Sign in to follow this  
Keeper Dave

Transplanting From One Mini Bog To Another

I have plants in three mini bogs and I want to consolidate them into one larger mini bog. The plants are mainly Sarras (minor, Ladybug, Judith Hindle, psittascina, Dixie Lace) and a few sundews (alicia, capensis, slacki and a couple of volunteers I've become attached to). What's the best way to do the move. I understand that I should wait 'till they're dormant, maybe in January or so, but should I cut off the foliage? What's the best way to care for the roots? Anything else I should do?

I live in Southern California, USA.

Thanks very much.

Dave

Hi Dave,

tell us more about your existing mini-bogs,size ammount of plants etc.Then we can get an idea of how big the new bog has to be.Early spring would be about right to start the project,also add some new CPs-enjoy yourself.Here's how mine looked last March.....

2007_0508petesplants0004.jpg

Then later on in summer...

2003_0117boggarden0008.jpg

2003_0117boggarden0003.jpg

I'd like to do a really big bog,i.e an antique bathtub,the sort with the Lion's legs.Wouldn't that look great?

Thanks for your reply and questions!

I have a half barrel with S. minor, S. Judith Hindle, S. Dixie Lace, and a very small S. psittascina and a few sundews, a 12 inch (30cm) bowl with a small Dixie Lace and sundews, and a 18 inch (45cm) bowl with the S. Ladybug, a small Dixie Lace and a few sundews. The minis aren't very densely planted and the half barrel has some kind of tall, sturdy grass growing among the Sarrs that I kind of like and I haven't decided yet whether to include it in my future plans. All are about 2-3 years in the planters and all but the psittascina are doing very well. The psittascina seems to have been damaged by last year's unusual hard freeze and I'm hoping it will come back next year.

I want to plant the lot in one of those small, irregularly shaped plastic pools that are meant to be patio ponds. Probably on the order of five to six square feet in surface area. I'll probably include a few VFts and maybe a couple more sundews but I'll keep the density fairly low.

The best way to care for roots is to make sure that you scoop plants from below and around the whole plant. Even if you do disturb them, you can always carry a container of water to keep them in before moving. Healthy plants of what you have will likely teake distrurbance.