My Pygmy Drosera mini bog Garden is working!

Odysseus

Do you give your Pygmies 40% or lower Humidity during the day and 75% or higher at night?  

30 members have voted

1. 1.

• YES -- 45% or lower DAY & 75% or higher NIGHT
    • NO -- 70% or higher round the clock
    • Neither -- I use a different method.

EDIT: Years ago I posted this about my Pygmy Bowl but since then my images have been lost. I have not yet found them, but here are SOME that I found to at least show what it was. (Original Post below images.)

PygmyBowl_zpsdd9d3ab9.png

Pygmysetupcopy_zps2159a5f4.jpg

PygmyBowl_April1st_zpsf6891762.jpg

ORIGINAL POST:

Here's how I have been growing my D. Nitidula x Pulchella, D. Pulchella and D. Pulchella pink flower, D. Scorpiodes, D. Carburup, D. Badgerup, and D. Pygmae that I received from those of you. It has only been almost one month since I began. I have had no problems however and all my gemmae are starting to look great!

My container is a one gallon Goldfish bowl with a lamp overhanging the opening.

Pygmy_container.jpg

The lid is on right now all the time, but today I pulled it off to see how they fair with low daytime humidity and high nighttime.

Pygmies_lid.jpg

Here are my D. Nitidula x Pulchella or D. Pulchella...I can't remember right now which one I took a pic of this morning. :lol: They are a little over 2 weeks old.

D_Pygmy.jpg

I received 6 scorpiodes at 3/4 of an inch tall already and placed them in their 3 weeks ago. They first fried a little from the light and lid being off so I placed the lid on their round the clock and the new leaves have now acclimated to the light and the lid is off during the day. I placed a ring of gemmae around those mature ones two weeks ago. You'll see some growing and some getting there.

D_scorpiodes_cropped.jpg

Other notes:

My medium is 2 parts sand one part peat. I filled it with water to keep the water table high and every other day I tediously drop little droplets of water from a baster onto the soil almost like rain. I don't drown my plants but let the soil surface get a little wet every other day.

My lamp holds one 32w compact flourescent. That sits supurbly on the top matching exactly the ring of the goldfish bowl. The light is on a 15 hour photoperiod.

Green moss is growing in their too, but I enjoy the natural look it gives the Mini Bog. I just hope it doesn't go rampant too fast.

It is sitting on an end table next to our living room couch. This bog will look great once the all grow their full size and get their sharper color! I can't wait! Well...Thanks for viewing!

Edited by Odysseus

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my experience is anything to go by the moss will soon catch up with and start to crowd out the pygmies. With that type of "terrarium" it is going to prove awkward as hell trying to remove it.

Hi, Odysseus

I would let the growing media dry off a little more than what you are now, the Pygmy Drosera develope very long roots to find water so a shallow water level in the tank should not harm them too much. The lower water level may also help to control the growth of the moss in the tank too.

Although the main problem that I can see will come next winter/spring, when the Drosera beging to produce their own gemmae, if its not removed from them they will become vulnerable to fungus attack.

And looking at your thank I cant see how it would be easy to remove any gemmae produced, without possibly loosing compost.

:wavey:

Langy

Although the main problem that I can see will come next winter/spring, when the Drosera beging to produce their own gemmae, if its not removed from them they will become vulnerable to fungus attack.

And looking at your thank I cant see how it would be easy to remove any gemmae produced, without possibly loosing compost.

:wavey: Langy

Thanks for the advice on the water table. I didn't know they grow long roots, so I will let the water level drop before watering again. I might not end up watering again for at least a couple months! I kept the water table high because of the statement in some books I read from Slack, D'amato, and pietropaulo. I saw that they enjoyed more waterlogged condtions. But, with your news of their roots being long...I won't be worried about letting the water go down in order to kill off some of the moss.

On the other hand with the gemmae production. The way I see it. I do want them to spread. Form some colonies there in the bowl. But, there will be LOTS of gemmae extra. I was planning on using the method D'amato suggests for pygmies grown in bogs and not able to be lifted up on its side almost upside down. To use a small wet paintbrush. Do you think that it will work?

The container is large enough to work in there with a paintbrush or forceps. I know it will be a great challenge every autumn...but I believe it to be worth the effort! :lol: Thanks so far for the help, Langy!

On the other hand with the gemmae production. The way I see it. I do want them to spread. Form some colonies there in the bowl. But, there will be LOTS of gemmae extra. I was planning on using the method D'amato suggests for pygmies grown in bogs and not able to be lifted up on its side almost upside down. To use a small wet paintbrush. Do you think that it will work?

Will this work?

If you have the patience....it will probably take hours to remove them!

:D Whew! Good point! :D

Sigh, I do like the setup and hope it turns out ok. I may have to reconsider after a year. But, I'll just have to see how this autumn goes.

Thanks for the reply Aidan.

• 1 month later...

A little update for my pygmy bowl. I let the water level shrink closer to the bottom as suggested. I am glad that none of these Pygmies have a need to go dormant, but I do still fear that the dry climate will cause them to go dormant in the future. I keep the lid on at night and off during the day. After two and a half months, here's how they look now. April 1st photo.

PygmyBowl_April1st.jpg

Hey Aaron,

It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to harvest the gemmae from your fishbowl. Use a gemmae vacuum. All you need is a film canister, plastic drinking straw, piece of cheesecloth or similar material and a rubber band. Drill holes in the cap and bottom of the film canister slightly smaller than the straw, cut the straw in half and fit each half into a hole then cover the inside end of the half you will be attempting to inhale the gemmae from with the cheesecloth and rubber band it in place. Your setup may require an extra long straw or Lance Armstrong-like lung capacity, but you have time to ride the Tour de France before you'll need to collect the gemmae, so that shouldn't be a problem. :lol:

Wow. What happened? I've had this sight for some time now, it's almost like it just dissappeared. Thanks for pointing that out. I sure hope that the webspace they alotted me isn't gone...wow that would be frustrating. That is alot of pictures to have lost.

I'll try to repair it... thanks Leon.

Forbes,

At first I thought your Gemmae vacuum was a joke...but after reading the whole thing, I think it is BRILLIANT! Hah! I thought that I would spend my time until autumn deciding how I could get the Gemmae out, but with your idea or the idea you stole from someone else ;) I can get those Gemmae out easy. I just hope all the Gemmae come off that easy. Thanks Forbes! :D

Ok here's the Photo Update now:

PygmyBowl_April1st.jpg

I consider it to be common knowledge in the CP community, Aaron. Directions are usually posted a few times each year. I didn't feel like looking any up. I think there's even a diagram somewhere on the Web! The only trick to using it is to slightly dislodge the propagules with the straw as you go. :)

Thanks Langy. Your advice about letting the water go lower helped alot! :thumright:

Ains,

Because they were formed from Pygmy Gemmae, they have only been growing since January 15th or so this year. So, roughly 2 and half months. :D

• 9 years later...

Noticed I have missing images now that my original online source for sharing these has quit. I am looking for those exact images in my old computer files, but to no avail so far.

However, I have found pics of the bowl:

PygmyBowl_April1st_zpsf6891762.jpg

Once I find those exact pics I will edit the original post so this isn't so lost.

Thanks, Devon! I am really excited to get another one going again.

The only question right now, is how do I avoid the issue of not having access to the plants because of the small hole at the top of the bowl. So I have been looking around for options.

Kinda wish there was a bowl plastic or glass, that had a flat enclosed or open area at the top for the light to shine down through but had a seam across the "equater" of the bowl where I could pull off the top half and have easy access to tall of the plants.

Looking around I haven't found anything yet unfortunately. Might just need to for the goldfish bowl again.