New Cactus - please ID?

Username

It is a mammillaria, most probably mammillaria elongata, which is very variable, it might also be mammillaria saboae or saboae haudeana but this is unlikely as it is much rarer but they do have quite similar spination. When it flowers you will have a better idea, if the flowers are small and yellowish then it is an elongata but if they are much larger and bright pink then it is more likely to be one of the saboae complex. My bet is its elongata.

Edited by crumble

Ok, thanks. What's the best way to get a cactus to flower? The little tag this one came with says not to water them over winter (begin watering in March).

Now is the time to start watering your cacti, but don't keep the soil soggy, and never allow the pot to stand in water. Lots of sunlight will get your cactus flowering. Once you see the flower buds appearing, start giving it a high-potassium fertilizer once every two weeks whilst it is in flower. Tomato fertilizer is ideal. Don't let your cactus completely dry out during the winter, give it just enough water to keep the soil slightly damp.

Simba

Guest Xefan
Ok, thanks. What's the best way to get a cactus to flower? The little tag this one came with says not to water them over winter (begin watering in March).

Heat and light ;)

Well, within reason of course, you don't want to try cooking it or anything ;)

• 2 weeks later...

you might find when you go to repot it that it is actually in a small plastic pot within the clay one, I have found this on occasion when I have rescued a cactus from a garden centre, not sure why they do this but it does make repotting easier.

you might find when you go to repot it that it is actually in a small plastic pot within the clay one, I have found this on occasion when I have rescued a cactus from a garden centre, not sure why they do this but it does make repotting easier.

they grow them on mass in plastic pots it makes watering etc easyer and then just slip a lil clay overpot on and it 'looks' perfect, everything is about image these days

pretty much any compost really as long as you add extra grit or perlite etc for drainage. I tend to make my own mix from john innes no 3, grit/perlite/levington or other soil less compost. I don't know the miracle grow compost but should think it will be fine with some perlite.