My Pygmy Drosera mini bog Garden is working!

Odysseus

Do you give your Pygmies 40% or lower Humidity during the day and 75% or higher at night?  

30 members have voted

1. 1.

• YES -- 45% or lower DAY & 75% or higher NIGHT
    • NO -- 70% or higher round the clock
    • Neither -- I use a different method.

Nice progress! Too bad about the dead ones though, but it's nice of the seller to replace them. This post has somewhat inspired me to order some gemmae - I'm looking forward to grow more pygmies again soon. :-D

If the pipe was in between the scorps, could that make it harder to put water in once they grow big?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it has inspired you! I am so fond of the quick maturation cycles of gemmae grown plants and the pygmies are dang good looking too. :)

If the pipe was in between the scorps, could that make it harder to put water in once they grow big?

Yeah, looking at my pic of my pygmy bowl back in 2004 pointed out to me too that when the scorpiodes get larger there will be a difficult time getting access to the pipe....I guess in the back or front I can put it in the middle again. I am going to find a narrower pipe this time though.

Indeed. They're also nice because they all grow around the same time, so you don't often have some 'dews looking bad and some looking good like I do with other sundews.

If you found a brown or black pipe it might not stand out as much, but I doubt a brown pipe would be easy to find, lol.

He really does have a great site there, and I went there early one just looking for roseanna. I could easily spend over $100 getting gemmae from him and it is very tempting to just FILL this pygmy jar, but I am afraid I need to hold off on spending more money. My wife is starting to notice. :D

UPDATE:

So I got the replaced D. scorpiodes and D. dichrosepala. I didn't get a pic of the whole bowl when I got these, so I will update this tomorrow with one.

D. nitidula x pulchella pulling through it looks like:

DSCN5564_zps1a11d468.jpg

Some of my gemmae are growing nicely! Here are some macro shots:

As you can see, I have had it too moist so far. I haven't been over watering it, it is all just from humidity. Up close it looks soaked but it really isn't that bad. Just a bit too moist it has encouraged green growth and fuzzed up some gemmae.

DSCN5571_zpse9e05723.jpg

DSCN5554_zpse6ad47f9.jpg

DSCN5559_zps6ef0c6fe.jpg

And some of my gemmae are suffering through some mold it appears:

Anyone got any advice? or just keep the ventilation up and let the surface dry up a bit more and wait it out?

DSCN5563_zps4f0117f4.jpg

Edited by Odysseus

Remove the moldy pieces, they are probably emitting spores. I think its not an infection as much as they are just eating what has already died, but sometimes its a fine line...

Edited by Dave Evans

oooo okay getting rid of them asap. maybe moving them to another pot away from these plants to see what happens before throwing it away.

Thanks, Dave!

NOTE: I guess this never posted the other night.

I have since moved the gemmae that were being attacked and tomorrow I will check during the day to see how they are doing and if any more have the problem too. Plus I will post an updated pic of the jar.

UPDATED PIC:

Added a pipe so I could water at the bottom so I could keep the water level low to combat green growth. Also, some D. pygmae and D. pulchella had a couple gemmae showing signs of life too now. Wooohooo! :D

I am not sure the D. roseana is going to survive. They were brown when they arrived and I thought that might just be normal for D. roseana gemmae, but so far the only gemmae to show signs of life where those that were green. The D. pygmae were also brown, but I believe one of them is showing life. Although, it could just be nitidula x pulchella.

PygmyJar_Feb9_zps27b391f9.jpg

• 6 months later...

Appreciate the nice words guys, thank you!

What is killing the plants in these setups is the lack of air movement and probably the lack of sun light. The mold just loves these jars and terrariums and the pygmies completely hate them. Some species are more resilient than others and will last longer in these conditions but in the end will die. Yours a probably dead by now, sorry.

• 1 month later...

Appreciate the nice words guys, thank you!

What is killing the plants in these setups is the lack of air movement and probably the lack of sun light. The mold just loves these jars and terrariums and the pygmies completely hate them. Some species are more resilient than others and will last longer in these conditions but in the end will die. Yours a probably dead by now, sorry.

My bruised ego aside, Mark is correct.

While I was successful growing Pygmies in that first container probably due to great light and far more air movement than this last one, this current container was a death trap.

Yeah, there was an added issue with a fungus gnat infestation that broke out in this jar. Young gemmae were eaten before they could really get going and the jar was doomed.

Will you ever try growing Gemmae like this again?

Mark, is right, and these are not ideal conditions. Do I personally like the idea of a "jar" of pygmies, yeah I do, but I need to stop being a crazy idiot and grow some pygmies in their favorite conditions. In the future I can try hardy pygmies again, but for now, I would just love to grow these beauties in my collection.

Mark, get ready to have more of my money. :D

Edited by Odysseus