Cephalotus - Really Bugging me!!! :(

TroJon

Ok, had a great ceph, thought it died, then i kept in loads of various conditions from wet, to humid, various temps, normal, tropical etc. And now it's growing well, being in a plastic (unsealed) bag on top of a warm fish-tank hood. I wanted and still want, to put it on a north-east or north-west facing windowsill, any tips, and how would i keep humidity up, and would temperature at about 12C be a problem at night?! Seriously, i think i keep asking this, but something always happens to it!!! Only plant i've had consistant problems with, might be me, might be the house, could be both, could be the plant :shock:

Hey Trojon,

A lot of Cephs I see are grown in these sort of containers. Put the lid on when the Sun isn't glaring on it and it will keep the humidity up. If Humidity is all your looking for, this could help with that. Only bad news...is that I don't know where you can find one of these in London. Good Luck! :shock:

Cephs_in_LilTerrarium.jpg

Dear Odysseus:

Your tank is very nice for cephs. However, you don't need to have such a fancy container for them. I use regular pots and i place a clear PVC plastic around it tied up with a plastic rope to keep the humidity high! To such set up, you need to make a couple of vents to let the hot air out on summer time. You don't want steamed cephs, do you?

Gus

Ok, had a great ceph, thought it died, then i kept in loads of various conditions from wet, to humid, various temps, normal, tropical etc. And now it's growing well, being in a plastic (unsealed) bag on top of a warm fish-tank hood. I wanted and still want, to put it on a north-east or north-west facing windowsill, any tips, and how would i keep humidity up, and would temperature at about 12C be a problem at night?! Seriously, i think i keep asking this, but something always happens to it!!! Only plant i've had consistant problems with, might be me, might be the house, could be both, could be the plant :P

Hi TroJon,

I keep one of my Ceps on my west facing windowsill of my study. It just stands in a large saucer of water which I keep topped up in the summer. And let dry out between watering in winter. I don't believe any cover is needed or desired. Mine grow fine with a low of 45f or less at night and its between the window & the curtains!

Other plants are in both in my heated 50f min and cool house min 30/40f and are doing fine. The only Ceps I have had trouble growing were the "Giant" ones from Andreas. Whether that is because they were so small, or the "Giant" form is more touchy I am not sure.

Cheers

bill

Bill:

I have seen many posts in which cephs grow without any covers. Of course it is possible to do so, but you said it yourself, you had small ceph plantlets not growing well or dying and these would do better with a plastic cover on top to keep humidity high. specially if these came from Tissue culture. Humidity in England may be relatively higher than In australia and many places in the U.S. That's why one can afford to grow them without covers.

I visited south western Australia several months ago, all i can tell you is that the weather is unpredictable it gets warm during the day, then one gets a drastic drop of temperature and starts to rain, maybe 2 to 3 times a day. Cephs love cold down to 4-5 C. I know some people who managed to keeping alive under freezing temperatures, as long the plants don't freeze. Cephs hate too much heat. speciallly under low humidity conditions!.

Gus

Your tank is very nice for cephs. However, you don't need to have such a fancy container for them. I use regular pots and i place a clear PVC plastic around it tied up with a plastic rope to keep the humidity high!

Gus

I hear ya Gus! I just made a large seed propagator made from a 30 cent container usually meant for large Cakes put on sale by a bakery! :P

Hi Trojan,

I have my Ceph outside in an unheated greenhouse with no cover and its thriving! It looks better than any other plant I have and I thought they'd be hard to grow, I've even been thinking of planting some out to see how it does outside.

Hmm, i'm really not sure then, i think the problem probably is i either keep it too dry or too humid!

I'll try again, but it might also be because the plant hasn't been aclimatised to the cold or something?! What temps can these plants go down to, i have a garage outside which stops the wind and rain, but the main door is left open, and plants inside freeze, but it doesn't kill any vfts or sarras, might put the ceph in there?

Once again, cheers guys for the tips!!!