolia is Entering into its Visual / Photographic Apogee & The South-Australian Swamp-Hunting Season Truly Has Begun Where The Soil-Surface will Now Remain Faily Evenly 'Damp' Up-&-Through to about The Second-Week in October.

Note that a Lot of 'Glauceous' or Blue-Green Leaved Plants Have Either Red Flowers or Fruits but 'Seldom' Both!!!???

One-of-The-Places You Can Go to Photograph Drosera-praefolia in its Native-setting is:

"Tangari-Regional-Park"

Tangari-Regional-Park-DAVION-Sat-18.jpg

Tangari 'Seems'-to-Be the Nunga / Aboriginal-Word for Glue or 'Sticky' Since There are Other Roads and Place-Names in The-Area that 'Use'-This Term. Whether-or-Not "Tangari" is a 'Specific'-Epitaph for Drosera-praefolia, in-particular, or Sundews-in-General Will 'Probably' Never-be-Known However ...

There's a "Tangari-Road" 30-Seconds Walk Down from My-Place and in-May after a Bushfire in Sauerbrier-Creek on The 24th-of-February 1998, 14 Remnant-Plants of Drosera-praefolia were Obliviously-Discovered / Found nearby on The Banks of This Ephemeral (Seasonal) Creek.

Suffice-to-Say, after Losing 'Their'-Cover They Barely Lasted another Two-Seasons before Succumbing to the ever-present Glyphosphate Bushland Regeneration Recovery-Programme ... for Most-of-the-Volunteers ['One'-Person in-Particular in Our-Area] Apparently Don't-'Realise' that Sundews are 'Native' and are 'Not' Exotic-Weeds as-You May-Think Considering How Beautiful-&-Showy Many-of-Them Can-Be!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

I-Had Been Slowly-'Watching' a Whole-Patch of Drosera-foliosa Regenerate in This Revegetation-Zone Since The-Fire ... and 'By'-2006 They-Had Matured and Were Flowering at the Rough 30-Centre Mark. Last-Year Nothing came-up ... she'd Apparently 'Got' The Entire-Lot with Her-Spray!!! >(*~*)<

The Next-Time This-Persons Licence-Plate appears out at the Regenation-site I'm Contemplating Not-'Just' Giving-Her a Cautionary Stern-Word but Probably a Right 'Fisting' as-well!!! >(*U^)<

Tangari-Regional-Park-DAVION-Sat-1.jpg

Here's The Car-Park. (Sat-18-June-2007)

Basically There's a Large 'Unus(e)able' Oval-to-The Right and The Park-to-The Left.

The Whole-Area Used to be Part of The So-Called: "80-Acres" Parcel-of-Land that Was Owned by One of The Early-Colonists in This Region [Remembering that south-Australia was The Only 'Non'-Convict State before Federation and Mostly Imported Convicts fro Labour for Municipal-Works from or via Victoria ie Clarendon-Weir and Tunnel among-others.].

The Oval is Unuseable or Fit-for-Purpose due to The-'Reactive' Cracking-Clay-like-Nature of The soil Which is Very-similar if-Not 'Identical' to that-found at O'Halloran-Hill Conservation-Park; so People Just Use-it as a Dog-Walking Area and to a lesser-extent Illegal Dumping Zone / Lovers'-Leap [Especially After-Dark].

This Soil 'Implies' that There's Probably another Major Colony or site of Drosera-praefolia to be Had-or-Found in The Surt-Gorge-Region Nearby ... but Alas I-Have 'Yet' to Discover its Location even-though I-Have over the Last 18-years of Praefolia-Exploration 'Bach'-Tracked and Located many of the Linking and Outlying so-called: "Saterlite"-Colonies in This Semi-Rural Region of Surburia.

Tangari-Regional-Park-DAVION-Sat-2.jpg

One of The 'Many'-Trails Through the Two-Major-Regions [Oval-is-Implied-'Third'] of The Park, Directly 'Left' of The Car-Park as-You Enter-off: "Pine-Drive", Happy-Valley.

Tangari-Regional-Park-DAVION-Sat-4.jpg

'Looking' Directly "West", Across The Oval, from The Car-Park.

Due-to-The Nature-of-The-Soil of The-Oval Many of The Trees Take-on a Mallee-type or 'Multi-Stem'-Appearance such-as:

Tangari-30-Mulga-Tripanvertical-Sti.jpg

Looking-"East" Down the 'Perimeter'-Oval-Track From One-of The Two-Major 'Mallees' You Can-see in The Former-JPEG 'Bach'-Towards The-Car-Park. Photo-Taken: (Sun-20-April-2008) 'Just'-Prior to The First Major-Rains of The Season.

Tangari-Regional-Park-DAVION-Sat-3.jpg

Between The Left-Corner of The Car-Park and The "West" Directly Looking 'Across' The Left-Half-of-The Oval is a Small Insignificant 'Trail' Leading-off to Some 'Nice' Easily-Accessed Praefolia Colonies. (Photo-Taken: Sat-June-18-2007) 'Not'-the-Largest Plants in The-World ... But 'Nice' Nonetheless.

IMG_1778JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_1779JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

A-'Little'-Bit Further Down This Track.

'Now' Standing a Little-Further-Back Taking-in a Panoramic:

Tangari-Regional-Park-DAVION-Sat-5.jpg

'Rhoughly'-the-Same-Spot 'Last'-Year on The 18th.-of-June.

To-The-Left is a Small 'Heathy'-Area and To-The Right a Small-Stand of Eucs:

Tangari-Regional-Park-DAVION-Sat-6.jpg

'Last'-Year on The 18th.-of-June

IMG_1780JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

'Rhoughly'-the-Same-Spot 'This'-Year on Sun-20-Apr-2008 'Just' Before The-First True-Rains of The season Began ... Though I-Was 'There' a Week-Before Which We Will 'see' Shortly.

Tangari-Regional-Park-DAVION-Sat-7.jpg

The Whole Area Contains 'Thickets'-of-Kangaroo-Thornbush [Acacia-paradoxa] as an Understory to The Eucalypts Overhead.

IMG_2154JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

These Bushes Have 'Nasty'-Spines:

IMG_2120JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

But The 'Dead' Black 'Thorns' are even Worse:

IMG_2101JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

For They Not-only Hurt Initally but Begin an Irrational-Reaction about Twenty-Minutes later but can-also 'fester' a Few-Days Later!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

'Though' After-Our Eleven-Year Drought ... Even-These Tough-Bushes Found-it 'Hard'-Going - with Patches of-Them Dying-off to Reserve Water & Life!!!

Tangari-Regional-Park-DAVION-Sat-9.jpg

Note The-Acacia-Thornbush in The-Distance.

IMG_1782JPG-30-RESIZED.jpgIMG_2151JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

Here-it-Is Again on The 14th.-of-April 'This'-Year about a Week-&-a-Half before The 'first' Rains-of-The Season Arrived at This-Park.

Tangari-Regional-Park-Trail-Way-1-H.jpg

Here's a PANORAMIC-Megashot of The Same-Scene Taken-This-Friday-the-23rd-of-May-2008 after Two 'Decent'-Rains at The Park.

IMG_1783JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

Here's:"The-Old-Dead-Horse" as-it Looked Prior to Any-Rains on The Monday-The-14th.-of-April. >(*U^)< As-May-'JUst'-Be Seen on The Right-Hand-Side of The Megashot Above.

Thanks ... 'Got' Another Seasonal-Installment 'Coming' Tomorrow-Night - We're 'Visiting': "Tangari-Regional-Park" to 'See' How the Praefolias are Coming-Along After Two-Decent-Rains of The Season ... Here's Just-R-Taste: ...

IMG_2870JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

If-You 'Tune'-in Tomorrow-Night, ... Not-Only Will-You Get a General-Overview of This Lovely Local-Surburban-Park but also a Close-up of This-Plant as-Well, in All-its Glory! >(*U^)< Sorry-I Couldn't 'Do'-it-for-You Tonight but Photo-bucket Takes Sooo-Long to Up-Load When You're Still-"ON"-Dial-up!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)< Sorry.

We-'Like' to Take Nubiles Out-to-This-Park ... for Being a 'Regional'-Park The Authorities are 'Less'-Likely To-Napalm Your House or Schworzenigger Your Entire-Family Should-You be a Young-Teenager and a Little-Lax with Your Abilities to 'Resist' the Temptation of Digging-up Plants as-well-as Possible "Poaching" as-an-Adult!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

IMG_2869JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

But You Can 'See' The-Allure as-well-as The-Dilemma Considering it-is South-Australia's Most-Beautiful-Sundew! >(*U^)<

IMG_2886JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2887JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2888JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2858JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2859JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2861JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2862JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2863JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2866JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2867JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2856JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2855JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_2891JPG-30-RESIZED.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Went-out to Mount-Bold Yesterday (Wed-18-June-2008):

Mount-Bold-Heath-UR-THERE-DAVION-We.jpg

'Where'-I "Saw"-R: "Greenhood" (Pterostylis) species:

IMG_3608JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

Amongst The-Heath,

Along-with Some Drosera-foliosa Habitat:

IMG_3620JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_3489JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

And in-Particular ... The Plants-Themselves:

IMG_3553JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

Which-I Will 'Bring'-to-You Shortly as an Expose` (X-Spo-Zay) on The-Mount-Bold-Region.

This-Visit was Followed by a Short-Foray to Blewitt-Springs 'Where'-I Found a 20-Metre Soak with Some Nice 'Glauceous' Baumia (Native 'Reedy'-Grass Type species) Quite-by Accident Which 'Rounded'-off The-Day Quite-Nicely Thank-You Very-Much. >(*U^)<

However, This isn't 'Why'-I'm Posting ... What-I'm Really Wanting-to-Tell-You is That Today (Thurs-19-June-2008), I-Went to See Drosera-praefolia In a Most-Mysterious-Place: ...'Behind' The Cherry-Gardens Electricity Sub-Station:

IMG_3678JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

Which-I 'Stumbled'-upon Quite-by-Accident in 2004, Which I Took-the Vic-Boy to 'See' in 2000-5 - but 'Still'-Haven't Managed to Even-Take Donny-out-to-See ['Me'-CP-Buddy from Port-Adelaide! >(*~*)<]

Here's R UR-[THERE] to 'Set'-the-Scene for-You:

Cherry-Gardens-Drosera-praefolia-He.jpg

Yeh ... Bloody-Incredible-Location I-Can Assure-You With-its Own Historical-Bells-&-Whistles That'll Really-make The-Expose` 'Sing' I-Can Tell-You! >(*U^)<

Anyway, to Cut-R-Long-Story-Short I-Saw Our South-Australian 'Southern'-Heath: Epacris-impressa ...

IMG_3808JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

'Member' of The-Epacridaceae Which-is Our Southern Equivalent to Your Up-Over: "Ericaceae".

Numerous-Orchids:

IMG_3811JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

IMG_3803JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

Many-of-Them: 'Glauceous' and Even with Some in-Flower:

IMG_3713JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

I-'Believe'-This is Some-sort of: "Mosquito" / Fly-Orchid.

IMG_3719JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

'Croc'-Sized Other ["Crocs"-R-'Better'-than-Thongs!!! CROCS-Rule! >(*U^)<]

in-Fact 'Bach'-in-2000-4 I-Tentitely-Counted 14-species Including 'One' I-Had NEVER Seen-Before in My CP-Travels Around The-State!!! >(*~*)<

IMG_3796JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

'Dangerous' Nooks-&-Crannies as-well-as Equally Dangerous:

IMG_3786JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

Trampl'e'lingly-Slippery "Jelly-Algae" ... If 40o-Slopes Weren't 'Bad'-Enough - 'Yes' I-Tripped-&-Fell Leaving a Minor Gauge to The-Body of 'Me'-Not-so-New Camera. >(*~*)< / >(*U^)< The 'Suffereings'-I-Endured for The-Sake of You 'Northerners' in Europeanland and The-Odd Eskimo with B-R-O-A-D-B-A-N-D in-The-Artic! >(*U^)<

Not-'forgetting', of-Course, ... Our Intended 'Prey':

IMG_3776JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

Drosera-praefolia ... Which in This Locale Funnily-Enough Grows Only to The Size of a 50-Cent Piece ie They're 'Much'-Smaller!!! >(*~*)< Even-Though They Get 'Plenty'-of-Morning-Sun ... Though it's 'Probably' Closer to Mourning-Sun for All The-Noctural-Insects 'Trapped' The-Night-Before ... R-The-Night-Before. >(*U^)<

Anyway, I've-Got Some 'Nice' UR-[There]s of-This Geographical and Geological Oddity to Pad-The-Expose`-out ... though being-on Dial-up I-Can't-Say exactly 'When' It'll All-be Uploaded for-Your Serious Enlightenment-&-Erudiction!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)< I-'Only' Have Four-Digits and Two-Thumbs on Each-Hand ... Unlike The-Rest-of-You that-Have Five-Fingers and Ten-Toes. >(*U^)<

I do try to avoid negative posts, but do feel that the "!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<" nonsense spoils a very good post.

For what it is worth (very little), I find myself looking at your pictures, but I cannot be bothered to read what you have typed, as I find it too annoying, it is unnecessary and as stated, only spoils a good post.

Perhaps I am out of step, and all others on the forum need to be visually entertained by this ">(*U^)<" rubbish, I for one am not.

Ho Hum, or is is Bah Humbug.

I do try to avoid negative posts, but do feel that the "!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<" nonsense spoils a very good post.

For what it is worth (very little), I find myself looking at your pictures, but I cannot be bothered to read what you have typed, as I find it too annoying, it is unnecessary and as stated, only spoils a good post.

Perhaps I am out of step, and all others on the forum need to be visually entertained by this ">(*U^)<" rubbish, I for one am not.

Ho Hum, or is it Bah Humbug.

No, I'm sure very few people are entertained by it. It seems to keep the poster amused if nothing else.

Just checked the profile and am surprised to see Davion is a 43 year old, I am 43 until Monday (gifts of Pinguicula will of course be accepted), so my theory that it is an age thing are blown.

I will leave it at that, with one request to Davion, for god sake, stop with the <{**}>, unless this is a typing Tourettes, then by all means, accept my apologies.

To-'All'-My Detractors:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5307

Though ...The 'Rest'-of-You May-Want to Pick-up The Colourful-Book: "Faithfully-Mozart" by DONOVAN-BIXLEY for an 'Easier'-Interpretation. >(*U^)<

http://www.faithfullymozart.com/

[E4, G4, C5, Eb5; Eb4, F#4, Bnat.4, D5], [Fnat.4, G4, Bnat.4, D5; C#4, Eb4, G4, C5]; [Eb5, G5, C5; C#5, Eb5, G4; Bnat.4, C5, C4; C#5,Dnat.5, G4; Bnat4, C5, C5!]; [C4, Ab4, C5; Gnat.4, F#4, Eb5, Gnat.4]; [D5, Bnat.4, Ab4. F4; Eb5, C#5, Bnat.4, (G4), (Fnat.4), (D4), (B3) ...] ...

Bach Went-Through Every Possibility to 'Find' Exceptions to The-Rule.

Beethoven Used The-Matrix to 'Force'-Exceptions and Thereby 'Create' New-Opportunities.

Mozart didn't-'Need' to Do-Either. >(*U^)<