A new species of Byblis?

Drosera5150

May 5th, 2008- Hello All! After weeks of extensive study, i think i may have a new species of Byblis. After researching every article and photograph in existence on Byblis filifolia, I've noticed that the following anomaly is never mentioned, photographed or documented on any Byblis species.

Upon pollination of the flower, a pulvinus forms on the peduncle, which then begins a slow downward curve, forcing the ripening capsule to be aimed perfectly straight down toward the ground and perfectly perpendicular to the main stem of the plant. The fused-petaled flowers upon successful pollination then take on a slightly blueish hue and then begin their descent toward the ground, via the rapidly forming and curvate pulvinus. The entire process from erected state of the peduncle, formation of pulvini, to completed capsule descent takes four days, although the now blueish-tinted flower will remain intact for two days after pollination. Therefore, I wish to hypothesize the following;

1) The blueish version of the Byblis filifolia flowers depicted in a past CPN issue and on the Internet are merely pollinated Byblis flowers.

2) The formation of the pulvini in my supposed Byblis filifolia plants are a method of lowering the ripening capsule down past tall grasses to ensure proper seed set.

3) Upon my dissection of the pulvinus, specialized striated cells have been noted and can be barely seen in the photos supplied.

I have notified Jan Slauer and Robert Gibson of the mentioned anomaly and am anxiously awaiting their opinion. I think I may have a new species or subspecies of Byblis.

Please view the photographs posted and feedback is welcomed!

Brian Barnes, May 5th 2008.

Bfilifoliapulvinus7.jpg

Bfilifoliapulvinus6.jpg

Bfilifoliapulvinus5.jpg

Bfilifoliapulvinus3.jpg

Bfilifoliafusedflower.jpg

Bfilifoliaflowers.jpg