D. burmannii or D. sessilifolia?

Guest thbjr

I have a Drosera that I bought as a sessilifolia. I let it flower and am collecting seed. I've contacted

John at ICPS seed bank and he is concerned because there were some seed distributed as sessilifolia that were actually burmannii. Here.

If it is sessilifolia, I want to send the seed to the ICPS seed bank, as they currently have

no sessilifolia seed. But obviously, I want to be certain of it's ID.

Since I have no experiance ID'ing them, I need the experts help. Here are the pictures.

DSCI0310.jpg

DSCI0312.jpg

DSCI0421.jpg

DSCI0418.jpg

DSCI0419.jpg

Sorry the pictures are super size, but I want as much detail as I can get for ID'ing it.

I got it about 7-8 weeks ago.

It has grown about 8-12 new leafs and has been in my 10 gallon terrarium under 2, 100 watt equivalant

CFL's since I got it and has really gotten a nice red coloring lately.

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,

nice plant, but i don´t want to suggest something.

I´m growing both of them but for me they are to equal. Additionally from D. burmanni there are existing a lot of plants from different locations that differ very much in colour and diameter. I have heard that there are also existing man made hybrids between both plants.

My plants from ´Chapada dos Guimares, Minas Gerais, Brazil´ are more orange/red.

You have to wait for Fernando. :man_in_love:

Best regards,

Dani

You have to wait for Fernando.

Thanks Dani...and all.

Is Fernando the resident burmannii versus sessilifolia expert? I hope he will see this and post. As I said, I just don't want to send in seed that are mis identified.

Tom

PS. if it helps, the plant is exactly 1" (26mm) in diameter.

Edited by thbjr

Hi guys!

The characteristics separating these 2 species are:

1.) Flower scapes erect in D.sess. (usually ascending in D.burm.)

2.) Lamina rounded in D.sess. (usually triangular in D.burm.)

3.) Flowers pink in D.sess. (usually white in D.burm.)

As you see, these are not very "strong" differences, especially because D.burmannii may present any of the above characteristics, but they are usually not all 3 found together as in D.sessilifolia. I can't tell from your pictures if the scape has a curve at the base, since it's hidden among the leaves. I also can't tell, but the flower seems white to me. But the leaves are rather more rounded than usual D.burmannii.

It's very hard to say, but I'd place my bets on D.burmannii or else a D.burmannii X D.sessilioflia hybrid.

Good luck!

Fernando Rivadavia

Hello Christian,

Very interesting! So the styles in D.burmannii are apparently longer than in D.sessilifolia. I wonder how consistent that is... Has anybody else payed attention to this? Does anybody else have pictures? As far as I can remember from the times I saw D.sessilifolia in the wild, the styles were always short. This might be a good character after all... Tom, don't give up IDing your plant yet! ;) In fact, how does your plant compare to characters 1 & 3 from my list above?

Take care, Fernando Rivadavia

Fernando, I'm sorry, but I'm in way over my head here. I don't know what part of the flower the 'styles' are or the differance between an 'erect scapes' and 'ascending scapes'. If you'll explain to me what to look for, I'll try to look for it. It is a lovely light pink flower, (at least I'm not color blind. LOL).

Here is another picture of the open flower that is very close to the true color it was. I blew up the picture as much as I could, but it is still nowhere near as clear as the pictures posted by Christian. I hope it helps.

sessilifoliaflower.jpgsessilifoliaflowerb.jpg

IMHO the petals look exactly like the ones in Christians photo of the sessilifolia. Same color and shape, but like I said, this is way beyond my knowledge.

Tom

Edited by thbjr

If you look at the centre of the flower you have the yellow pollen anthers in the middle and surrounding that you have five stalks with a spidery looking bit on the end of each one. They are the styles.

Thanks Sheila. Now I know what the styles are. What is the differance in erect and ascending flower scapes?

I think I'm having a bit more luck. The plant is putting up another 'flower scape(?)'. Here is a picture.

DSCI0443.jpg

I took several pictures from almost every conceivable angle and hosted them here, if they might help making a possitive ID.

Tom

Hey Tom,

No worries, we'll "walk you through it". ;) So the styles are the female part of the flower, which in these species is spidery like Sheila described. Did you notice the difference between the styles of the two species in Christian's photos, how they seem to be longer in d.burmannii?

As for the scape, if it grows straight up from the rosette, then it is erect. But in some species, it 1st grows sideways and then upwards, forming a curve at the base, like an 'L'. This is called an ascending scape. This new scape coming out of your rosette looks erect. Considering that your flower is pinkish, I think you may have D.sessilifolia after all -- or maybe a hybrid?

Good luck,

Fernando Rivadavia

OK, then should I continue to give them away as unknown/hybrids, or send them to the ICPS seed bank as D.sessilifolia? Obviously I'm not the expert in the thread. :thumbsdown:

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Tom

Edited by thbjr

Hey Tom,

It would be cool if you could try to get a crisper shot of the styles so we could help you... Is this the only plant you have or do you have others? if so, do they always have pinkish flowers & erect scapes?

Thanks, Fernando Rivadavia

It's the only one from that grower, I have another "sessilifolia' from anothe grower that looks ;like it's twin, but hasn't bloomed. I'll get better shots when the new flower scape matures.

THANKS again for all the help.!!!