What is killing them?

bass guy

I have a couple of neps that have suddenly taken a horrible turn toward the bright light (not the fl shop lights...the mythical "bright light" that is). In both cases, the leaves die from the bottom of the vine up and the last few leaves get very limp and start to blacken from the base out. They get very soft but look as though they're trying to hang on.

The leaves get a soft leathery texture before their final demise. Does this ring any bells? Neither is living in adverse conditions. I'm thinking over watering, but I don't know. I do not have a digital camera so it'd take a while to post any pics. I don't expect either one to be alive when I get back to town next weekend.

On a related note...if anyone is looking to part with a N sanguinia or cutting of one, I fear that I may soon be in the market.

I have a couple of neps that have suddenly taken a horrible turn toward the bright light (not the fl shop lights...the mythical "bright light" that is). In both cases, the leaves die from the bottom of the vine up and the last few leaves get very limp and start to blacken from the base out. They get very soft but look as though they're trying to hang on.

The leaves get a soft leathery texture before their final demise. Does this ring any bells? Neither is living in adverse conditions. I'm thinking over watering, but I don't know. I do not have a digital camera so it'd take a while to post any pics. I don't expect either one to be alive when I get back to town next weekend.

On a related note...if anyone is looking to part with a N sanguinia or cutting of one, I fear that I may soon be in the market.

It's hard to say what the problem could be without knowing some more specifics. Were these recently acquired plants or ones that just recently have gone downhill? What kind of soil mixture & environmental conditions are they in? How old are the plants also? What does the growing point look like?

I'm with Alex on this, it sounds like root rot to me too. I've had slim success with affected plants, but so far what has worked was cutting the watering so that the media almost completely dries out between waterings. Its hasn't worked too many times, but it has saved a few of my plants...

Does sound like overwatering... Try unpotting one after its demise and see how wet the media is. I was shocked to find out how much water Sphagnum actually retains... I've gone to about 60% bark in my nep mixes because of that...

-J.P.

p.s. I think the drosera are ready.