General Fungicides For Cps

Guest maria_eurynomos

Guest maria_eurynomos

I've read a lot of warnings about fungi during dormancy, and I'm about to have my CP's (Sarracenia, Drosera and VFT) go dormant soon. I don't have a fungi problem, I want to be prepared.

What fungicide (active ingredients) do you recommend in this case?

What fungicides do you generally use for CP's?

Edited by maria_eurynomos

• 4 weeks later...

like many people I rarely use fungicides, probably why you have had few replies.

The only effective fungicide against Botrytis (the most serious infection) was withdrawn from sale recently due to EU regs, so there are no systemic insecticides which will guard (preventative) against this. Even with fungicides, if your plant gets a bad dose of Botrytis you are best throwing it away!

Many fungal infections can be prevented by good hygiene and good ventilation. Saying that I do use Chinosol (8-hydroxy quinoline sulfate), a sulphur-based fungicide/bacteriacide when sowing seeds and on open wounds as a preventative. I am also a great believer in dusting cut surfaces of Sarracenia rhizomes with yellow sulphur powder.

If I'm understanding question properly, I see sulphur being a popular treatment. As Mr. Morley suggests, if you can provide that which can prevent the problem (heat, light, and exposure to the air), more power to ya. Some people also sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on the soil surface.

Maria, I use benlate but you can't buy it anymore. I also have a supply of chinosil, but I only use it as a preventative on seed and sometimes cuttings . If a plant has a fungal indecfion it won't cure it..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Brown

Hi, I have had real problems with Botrytis, I also ued to use Spot Less which was a benalate product, that helped, but is off the market now.

The RHS said ther is no fungicide effective against botrytis available to the public now.

As has been said before Air Circulation, Light and good hygiene will help prevent any problems.

Edited by Bob Brown

Wake up ? . What does doff hormone rooting powder contain .

http://www.doff.co.uk/pdf/ANACaptan/DoffHo...otingPowder.pdf

Hi, I have had real problems with Botrytis, I also ued to use Spot Less which was a benalate product, that helped, but is off the market now.

The RHS said ther is no fungicide effective against botrytis available to the public now.

As has been said before Air Circulation, Light and good hygiene will help prevent any problems.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0406/botrytis.asp

Edited by mobile

When I was a member of the begonia society . They used both fungicides and pesticides quite a number was what the commerical growers used and was legal . As far I as know their could still be fungicides and pesticides that the commerical still use that the amature can use . They use to publish in their bulletins about the pests etc and publish the addresses of where to buy from . Perhaps it could pay you to join .

When I was a member of the begonia society . They used both fungicides and pesticides quite a number was what the commerical growers used and was legal . As far I as know their could still be fungicides and pesticides that the commerical still use that the amature can use . They use to publish in their bulletins about the pests etc and publish the addresses of where to buy from . Perhaps it could pay you to join .

This reminds me of when I used to work for a tropical fish wholesaler. We brought tons of fish in every week and crammed them into small tanks to move them back out again that week. They were also heavily drugged to deal with all that shipping and overcrowding stress, so as to handle the bacterial infections and ich. By the time the survivors made it to the retail stores, they were far less crowded and stressed and far less likely to be contract illnesses. By the time they reached the hobbyists, most of the time they are dealing with "New Tank Syndrome". My point is that those who deal with massive quantities and shipping, they are the ones who need the most amount of preventative (and curative) maintenance. By the time they make it to the consumer, far less is required.