S. Purpurea Ssp. Venosa Var. Burkii F. Luteola

Laurent T

In Europe at least, the plant is still comparatively rare in cultivation and unless someone is raising plants from seed, I think Bob Hanrahan's clone is the only one in circulation. It's not the fastest growing of plants in the world either.

In Europe at least, the plant is still comparatively rare in cultivation and unless someone is raising plants from seed, I think Bob Hanrahan's clone is the only one in circulation.
I received some seedlings last year from a friend so I suspect that there are some out there (I don't think they were t/c). However, it does seem fairly difficult to find...
It's not the fastest growing of plants in the world either.

Agreed. Although my plants regularly put out new pitchers this summer, the plants did not increase in size very much at all. Mike Howlett offered a 3" plant (IIRC) in the NASC auction earlier this year. It fetched $150 USD (not bad!).

For some more details on the plant's history, here's a page from CPN.

Mike,the lid shape gives it away,doesn't it? Myself,Steve T and i think it was John J errard who discussed this at your open day.It grows faster than the f.luteola,my other seedling although a lot smaller is growing faster than normal red clones.

ada

Edited by ada

So there are 3 anthcyanin free S. purpurea species?

-S. purpurea subsp. purpurea f. heterophylla

-S. purpurea subsp. venosa (anthcyanin free)

-S. purpurea subsp. venosa var burkii f. luteola

It are nice plants!

Mike, you don't have seeds of a luteola available for sell?

I hope that the plant come available soon as possible.

So there are 3 anthcyanin free S. purpurea species?

-S. purpurea subsp. purpurea f. heterophylla

-S. purpurea subsp. venosa (anthcyanin free)

-S. purpurea subsp. venosa var burkii f. luteola

It are nice plants!

Mike, you don't have seeds of a luteola available for sell?

I hope that the plant come available soon as possible.

Hi Laurent,

Rather tahn 'self' the plant, I have crossed it with a standard burkii which is my most vigorous clone. I will then cross these plants once they mature and lets see what happens!

You are correct regarding the list above, there are 3..

• 1 year later...
As far as I know, there are fewer than 20 luteola plants in Europe. It is painfully slow to increase, but there are some seedlings now in the UK.
While mine have been truly glacial with their growth (see pic below), two friends have plants that have a much more normal growth pattern (one is blooming this year).

I received 3 small seedlings early in 2007. Each year, the plants regularly add pitchers but show only a small increase in size. Since this is my 3rd summer with them, I was expecting them to be much larger. Here's a pic I took a few days ago of my largest 'seedling'...

Sluteola081809RS.jpg

• 3 weeks later...