Funnel trap question

C_Skinner

Hi all..... Am i right in saying that the funnel trap is the VFT with cup shaped traps that cannot catch prey? if so do you know if any kind of fertilizer should be given to it to make up for lack of nutrients? How does it get what is required. Cheers

Chris

The Funnel Trap VFT is different to Cup Trap, it has the inner trap edges fused together (cup trap has the outer edges fused together), and stands more upright on a longer than normal thin petiole. Originaly It was sent to me from Germany as a cup trap and I noticed that it was different, I eventually worked out that it wasnt cup trap and named it funnel trap. The interesting thing is it's only every 3rd trap or so that shows it. It is able to trap insects with the funnels but not as effectively as the normal traps.

http://www.geocities.com/vftcult/Pics

Trev. :wink:

Very interesting. Trev, in your pics, all the funnal traps are facing down. is that natural or is it something else? it would be even better if every trap would be funnal like. Zongyi

Stefen Lenssen in Germany sent me the following information about this form;

The correct name is "Trichterfalle". The plant comes from Dr. König/Germany who uses some phytohormones to create it. The leaves are grown together at the inner margins (cup trap at the outer margins).

Vic

So, in other words the trait would not be passed on to offspring.

Trev's post above indicates that the production of deformed traps is sporadic. It would be interesting to know whether or not the plant reverts to type with age.

So, in other words the trait would not be passed on to offspring.

Apparently, Dionea 'Trichterfalle' is being vegetatively reproduced and the trait is passed on to successive generations. It could be that there is still a persistance of the hormone over several generations, but that seems unlikely to me. Most likely, it is a genetically stable mutation that is passed on to vegetatively produced offspring.

Vic

My original plant came from Stefan in Germany, he sent it as a cuptrap.

Interestingly if you put 'Trichterfalle' into the Bablefish translator on German to English it comes out as 'Case of funnel'!

The plant is stable and I have been able to propagate it by division but the number of funnelled traps seems to vary at different times of year, averaging about 1 in 4 overall. The plant in my pictures wasn't showing the usually upright habit of the funnelled traps at the time and I presently dont have a camera.

Trev. :wink:

• 2 years later...

Sorry about resurrecting this old thread, but since 2004 Dionaea 'Louchapates' has been registered as a cultivar.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Speci..._101.html#ladle

Can anyone describe to me the differences between VFT "Trichterfalle" and 'Louchapates'? I have of course read the description of 'Louchapates' in CPN, but do not recall reading about how "Trichterfalle" might be different.

• 3 weeks later...
Does cup trap produce more cup traps than normal traps or does it vary like funnel trap?

I have had my 'Cupped Trap' for several years and they have always produced cup traps, never "normal" traps.

Hi Hugo,

Sorry for the slow response, I didn't see your post before.

Cup Trap only grows cupped traps, I have never seen a normal trap on a cup trap plant.

Funnel Trap / Trichterfalle grow a mix of normal and funneled traps, which varies with the time of year. On average it's about 1 funnel to 4 normal traps but in spring they often grow only normal traps for a while.

Hope that helps.

Trev. :shock:

Bob / Trev,

Thanks for answering my question. It is strange that the hormone used to create the cup trap is stable but not in funnel trap. Afterall, there isn't a major difference between the two. I expect mother nature has its part to play in it.

There is also a red cup trap, which is quite pricey at the moment at eur40-50 plus shipping. It is a nice looking plant though. There appears to be two forms but I do not know how they differentiate: all red cup trap and cup trap all red. Lukas has both on his grow list but only sells one so perhaps he can advise the difference, if any. I would guess that they are the same clone but bred by different people.

Useful information. That answers my question exactly on the previous post. I had mistakenly thought that cupped trap and funnel trap were created in the same way. It appears not. Perhaps Aidan is right then, that over time and subsequent divisions, the mutation in funnel trap may correct itself.

Thank you for the link.

Just noticed from Trev's photos that "Trichterfalle" also has a crested petiole appearance.

Indeed. Some of the traps do, but the "normal" traps have "normal" petioles.

VFTTrichterfalle4894.JPG

VFTTrichterfalle4897.JPG

Note how an emerging trap has a very peculiar shape.

VFTTrichterfalle001.jpgVFTTrichterfalle007.jpg

More photos at

http://users.humboldt.edu/rziemer/zphotos/...chterfalle.html

Edited by BobZ

Guest Aidan

Very, very peculiar. The fact that the plant grows both normal and deformed leaves/traps at the same time says something interesting about the mechanism of growth... I'm just not sure what! The plant can grow normally, but doesn't always do so. Exceedingly odd.