Greenhouse ventilation advice please

Hi all

Finally biting the bullet and buying my first greenhouse..........its only going to be a small 6 X 6 but not sure how many roof/side vents to buy for it.

Question to all the greenhouse owners........is one roof and side vent enough ventilation or would it benefit form an extra roof vent or extra side vent or both??

:smile:

Depends, how much sun is it going to get and what are you going to put in it?

I wouldn't skimp on them though, you would be surprised how hot it can get near the roof in mid-summer.. you also want to think about shading, there was some interesting posts from Dicon on the subject recently in the nep forum;

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...20&start=20

Wasted..

Its on a south facing garden so it should get quite a lot of sun, i think it will miss the some of the early morning sun because of a fence and get a bit of shading form a nearby tree (but not much).

The greenhouse is costing enough so a few extra vents wont make much difference - I have zero knowledge of greenhouses though so just didnt know how many to order.

I hadnt thought about shading, was thinking if I got enough vents to keep it cooler then it would be ok, perhaps not then!

Everything with the possible exception of neps will be going in it.

What are you going to house in there, your entire collection? sarras? vft's etc..??

Can make a big difference.. esp. if your going to put your neps in it.. thats where the fun starts!

Oops.. missed the last line of your reply..

In that case then its not so bad.. are you getting vents that auto open at a certain temp? they have wax in the cylinder that expands as the heat gains so dont require power...

All my vft's, sarras and darlingtonia live outdoors year round so ive no idea of the shading/cooling requirements..

Edited by wasted

i have 1 louvre vent and the roof autovent on both greenhouses, i leave the louvre open all year to keep the air moving, i've never found a need for shading (although the glass is in need of a good clean!) but i only really grow sarra's, vft's and a few dews, pings and utrics. my garden is south facing and the greenhouses are in full sun until about 3 in the afternoon when they get put into shade by some trees

Edited by diva

are you getting vents that auto open at a certain temp?

Yep, definitely worth the extra cash for those!! Though I might take a leaf out of Divas book and keep the side ones open all year though for good air circulation.

Hopefully if I get 2 roof vents and 2 sides vents that should be enough without any extra shading materials. I think moving the neps there will just complicate it so they can stay indoors for the time being atleast.

Thanks

Heather

Edited by LJ

If your neps enjoy your conservatory then I see no point moving them anyway, look at manders plants! I'd love to grow a few tougher ones indoors but my house is so dry the only thing I can grow indoors with any real success are succulents and cacti...

The best and cheapest way for vents is to take some side panes of glass out . As for vents for a greenhouse six foot square I would install four roof vents if you can afford . Leaving door open all day will save about three vents . I have side vents and slots in some panes in the sides of my greenhouse and and open all year round .