Vft In Dormancy

Username

I got this VFT a little while ago, from Morrisons. It's now in dormancy in my porch - it stays about 5C during the winter and has plenty of air circuation form the opening and closing of the doors.

I just wondered, first, is it normal that some of it's traps are yellowing and blacking? I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it is normal, but I wanted to check. When this had reached the base of the traps, I cut them off. It's also sending up new traps still.

And that brings me onto my puzzle: one of the new traps. The teeth are...strange. Pictures below (thumbnails - click for fullsize). I apologise for the poor quality.

dscf3765yc4.th.jpg

This shows the unusual trap and another new one (without teeth) near it.

dscf3769ph5.th.jpg

This shows a trap that is closed (not artificially - it has somehow managed to catch something) with the strange trap in the background.

Is this normal for new traps - having the teeth not close over each other while it sorts itself out? Or do I have a strange trap here?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Username

Yes, it is entirely normal for older leaves to die back. Your plant is looking good and still appears to be in active growth.

I can't see anything abnormal in your photos. If you mean the way the teeth are no longer interlocking on the closed trap, then this is a normal occurence during the closure and digestion process.

As Aidan says, sounds like there is no problem. I am not sure if what you are referring to as a 'strange' trap is a) one which is digesting or b) one that hasn't fully formed yet.

In the event of a):

The trap first closes with teeth interlocked. As the prey struggles, the trap forms a seal just below the teeth which then assume a near vertical position. If the trap is falsely triggered or there is no further stimulation of the trigger hairs once closed, the trap will reopen within a day or so without forming the seal.

In the event of b):

The teeth on a trap are the last part to visibly develop. As Aidan says, your plant is still in active growth and, hence, the new trap. Don't worry, if the temperature is as low as you say then just let the plant do its thing. It is probably feeling a bit out of season because it came from a tissue culture environment. Hopefully, it will be settled before too long! :)

• 1 month later...

I see your post was December and you still have growth and feeding activity (you lucky so and so).

I reckon come spring it could be a man eater - keep the kids and pets well away from it. KP

Don't worry about them, as long as they get dormancy they will be fine.

My poor lot live outside 365 days a year, no protection and look a sorry state until about April when they burst into life. The only care they get is water when needed and pick off dead leaves every couple of weeks during the winter.

• 2 weeks later...
hmm, vft's usually don't grow in dormancy.

what's the temperature?

It's in the porch, so about 5C. Possibly little hotter in the day, little colder in the night. But the sarracenia I have in there aren't growing so I thought it was ok.

The VFT almost certainly came from tissure culture. Maybe it just needs a while to adjust?

It's interesting...your plan looks very much like some of the ones I bought here in the states at Walmart about a year and a half ago. Those goofy flytraps aren't really going dormant either (not like I'm used to anyway). The plants have quite large traps and are very rosetted, but the leaves really aren't dying off like on all of my other flytraps. I've got mine in the cellar with temps in the mid 40s F (about 7C) and light from compact fluorescent bulbs for about 8 hours a day. I didn't bring the thing in from outiside this year until it was accidentally exposed to a very light frost. Odd duck indeed.

Regards,

Joe

Edited by joeb004

I've had to cut off maybe one or two traps, because they had gone brown. But the rest are green and ok. And from pictures I've seen on this forum, the traps are quite large - a couple of centimetres wide, I think. Is the fact that they aren't particuarly red (some are completely green) because they aren't getting much sun (it being winter, and them being near a north facing window)?

Yes, I got mine from a supermarket too, and it is very rosetted, although a couple of the new traps are a tad more vertical (barely, though). Maybe it's a new type? (:hopeful expression:)

Is the fact that they aren't particuarly red (some are completely green) because they aren't getting much sun (it being winter, and them being near a north facing window)?

Probably, they need good sun to go a nice red colour. Although not all vft's go a deep red in full sun, some stay green and some just go a bit red or pinkish.

Heather

Probably, they need good sun to go a nice red colour. Although not all vft's go a deep red in full sun, some stay green and some just go a bit red or pinkish.

Heather

So when I move them to the south facing window (or outside if I can) they should turn redder?

Oh, BTW, still growing! Three young traps and one developing teeth.

And I know this question is a bit early, but flowering? I've heard that it weakens the plant and if it is a sickly plants, may kill it. Is this true? And as I only have one, should I let it flower (i.e. can it be self-pollinated?), or cut it off if it tries to?

In general, the more sun the plant receives the deeper will be the colouration.

Flowering will not harm a healthy plant...or I'm in deep, deep trouble! :cool:

DionaeaFlowers.jpg

So, it's up to you whether you allow the plant to flower. Self-pollination is possible, but seed set is unlikely to be very good. ie. you will get some seed, but probably not a great deal.

Not a great deal is good - I have very limited space.

But the flowers looks pretty, so maybe I will let it flower (if it does). Do they flower in different colours?

Nope, they're all white.

• 1 month later...

OK, all white.

I've noticed today (as I'm about to put my sarracenia and VFT outside in a plastic greenhouse thingy) that my VFT has begun to send up a flower shoot. I need a quick answer, as I don't want it to put too much energy into the flower if I'm just going to cut it off - is it worth letting my VFT flower? I'm thinking to self-pollinate, so what sort of germination rates could I expect from a self pollinated VFT? Thanks.

If your plant is nice and healthy and you want to try getting seed then let it flower.

I've had quite a few flower spikes come up recently, I've taken them all off though - this year I prefer my vfts to spend their energy on growing rather than flowering, might let them flower for some seed next year though.....

Not sure about germination rates, anyone know if its different between self and cross pollinated vfts??

Heather

Thanks, my plant looks healthy enough (survived going from what I suspect was tissue culture through winter no problem). I'll probably let it flower.

I just read somewhere on here that self pollination gives lower germination results that cross pollinating.

I just read somewhere on here that self pollination gives lower germination results that cross pollinating.

Thats doesnt suprise me really but its worth a shot. I've found growing vfts from seed very enjoyable, I'm sure it would be even better from seed that you've produced yourself so best of luck with it :rolleyes:

Heather

I have read that also, but my personal experience is that I have noticed no difference. Perhaps people report this difference because for any given VFT flower, the pollen matures before the stigma is receptive. For self pollination, the grower may have difficulty finding a flower with optimally ripe pollen and another flower with optimally receptive stigma.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at my VFT today - there are three traps still developing, the flower spike is about 6.5/7cm tall, and there seems to be another spike developing too! Is this normal, to have to flower spikes?

(picture removed. Please resize - it was absolutely enormous)

Alexis