P. laueana (crimson flower) x (laueana x emarginata)

jimfoxy

This is the first flower I have from some hybrid seed I crossed last year. All laueana x emarginata plants that I can find photos of are purple or lilac (as was one of the parents of this plant). This laueana 'back' cross is a pinky peach colour.

The two laueana plants in the parentage may or may not be the same. The P. laueana (crimson flower) parent looks a lot like CP2 but I have no details of the other laueana. I look forward to seeing the flowers from the other plants.

edit - I am using the name P. x "Zarniwoop" for this one now

JP20a.jpg

JP20b.jpg

P. laueana (crimson flower) parent:

JP08.jpg

P. laueana x emarginata parent:

JP07a.jpg

Edited by jimfoxy
  • Like 1

Thanks. Mary, I think they are about a year and a half old. Below is the tray of seedlings. As you can see some have grown a lot faster than others! You can also see that one of the larger plants is more red in the leaf.

JP07xJP08.jpg

Edited by jimfoxy

Hi Jim,

interesting, the plant with the leaves that are redder has more of a look of laueana about it, I wonder what its flower colour will be like.

If you ever manage some leaf cuttings from them please let me know :biggrin: I can see why hybridising is such fun when you get a result like that,

The rate the larger ones are growing they will probably be dividing soon. :Laie_98: I'll give you a shout. I shall also try to update this thread with photos of flowers from the other plants when they come.

Yes, I am at that stage as a CP grower of finding hybridising very interesting. I would like to do more with Sarracenia but they get big so quickly! I can see why Pings have such appeal - I'll just need more window space in the Winter! :biggrin:

Lovely flower! Thanks for sharing.

that flower is beautiful, isn't that early to be flowering from seed?.

The fastest flower from seeds I had was something like 4-5 months after germination. I do not remember which hybrid it was, but maybe I can find out.

cheers

Dieter

thanks Jim that will be great :confused:

Dieter - that is amazing, my little seedlings from last year are barely 1cm across at most!

I was also amazed by the speed of growth. A brief description of my method can be found here: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...c=20818&hl=

I did not try any cross last winter, as I still have so many plants from the year before. Maybe I should start into more complex hybrids. Jim's example above is just beautiful!

Cheers

Dieter

Cool hybrid!!!

I like that pink-peachy color. But I am confused about the parentage. By what I understood it is a backcross, but with what? Did you get a P.laueana X emarginata and cross it with itself or with one of the parents?

Thanks, Fernando Rivadavia

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

Hi Fernando,

I obtained a (P. laueana x P. emarginata) plant and a P. laueana plant from the same seller. I crossed the two.

I have put the word, 'back' in quotes above because it may or may not be a back cross in the true sense of the word; I don't know if the P. laueana parent in the (P. laueana x P. emarginata) plant was the same clone as the P. laueana I crossed with the (P. laueana x P. emarginata). Does that make sense? :yes:

Nice flower Jim.

I don't know which clone of P. laueana x P. emarginata you used; it could be my cross or Stan Lampard's - it depends who you got it from. However, we both used the crimson-purple flowered clone of P. laueana 'CP2' for our crosses and it looks like you used the same clone in your cross - so it is a true back cross.

Cheers

Vic

Thanks for the info, Vic. I got it from Chris Crow at Sarracenia Nurseries maybe 2 years ago. If memory serves, I think Chris mentioned that he has had plants from Stan previously so it may be his cross.

P.S. Another flower is just coming up on the same plant. No sign from the others yet, though.

Hello Jim!

Congratulations to your crossing, it´s a real beauty. For me would be interesting waht you have done to pollinate with the polen of a hybrid. I tried it several times before but without sucess. Hybrids seem to me very tricky getting seeds. Any special things you have done?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

:yes:

Hi Christian - sorry, missed your post earlier. I have done nothing special that I know about! Maybe it had a good chance of working because I was performing a back cross? Maybe I was just lucky.

Interestingly, I have now pollinated the flower above with pollen from a false 'Weser' (just happened to be flowering at the same time and thought I'd make things interesting). The pod is not big but I think it may have set some seeds. It should be ripe in a few days.

Edited by jimfoxy

Hello Jim!

Hi Christian - sorry, missed your post earlier. I have done nothing special that I know about! Maybe it had a good chance of working because I was performing a back cross? Maybe I was just lucky.

Thanks for your answer. Well perhaps I must repeat the pollination a few days....

Kind regards Christian

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A third seedling has now flowered. Different again.

edit - P. x "Zarquon"

JP28.jpg

So far, the three flowering seedlings together. Two left to go.

edit - from left to right, P. x "Zarniwoop", P. x "Zem", P. x "Zarquon"

hybrids2.jpg

Edited by jimfoxy
  • Like 1