Spring in Gasquet, California

Hello to all,

It is now springtime in the northern hemisphere, with plants erupting in bloom in temperate countries across the globe -- including P.macroceras subsp.nortensis and Darlingtonia californica in the Gasquet area of northern California! :)

On the weekend of April 19-20, I visited the area with the help of Harry Tryon, a CPer who lives in Gasquet and knows countless CP sites. He was kind enough to show me around to several of these, and I can’t thank him enough for the wonderful time I had and fantastic plants I saw.

I left San Francisco early Saturday morning, drove ~600km north through beautiful redwood forests along highway 101, and arrived a little after noon in Gasquet. The 1st site Harry took me to see was a wet semi-shaded mossy bank by the road with P.macroceras subsp.nortensis. Here are some pics of the habitat and plants. Notice how on several plants there are dead scapes from the previous season.

Gasquetsite102.jpg

Gasquetsite103.jpg

Gasquetsite104.jpg

Gasquetsite110.jpg

Gasquetsite113.jpg

Gasquetsite114.jpg

Gasquetsite115.jpg

The 2nd site was probably the most spectacular of all, at least in terms of abundance. P.macroceras and Darlingtonia formed a carpet on rocky banks along a road where water seeped out from the hillside. Both species were in flower and you could see scapes from the previous season on Darlingtonia.

Gasquetsite203.jpg

Gasquetsite210.jpg

Gasquetsite201.jpg

Gasquetsite211.jpg

Gasquetsite220.jpg

Gasquetsite224.jpg

Gasquetsite248.jpg

Gasquetsite228.jpg

Gasquetsite237.jpg

Gasquetsite238.jpg

Gasquetsite244.jpg

Gasquetsite245.jpg

Gasquetsite216.jpg

Gasquetsite246.jpg

Pings with prey:

Gasquetsite242.jpg

Can’t-get-easier-than-this roadside P.macroceras:

Gasquetsite233.jpg

Gasquetsite240.jpg

A little further down the road was the 3rd site, a huge wall covered with P.macroceras:

Gasquetsite301.jpg

Gasquetsite305.jpg

Gasquetsite313.jpg

This was maybe the largest P.macroceras I saw that weekend:

Gasquetsite310.jpg

We had some “freak showers” that afternoon. I’m not sure what to call it, but it wasn’t rain because it was frozen. Nor was it snow, because there were no flakes. It also wasn’t hail, because it didn’t form hard little ice pellets. It was more like a shower of tiny snow balls… Maybe sleet? Anyways, these tiny snowballs covered the ground and the Pinguicula. You can see them in these shots:

Gasquetsite311.jpg

Gasquetsite308.jpg

Gasquetsite315.jpg

Gasquetsite318.jpg

The 4th site was similar to the 2nd, only smaller & shadier. P.macroceras were not yet flowering (not even signs of flower buds) and Darlingtonia were just starting to send up scapes. In the second habitat shot below (where you can see Harry’s car), maybe you can spot some vertical white streaks, which were the sleet pellets raining down on us.

Gasquetsite401.jpg

Gasquetsite402.jpg

Gasquetsite406.jpg

Gasquetsite411.jpg

The 5th site was quite different from all the rest. Located on the top of a mountain, it was a flat grassy seepage where Darlingtonia grew among grasses. D.rotundifolia also grew there and were just coming out of dormancy. It seems like most D.rotundifolia were in very wet spots, usually with the dormant rosettes underwater. None of the Drosera had signs of flower scapes, but I think a few Darlingtonia had young scapes.

Gasquetsite502.jpg

Gasquetsite504.jpg

Gasquetsite511.jpg

Gasquetsite513.jpg

Gasquetsite520.jpg

Gasquetsite515.jpg

Gasquetsite519.jpg

Gasquetsite522.jpg

The 6th site was right along highway 199. Darlingtonia, D.rotundifolia, and P.macroceras grew very densely in a small area, a wet seepage mostly shaded by pine trees, at the base of a mountain. Lots of Darlingtonia & P.macroceras were in flower. Look at the different shades of Darlingtonia flowers:

Gasquetsite602.jpg

Gasquetsite603.jpg

Gasquetsite605.jpg

Gasquetsite606.jpg

And look at the SIZE of the hoods compared to Harry's hand!

Gasquetsite607.jpg

"

Darlingtonia & P.macroceras

Gasquetsite610.jpg

And here you have all 3 CPs, can you see them?

Gasquetsite613.jpg

Gasquetsite617.jpg

The 7th site visited contained only P.macroceras. It was a small population, but growing densely on nearly vertical cliffs along a small stream/ waterfall. All flowers seemed to be facing me, it was beautiful!!!

Gasquetsite701.jpg

Gasquetsite704.jpg

Gasquetsite706.jpg

Gasquetsite705.jpg

All these 7 sites were visited on Saturday afternoon alone! And still we had time to visit a magnificent redwood forest, have some fresh seafood for dinner by the ocean, and drive a bit along the strikingly beautiful coast of northern California. I went to bed wondering if we’d be able to visit as many CP sites on Sunday morning, before driving back to San Francisco.

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

But next day we were in for a surprise: we woke up to find everything was covered with a white layer. It was snowing!! A freak snowstorm in late April, Harry’s plants were completely covered. Check out the before (Saturday) and after (Sunday) pictures of his collection:

Before:

DSCN9161.jpg

DSCN9160.jpg

After:

DSCN9397.jpg

DSCN9405.jpg

DSCN9396.jpg

Before/ after:

DSCN9156.jpg

DSCN9400.jpg

Cephalotus under snow, that’s a 1st for me! :)

DSCN9398.jpg

We ended up only going to a single CP site that morning, after having a great breakfast. We visited a place on a hillside where Darlingtonia, D.rotundifolia, and P.macroceras grew among grasses along a few streams and on wet ground between them.

Here’s one of the streams:

Gasquetsite801.jpg

And here’s Harry standing next to another stream:

Gasquetsite811.jpg

Here’s a young flower:

Gasquetsite807.jpg

Observe the color variation in Darlingtonia:

Gasquetsite803.jpg

Gasquetsite804.jpg

Gasquetsite805.jpg

Gasquetsite806.jpg

Gasquetsite809.jpg

Gasquetsite814.jpg

Darlingtonia & P.macroceras:

Gasquetsite816.jpg

Gasquetsite823.jpg

P.macroceras:

Gasquetsite825.jpg

P.macroceras & D.rotundifolia:

Gasquetsite826.jpg

After saying many goodbyes and thank yous to Harry, I left Gasquet around noon on Sunday and – against Harry’s advice – decided to risk driving back along highway 5. It was risky because there is a high mountain pass which could be snowed in, with no cars passing. I didn’t have chains for the car wheels nor do I have any experience driving in snow! In the end the mountain pass was open (although the roadsides were deep in snow) and I was able to enjoy fantastic views of snowy mountains on my drive to San Francisco, like the magnificent Mt.Shasta:

GasquettoSF15.jpg

Thanks tons to Harry for a great weekend, what a guy!!! ;)

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. Look what a lucky guy Harry is. Just across the river from Harry’s house, there are even some Darlingtonia & P.macroceras (but you can’t see them in this pic, sorry!):

DSCN9162.jpg

wow what a post thanks so much for sharing these wonderfull pictures with us. :yes:

pings look stunning in such numbers and i love that scrambling/climbing habit of darlingtonias on cliff faces

Aaaah Andreas, but I can't move back yet! I still have to see in the wild in California the incredible, amazing, spectacular, awesome D.anglica, D.X obovata, and several aquatic Utrics which all look the same!! Hahahah! :) Yaaawn, I miss the tropics, especially now that I've seen the best at their peak... (ooops, this is gonna p*ss off Harry, Barry & others here in California, hehehe!)

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Hi Fernando,

thanks for sharing these pictures. It's now about a decade ago that I did my last CP hunt in California. I still remember some of the sites you showed us above. Unfortunately, I never came on time to see the P. macroceras ssp. nortensis in flower.

If things work out well, I will have a few free days in late july to go there again (of course, only to save my employer travelling expenses).

Cheers

Dieter

What a fantastic report! I love the dark Darlingtonia's!

I like the CP setup from Harry, especially the "monorail" type growing table in the last picture!

Hi Fernando,

very nice pictures, must have been a very interesting weekend. :smile:

It´s always nice to see that several species are growing next to each other.

Also a nice surprice with the snow.

Harry must be a very happy man to live in an area where CP´s are growing next to his own garden.

Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Best regards,

Dani

Very nice photo journal, Fernando! Harry must feel like a bed and breakfast safari guide. He needs a booking agent. Barry, Beth, Jim, and I imposed on him two weeks after your trip.

Fernando, you lucky guy. Those sites must not be known to many people. Thank you for the many terrific photos. I don't know if it's due to the exposure of the photographs, but the color of the Drosera flowers at Site #6 is an exceptionally beautiful dark blue, even those that are in the sun.

Edited by jk

Hi guys,

Bob, did you guys catch as many Pings in flower?

JK, blue Drosera flowers? You mean P.macroceras, right? ;) And maybe you meant site #7 too, right?

Take care,

Fernando Rivadavia

Fernando, nearly all of the Pings were in flower. We found only a few immature seed capsules (at your 2nd site) , but not a single ripe one yet. For comparison of a few weeks later, my crappy photos are at

http://users.humboldt.edu/rziemer/Gasquet/gasquet.html

Edited by BobZ