Cephalotus 'eden Black' Swindle?

gardenofeden

I have been concerned recently over a potential fake 'Eden Black' incident.

A European grower has told me that he was sold a small 'Eden Black' plant by a UK grower. As the originator of this clone, and with the knowledge that it is only been distributed to 3 UK growers, none of whom have sold on their plants or any parts of their plants it seems to me that something fishy is afoot!

If you have bought an 'Eden Black' from a UK grower (apart from me), then you have not bought an 'Eden Black'. If in doubt please feel free to contact me. The miscreant, once identified, will be suitably named and shamed and reported to the authorities.

Any clues in the Paypal name or username ?

If paypal was used the buyer can see the sellers info and if it where any other method they should have an address and name.

I would imagine the buyer has access to the name unless they havent paid for it ?

Edited by -=Joel=-

Sadly, there are hundreds of plants now in circulation that are nothing like the real thing.

Ebay is the worst place to buy CP's, even though there are some reputable sellers there are always a few bad apples in the cart waiting to rip someone off.

I recently bought a Clayton's Red Sunset vft from a private collector which I know to be 100% genuine but I bet it's only a matter of time before one appears on Ebay that is really just a typical red form .

Hmmm - I could put a photo of mine on the listing and then send the buyer a normal one and no-one would know the difference :thanks::shock: ..... only kidding - that's not the sort of thing I would do to a fellow grower. It shows how easy it is though so please beware if you buy from Ebay.

Edited by MITZI

Sounds like a good discussion, cultivars that look so alike you wouldnt know the difference So whats the point in paying the higher prices :thanks:

But back to the topic at hand, hopefully If they have been paid for by paypal or bank transfer they could be caught and legally tried for fraud right?

I agree tom499 - if they were named and shamed it may help to reduce the problem.

I'd love to know if they are active members on any CP forums... if they are they should be banned for life because it's taking advantage of the new growers who may not realise what they're buying.

Rant over, I feel better now ..... con-men look out, we're on to you :thanks::shock:

That is a huge plant on the Daves garden website.... 12 - 18 inches tall. I knew it was a special plant but not that special!!

Is that site offering plants for sale or just describing the cultivar? I can't see any reference to them being offered for sale

Sounds like a good discussion, cultivars that look so alike you wouldnt know the difference So whats the point in paying the higher prices :thanks:

Interesting you should think that Tom.

I think you'll find that Stephen is not charging for 'Eden Black', it's up to the recipient to donate what they feel to the CPS.

I have been surprised at the amount some will pay for 'Big Boy'..... I have only ever exchanged or given them away.

So who's making the money?

That is a huge plant on the Daves garden website.... 12 - 18 inches tall. I knew it was a special plant but not that special!!

Is that site offering plants for sale or just describing the cultivar? I can't see any reference to them being offered for sale

I think it's a bit like Wikipedia. Anyone can upload anything and so the contents are not to be trusted.

Apologies Fred, It was aimed at the VTF point made by MITZI, where i see variations I cannot tell apart however long I look. Yet are charged at crazy prices.

But like you point out, if someone wanted to make some money and has a similar looking plant they will sell to unsuspecting customers.

I recieved a plant named as Eden black from an UK grower. Unfortunately I have no further information who the seller was.

How can this possibly be? You must have payed him either in person, by post or through paypal, so at the very least, you must have his email?

"Eden Black "was grown from seed by Stephen Morley,so is unique.he registered it as so,so it can only be produced vegativley.

And as he states,he has only parted with a few plants to selected growers,he knows where they've gone!

so unless you got it from one of these people,the likelyhood is your plant isn't the true "Eden Black"

Ada

I recieved a plant named as Eden black from an UK grower. Unfortunately I have no further information who the seller was. After PMing with Fred I expect I have not the true one.

Our PMs were about 'Big Boy' NOT 'Eden Black'.

I was asking the identity of your supplier of 'Big Boy'.

How can this possibly be? You must have payed him either in person, by post or through paypal, so at the very least, you must have his email?

quite.

Bindig, you told me you paid with Paypal so you will find their email in your Paypal history. Come on, lets be open about this....who was it?

Your PayPal account maintains a record of every transaction. This information is available under the 'History' (histoire?) tab. All that you need do is specify a date range for the transactions that you wish to view. You should then be able to locate and view details of the particular transaction that you are looking for.

Bindig

how did you originally contact this person?

did they advertise the plant?

was it though this forum?

Hello,

The emailaddress in my paypal account is the following: [email protected]

I just tried to write her an eMail but the eMail returened to me.

Are there more people who bought plants from her?

Do you have an idea how I can reach her? Unfortunately I have only this old eMail address. Do you think paypal can help me?

Kind regards

Bindig

Hi Stephen!

i think that will be necessary an "official list" of the growers that have the Eden Black.

maybe will be the only way to avoid those annoying situations.

Alvise

I suppose that wouldn't hurt, but who is Helena Bentley? If she's a grower, somebody on this forum must know something about her .