Red Leaves

tom499

i dont like posting topics with questions like these as I usually get told its been answered before, but as the word 'red' is too short I've had 30mins of no luck scrolling..

Recently I bought a growlight for my bay window as I'm north facing and my plants weren't getting much light. Its a envirolight lamp, and I've put it quite close to the plants as the heat is just enough to give abit of extra warmth. My neps look pretty happy so far, but my N. diatas has a couple of leaves with red spots appearing.

Now from my experience with orchids like Cattleyas and Phals, abit of colour on the underside of the leaf means good light, but the red is appearing on the upper side of the N. leaf.

Is this just a sign of healthy light? Or does it mean too much, or is it another issue altogether?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tom499

My camera cant focus well enough to make it out (fail!)

It doesnt seem to make a difference to the texture of the leaf. Buts its a strong red colour.

Do a quick peek to make sure there's no scale bugs near the red. The first sign I had of some of those were some bright red spots.

Do a quick peek to make sure there's no scale bugs near the red. The first sign I had of some of those were some bright red spots.

Quite a few neps develope reddish hues in the leaves in strong light - you often see it in photos of them growing in the wild.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll give the leaves a good look over. I'm hoping its just a light thing, it does seem to have appeared since using the grow light, but I dont want my shortsightedness to lose me plants.

Tom449

I've had the leaves on my Ephippiata turn a nice reddish colour, which it seems is a bit like a sun tan and is completely natural.

I've also had small red spots (particularly down the vein in the middle of the leave) on my Burbidgeae, which I've taken to be disease and have treated accordingly with Bayers and the newest leaf is free from red spots.

If you search my old threads you should be able to see some of the responses, no pics I'm afraid though.

It seems an overall hue is fine but small red spots might be worth worrying about.

Heather

It looks like that, only theres more green around the red patches.

Something abit worse though, my N. fusca came and it has red spots with yellowing around the spots, mainly on the older leaves. These spots are more defined, rather than a reddish spread.

Until I can find a camera that can take decent shots I'm sorta screwed though.

tom,

My diatas came has a similar reddish colouration on some of the leaves which looks like it could be some sort of fungal infection to me, the plant however seems healthy enough otherwise and I haven't attempted to treat it at all, it arrived with the problem.

Can I ask where you got it?

wasted.