Sign in to follow this  
Laurent T

S. Purpurea Ssp. Venosa Var. Burkii F. Luteola

Hi,

I saw some photos of this plant at the site of Bob Ziemer.

Can someone give me some more information about S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii f. luteola ?

Is it rare in cultivation?

Guest Aidan

In Europe at least, the plant is still comparatively rare in cultivation and unless someone is raising plants from seed, I think Bob Hanrahan's clone is the only one in circulation. It's not the fastest growing of plants in the world either.

In Europe at least, the plant is still comparatively rare in cultivation and unless someone is raising plants from seed, I think Bob Hanrahan's clone is the only one in circulation.
I received some seedlings last year from a friend so I suspect that there are some out there (I don't think they were t/c). However, it does seem fairly difficult to find...
It's not the fastest growing of plants in the world either.

Agreed. Although my plants regularly put out new pitchers this summer, the plants did not increase in size very much at all. Mike Howlett offered a 3" plant (IIRC) in the NASC auction earlier this year. It fetched $150 USD (not bad!).

For some more details on the plant's history, here's a page from CPN.

Guest Sheila

Comparatively - in a relative manner; by comparison to something else;

So Aidans statement is absolutely correct. Compared to other plants of the species it is rare.

As far as I know, there are fewer than 20 luteola plants in Europe. It is painfully slow to increase, but there are some seedlings now in the UK.

Like this,

Picture_059.jpg

Hi Adrian,

Nearly! But it is not an f. luteola as you have the typical venosa there as opposed to var. burkii. The plant you have there even rarer than the luteola! :)

Mike,the lid shape gives it away,doesn't it? Myself,Steve T and i think it was John J errard who discussed this at your open day.It grows faster than the f.luteola,my other seedling although a lot smaller is growing faster than normal red clones.

ada

Edited by ada

:biggrin::yes: SNAP! I was first to say snap Howard.Does that mean i've won yours?

ada

:yes::yes: SNAP! I was first to say snap Howard.Does that mean i've won yours?

ada

:yes: Ah, but mine are 'luteola . Does that mean I win yours by penalty? :jive:

So there are 3 anthcyanin free S. purpurea species?

-S. purpurea subsp. purpurea f. heterophylla

-S. purpurea subsp. venosa (anthcyanin free)

-S. purpurea subsp. venosa var burkii f. luteola

It are nice plants!

Mike, you don't have seeds of a luteola available for sell?

I hope that the plant come available soon as possible.

Laurent,you will have to join the queue like the rest of us.Mike says its very slow to divide.

ada.

So there are 3 anthcyanin free S. purpurea species?

-S. purpurea subsp. purpurea f. heterophylla

-S. purpurea subsp. venosa (anthcyanin free)

-S. purpurea subsp. venosa var burkii f. luteola

It are nice plants!

Mike, you don't have seeds of a luteola available for sell?

I hope that the plant come available soon as possible.

Hi Laurent,

Rather tahn 'self' the plant, I have crossed it with a standard burkii which is my most vigorous clone. I will then cross these plants once they mature and lets see what happens!

You are correct regarding the list above, there are 3..

Hi,

I just wanted to know how rare this species still is.

How many people do grow this clone in Europe?

Are there any plants from seeds yet?

As far as I know, there are fewer than 20 luteola plants in Europe. It is painfully slow to increase, but there are some seedlings now in the UK.
While mine have been truly glacial with their growth (see pic below), two friends have plants that have a much more normal growth pattern (one is blooming this year).

I received 3 small seedlings early in 2007. Each year, the plants regularly add pitchers but show only a small increase in size. Since this is my 3rd summer with them, I was expecting them to be much larger. Here's a pic I took a few days ago of my largest 'seedling'...

Sluteola081809RS.jpg

Hi Ron,

Very nice seedling.

I did read Mike's post, but it is from 2007, that's why I asked it again. It is two years later now.

Antho-free forms are just single-gene recesive mutation. So the second generetion of the crossing that Mike mentioned will contain approximatly 25% of luteolas. I have just cropped about 1000 seeds from 3 plants...