What do you do in real life???

fly

i am a countryside ranger in glasgow city council. Responsible for 53 sites some of which are SSSIs and most are SINC sites... yes i do have some areas with rotundifloria :)

I agree Fly, not a boring job in the lot!

Loaksey's job - seriously cool, I can imagine enjoying something like that myself.

Langy if you're in a garden centre at least you get to indulge your passion for plants, that's a definite upside.

I currently manage (and am a shareholder in) the Bali Orchid Garden which is a private operation as the Indonesian Gov has more urgent things to spend it's money on than orchids.

We actually have three properties: a one hectare collection where we have about 500 species as well as some Neps, Amorphophallus, etc, a four hectare plantation of Heliconia and Anthuriums, and a seven hectare cut flower orchid plantation.

We are the biggest supplier of cut flowers and rental orchids here in Bali.

Cheers, Troy.

• Like 1

Jan, are you already working on your PhD thesis?

By training I am also an organic chemist and I currently work as research scientist in big pharma (in that Franco-German company that gets a lot of media and shareholder attention recently).

Regards,

Dieter

Loaksey's job - seriously cool, I can imagine enjoying something like that myself.

8) 8) 8)

Thanks Troy! Tho' I have to say it's much more cool in the telling than in the doing. Sometimes very stressful and nothing much like CSI! :P

I got a degree in Fine Art but swiftly realised that the director of Tate Modern wasn't going to come knocking :cry: and so re-trained as a jeweller, I thought it was a good compromise between doing something 'arty' and actually earning some money. I repair jewellery as a job and make it as a hobby, though the plan is to knock the repairs on the head and just make it :P ......one day when I'm feeling brave....

cheers

Members of the CPS sometimes dread getting a knock on their front door, late in the evening, with me standing there, waiting to come in.

No, I don't work for the Inland Revenue or the Customs and Excise.

It's just that I drive a small van, for a living, as a self-employed courier, and I drive almost anywhere in the UK. It's a good opportunity to see collections of CP's, all over the country. I live in Essex, as you know, and the furthest away collection that I have seen lately is Phil Adejedi's, in Warrington.

The money's rubbish, but I really enjoy it, which is half the battle.

I'm the party pooper who can't go in to much detail of who my employer is or exactly what I do (I signed my life away when I joined)!

Basically I'm a materials chemist, PhD, FRSC, FIMMM, Chartered Engineer/Chemist & Scientist, with a team of Scientists and lots of PCs - inc a 24 processor cluster supercomputer. But hey, its only the day job.............

(I have managed to fit in visits to Atlanta Botanical Gardens & Californian Carnivores during my trips away)

8) 8) 8)

There are a lot of chemists on the forum. I've got half a chemistry degree, I dropped out of the Polytechnic of North London in the early nineties, halfway through the second year.

I'll have to be careful what I say about chemicals etc, on the forum, or someone will tell that I don't know what I am talking about.

Another student here. I'm studieing Horticulture at St. Clair. Doing rather well, I'm in my last semester. Lets see, pastjobs.....I worked as a heavy machinery operator(loaders, back hoes, and their big brothers), packing carparts, golf course crew leader(wow I hate turf), and lastly but not leastly Grounds maintanence and garden sales at St. Clair (greatjob), but currently full time student!

Sib :P

Student. I am currently working towards my Bachelor of Science degrees in (1) Multimedia Technology Communications with an emphasis on Digital Video and Film. (2) Plants, Soils, and Biometerology with a Major in Ornamental Horticulture.

Thus, it will be a good while before Oregon University hires me to pull off the wings of flies or maybe a job in the crucial studies of Fly Gonads. ;)

im studying A levels at college at the moment (chem, human bio, physics and maths) And hopefully will aspire to the lofty heights of surgery

although all this talk about chemistry scientists sounds very intresting

Guest PlantAKiss

I am a graphic artist in Richmond, VA, USA. I work for a real estate company creating and producing various marketing materials for the company and 70+ real estate agents. This includes personal marketing, magazine ads, newspaper ads, brochures and basically any print material anybody needs. I like my job but let me say real estate agents can't fill out a simple order form. Gah! Makes me wonder how they can write up a contract. Most of them are very nice but sometimes you want to strangle them. :D And at least I don't have an art director hanging over my shoulder!

Guest nepsToo

Quite a diverse and interesting array of occupations listed here, I must say!

I hold a Ph.D. in theoretical physics, and am currently employed

by a high-tech company to produce analytical and numerical models of

data storage devices. Not a bad job, but I'd rather spend more time with

my plants....