A Bog Garden Idea

johnnyfrye

I had an idea for a bog garden. I have literally millions of Legos, so I could build a bog garden out of them. I could build it in any shape, decide how many holes and where they are, and its free. Just an idea, but wouldn't it be AWESOME!?!

thats actually pretty clever, but i dont think it would work because the gaps in between the pieces would let any water in the soil leak out everywhere, and it would be unstable and fall apart very easily. Not something i would trust plants in. (Even Capensis :roll:)

Cody

Actually, If you you used some tall wall pieces and built it properly it could be watertight. And it could easily be soiltight. And it would definitely not fall apart. I have built huge cubes before and if you overlap the bricks it's extremely stable, more so than most people would think.

Edited by johnnyfrye

Guest Andreas Eils

:nono:

You are...erm...14 and still playing with Lego bricks???????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was 14 I was hunting girls...hehehe :lol:

Okay, just do it! Because I´m curious how it will look like and how the plants are doing inside! You could be really joining this year´s "Most Hideous Potting competition" with your Lego bog! :roll:

Regards,

Andreas

:nono:

You are...erm...14 and still playing with Lego bricks???????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was 14 I was hunting girls...hehehe :lol:

Okay, just do it! Because I´m curious how it will look like and how the plants are doing inside! You could be really joining this year´s "Most Hideous Potting competition" with your Lego bog! :roll:

Regards,

Andreas

Actually, there are whole communities of ADULTS who enjoy building with LEGO bricks. Conventions, even. And not just crap, they build really cool stuff. Look at my work if you want any examples.

And maybe I will build it tomorrow, only more small, like a large pot or something. I'll post picks when it's done.

Edited by johnnyfrye

Actually I'm 13

Your profile ( you wrote it ) says that you're 14.

The date you give as your birthday says you're 14.

Born Nov-26-1993 <---------- recognise that?

Just what is true about you? :biggrin:

Also I would biuld mine out of solid black bricks, and maybe put some minifigs (lego people) hanging dead from chains on the side. :biggrin:

With that post I'm perfectly willing to believe you're not 14.

Edited by FredG

Is lego plastic UV stabilised? If not, excessive exposure to sunlight and the elements may may it brittle, leading to it cracking and falling apart in time.

Don't worry, it is now built and under grow lights. See other thread for a pic.

• 1 year later...
To be honest, I don't think either of those three points are necessarily going to happen, or are going to be problem. I'm a bit confused by the third one as well!

Not my cup of tea, but I can't see any harm in trying it.

Well if you seen a sarracenia that has been grown in a pot from many years, you would see the damage to the plastic pot, also size of darlingtonia in pot can be large, so in the end the plant size with soil and water will just push the sides of blocks until they just pop apart.

I have to dig up the plants in my bog garden three times in the last ten as the plant just grow to big and the smaller plants like sundews, VFT and others get less sun light and room to grow.

Also as person that think ahead and work out that we have only one world ( until more money spent to get to another world ) and we Humans are spreading more over the land which mean our plants are becoming to a point at which, they may only live in collections. So may Plastic block made from a hard plastic which may take 100's of years to decompose and at the same put chemicals into the land & water. It just not green idea to use so many block to made a container that is at a size to grow a few plants. If you are going to have CP bog in a container, which is good idea to grow a group of Insectivorous plants, please use a item that is a bit greener or use an item like an old sink, bath, old whiskey barrel or another item like these.

Perhaps you two didn't notice, but this thread is allready two years old.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24969

I dont know if the plants are still alive

Yes I did but it was still a good item to talk about at this time as I saw no other topic that i wished to add too.

But now I have.

Just so you know, this Bog Garden doesn't exist anymore, and it hasn't for two years now. I realized it was a bad idea to paint it on the inside, and it looked plain ugly, and I have long since repotted the plants, and washed and re-sorted the LEGOs back into my collection.

This wasn't so much intended as a Bog Garden, more like a big pot. I get nearly zero sun where I live, and grow all my CPs in terrariums and none outside. This Bog Garden would have been sitting inside under grow-lights, and when the plants died, I would have simply put the LEGOs back into their appropriate containers, not leave the whole thing sitting on the ground like litter to 'put chemicals into the land and water'.

Also, I don't know if anyone here has experience with this, but LEGOs are very strong. Stronger than any plastic pot, when put together properly in box form. That, combined the the double-thickness of the walls, the paint on the outside, AND the fact that it would have been under lights inside a house in southern California where no real cold weather has ever came (despite the hopeful thoughts and pleas of some), made this Bog Garden very tough. I'd have bet money it wouldn't fall apart unless taken apart.

Edited by johnnyfrye