New Growth

Loakesy

Feed the plant well over summer. When the leaves die down put them in a cool but frost-free place and start watering again when the leaves sprout in spring.

Well it's not spring yet, but my unidentified 'Voodoo Lily' has decided to put up a new shoot.

The plant is in the greenhouse, in completely dry compost. It hasn't really done anything since about July, so this is all bit sudden!!

Do I water it? Bring it in? Leave it?

Any help would be gratefully received!

• 2 weeks later...

Have a very careful look around the top of the tuber. Look out for roots- if the roots are white and healthy then keep the plant damp (but not wet), if they are brown and shrivelled then the plant is just swelling next year's bud (a few species in my collection do this) and should still be kept on the dry side.

As for bringing your plant is... yes! Keep it somewhere frost free but cool, and if the shoot grows longer and starts to break then you will have to keep it warm and watered, but I doubt it will try and grow while the nights are long.

greenBen

• 1 month later...

My Dracunculus vulgaris and D. canariensis tubers aren't yet in growth but they are further along than I would have usually expected. Now it's in growth feed plenty of high nitrogen feed (standard dose every fornight) to bulk it up and give it plenty of growth fuel! Try and give it as much sun as possible and keep it away from low temperatures- there's no need to keep it in tropical conditions but you want it to stay in growth until autumn.

I see yours is already producing an offset...

greenBen

• 4 weeks later...