Drosera Binata "marston Mill"?

Neil Cornish

I have tracked some more info about the "Marston Mill".

When Adrian Slack was in Australia he took back a number of plants with him to the UK.

Marston Mill is the result of a cross between Binata dichotoma and multifida.

I can also guarantee our plant is the real deal. The person who bought this plant into Australia then passed some onto Fred Howell who then released it to others. This happened well over 30 years ago.

Geoff

I have tracked some more info about the "Marston Mill".

When Adrian Slack was in Australia he took back a number of plants with him to the UK.

Marston Mill is the result of a cross between Binata dichotoma and multifida.

I can also guarantee our plant is the real deal. The person who bought this plant into Australia then passed some onto Fred Howell who then released it to others. This happened well over 30 years ago.

Geoff

I thought he named that cross 'Marston Dragon'....unless he named more than 1?

• 2 months later...

Marston's-Mill is The-Sarracenia & The-'Dragon' is The-'Hybrid'-Binata ... apparently Due-to it's 'Dragon'-Claw-like Appearance, Red-Colouration of The Tentacles of The-Lamina and it's 'Floppy'-ness of Petioles ... Which Make The Dragon-Claws 'Hang'-down Spectacularly in HANGING-Pots.

The-Golden-Giant is-Apparently The-'BEAST' sent to-Charles-Darwin ... and is-'Suppose'-to-Grow 3/4-Metre ie ~75-Centimetres above Pot-Surface.

I-'Saw'-R-Binata of 'This'-STATURE in-1992, But was Not-'Allowed' to Photograph-it for-it 'Apparently' Came from Some-Lady in-The-South-East of South-Australia ... and The-Laminas Were Like-'Hands' and Really Gave The-Feeling of-R "Presence" in-The-Greenhouse Behind-Me and-"I" Did The-Other Photography.

In-1998 I-Got-'Me'-Hands on R-Golden-Giant ... Which-was 'Then' at ~45-Centimetres and Has Since 'Lost' 2.5-cm Each-Season Thence ... so-Now it Grows Barely 4-Inches Tall!!! PATHETIC. >(*~*)<

When-"I"-Can Get-it to-Revert Back to 45-Centimetres Tall and Beyond I'll Call-Myself an-Expert, I-Guess!!! >(*U^)<

Hi Richard. Here in Tassie the binatas get much much taller when growing in the shade, among tea tree scrub. I have seen well over 45cm tall. I would doubt they'd keep this stature when grown normally though.

Miguel.

Marston's-Mill is The-Sarracenia & The-'Dragon' is The-'Hybrid'-Binata ... apparently Due-to it's 'Dragon'-Claw-like Appearance, Red-Colouration of The Tentacles of The-Lamina and it's 'Floppy'-ness of Petioles ... Which Make The Dragon-Claws 'Hang'-down Spectacularly in HANGING-Pots.

The-Golden-Giant is-Apparently The-'BEAST' sent to-Charles-Darwin ... and is-'Suppose'-to-Grow 3/4-Metre ie ~75-Centimetres above Pot-Surface.

I-'Saw'-R-Binata of 'This'-STATURE in-1992, But was Not-'Allowed' to Photograph-it for-it 'Apparently' Came from Some-Lady in-The-South-East of South-Australia ... and The-Laminas Were Like-'Hands' and Really Gave The-Feeling of-R "Presence" in-The-Greenhouse Behind-Me and-"I" Did The-Other Photography.

In-1998 I-Got-'Me'-Hands on R-Golden-Giant ... Which-was 'Then' at ~45-Centimetres and Has Since 'Lost' 2.5-cm Each-Season Thence ... so-Now it Grows Barely 4-Inches Tall!!! PATHETIC. >(*~*)<

When-"I"-Can Get-it to-Revert Back to 45-Centimetres Tall and Beyond I'll Call-Myself an-Expert, I-Guess!!! >(*U^)<

Thanks Richard for the info.

By going on your info it seems we have the real thing.

One other thing, the Golden Giant is the only form of binata we have that goes completely dormant below the ground in winter, it pops up again just before spring.

Geoff

Hi Richard. Here in Tassie the binatas get much much taller when growing in the shade, among tea tree scrub. I have seen well over 45cm tall. I would doubt they'd keep this stature when grown normally though.

Miguel.

I have seen D. binata growing up through vegetation on the Kopuatai dome in the North Island of New Zealand that was 80-90cm tall.

The leaves had over 20 points to them and the petiole was 60-70 cm long.

But there was only 2 or 3 leaves per plant.

The same plants growing in the open have far more leaves and are only 30-40 cm tall.

LeeB.

'Sounds'-like You-NEED to-Get Back-Up-THERE with-R Camera, Pretty-Damn-Smart, and Get Something in-The-Can for CPUK ... Since-"I" 'Saw' Nothing-like 'Thart' in-Bruce-Salmon's Book!!! >(*U^)<

Would-make for R-Wonderful Field-Report and Opening for The NEW-Year!!!

'Sounds'-like You-NEED to-Get Back-Up-THERE with-R Camera, Pretty-Damn-Smart, and Get Something in-The-Can for CPUK ... Since-"I" 'Saw' Nothing-like 'Thart' in-Bruce-Salmon's Book!!! >(*U^)<

Would-make for R-Wonderful Field-Report and Opening for The NEW-Year!!!

I don't have any photos of my own but have asked some of the people who have been there with me to check if they have any.

If they have I will see if they can post some here.

LeeB.

• 11 months later...

That-'Looks'-like R-'T'-Form to-Me ... MARSTON's-Dragon Has the 'Claw'-like Forks ('Tines') & Usually Hangs-OVER The-Edges of-R-Pot, so-to-Speak &-Is R-Lot-more 'ROBUST'-Looking Even-though it-Can't 'Support'-Itself ... Which-Is 'Why' it-Hangs-OVER The-Edges-of-R-Pot!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<.