New Season

John Jearrard

I don't know about anyone else, but I have had enough of this winter thing. I seem to have done nothing but cut things back for months now, so I was really pleased to find a few signs of new growth while repotting. (Sorry about the bright white perlite - we hadn't just had a hailstorm!)

salata.jpg

Sarracenia alata.

sleuco.jpg

Sarracenia leucophylla.

srubra.jpg

Sarracenia rubra.

They may not be flowering yet, but it's good to see them working on it.

How is everybody else doing

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good John. I must take a look at mine.. The only difference here is that we are in a frost pocket!! Next time you are around this area John give me a call and we can pop up to Hawks Tor.

Yep, I notice some buds coming on one of my Sarras too!! Slightly worrying I think. Surely it cant be good if plants are breaking dormancy earlier. I guess it wouldnt hurt for a year or two ? but with all the global warming stuff it worries me how much dormancy they'll get in fifty or hundred years time when the weather will no doubt be warmer :happy:

Heather

I have a few plants where the buds are visible but not yet cleared the growing tip of the plants, yours are far more advanced than mine are. I have two vfts throwing up flower stalks as well. One of them is about 6 inches tall so far

Yep, I notice some buds coming on one of my Sarras too!! Slightly worrying I think. Surely it cant be good if plants are breaking dormancy earlier. I guess it wouldnt hurt for a year or two ? but with all the global warming stuff it worries me how much dormancy they'll get in fifty or hundred years time when the weather will no doubt be warmer :happy:

Heather

I don't think that we're at the same temps as the gulf states yet...... the plants seem to do just fine there.

I wouldn't bother too much about 50 - 100 years on.

Just make sure your offspring and theirs can tread water well

Jeez..talk about an early rise here!

I mean, a early awakening in late february..agreed..but this is insane :roll:

In a few years time, say 15, we all have to move north to ensure a proper dormancy for the plants...

Schotland is going to be crowdy :P:P

Risk of them not getting a proper dormancy in Northern Europe = nil.

Have a look at winter in Alabama. The days of us getting regular 21C+ in January are pretty slim I'd say.

It's not unusual to get buds appearing in February that don't start growing properly for another month.

Just how many of those reporting buds provide heating over winter?

No heating. Buds are growing, but it will be a long time yet before I see any open flowers.

The lowest temperature I have recorded this winter is -3C, which is colder than last winter.

No heating. Buds are growing, but it will be a long time yet before I see any open flowers.

The lowest temperature I have recorded this winter is -3C, which is colder than last winter.

that's not very cold. :wink:

I can't see any growth in my sarras.

lowest measure temp. over here: -9

Im one of the lucky ones-several signs of growth here with flower buds appearing on some of my sarras and vfts.I do live by the sea though in the english riviera where we rarely see a frost in winter.

It is a bit worrying though-spring seems earlier each year!

Just how many of those reporting buds provide heating over winter?

No heating here..and no glass even! (Foil)

But no bud's found either after a brief inspection just now..my lowest temp. was around -8 this winter..

Currently it's very sunny here...enough so to catch some sun in the backyard...temps at bench level reaching the 10 degree mark rapidly..

I guess temps. in the roof part will be much higer already..

Let's hope they'll sleep a month more or so..i don't want to weak traps!!