Small question

Zongyi_yang

i have a question; what is the difference between D. binata and D. dichotoma? i can't seem to see any difference. is their growin conditions different, or is their something else? thanks. Zongyi

could be, but on the savage garden, it shows 'Drosera binata' and 'Drosera dichotoma "T-form"' on page 140-141. if they where the same plant, he wouldn't list them twice. :???: Zongyi

Things may have changed since, but according to Slack there are the following forms of D. binata:

D. binata 'T Form'

D. binata var. dichotoma 'Small Type'

D. binata var, dichotoma 'Giant Type'

D. binata var. multifida

D. binata var. multifida 'Extrema'

D. binata var. multifida 'Pink Form'

I have been studying on those particular Drosera and consequently been reading Slack's and D'Amato's book. I believe that D'Amato for the sake of brevity simply didn't write D. Binata Var. Dichotoma. He mentions on p. 139 that the "Fork-leafed sundews" are all quote:

"Usually referred to as varieties of one species, DROSERA BINATA, their taxonomy is still doubtful. - thus the names of some forms may change. Most...have been used for convenience and have no legitimate value."

Thus, I find Slack and D'amato are in agreement. Simply, that - using the list Aidan included - Slack WROTE:

Drosera Binata var. Dichotoma

When D'Amato, after saying they all were from Binata in the beginning of that section, only wrote:

Drosera Dichotoma

D'Amato was simply being brief in his writing. But, clarified well in his opening paragraph as to why he used brevity.

:D However, Zongyi...I have no answers as to what the variation from D. Binata is to it's Dichotoma variety. Perhaps the difference simply lies in the flower alone, as that happens frequently. :D

The different varieties of Drosera binata are basically separated from one another by the number of forks and points on the leaves. Names such as D. multifida and D. dichotoma are not legitimate ones and are used by some growers only for convenience. Possibly some time in the future these plants may be separated into species of their own by a taxonomist, but until then they should be referred to as varieties of D. binata only.

D. binata 'T Form'- is the typical form of D. binata that only forks once. This form is the most common and found along the east coast and south of Australia across to WA and New Zealand. Usually a dark green plant with red glands.

D. binata var. dichotoma 'Small Type' - This form forks twice to form 4 points. This variety is generally a warmer growing plant than the typical variety and is found growing up the east coast of Australia only. These plants grow to a similar size as the typical 'T form' which is usually around 20cms tall.

D. binata var, dichotoma 'Giant Type'- Is the much larger version of the previous form (up to 60 cms) which has a golden green colouration. This plant also only occurs on the east coast of Australia from about Sydney northwards.

D. binata var. dichotoma 'T-form'- Is a plant that is about the same size as a giant dichotoma with the same golden green colouration but with only one fork and two points. Also an east coast plant.

D. binata var. multifida- In multifida the leaves fork again, this time to produce 8 points (generally, there are always exceptions). These plants are also only found on the east coast of Australia and also begin at about Sydney.

D. binata var. multifida 'Extrema'- Even more forking in this variety can produce an amazing amount of points. I think sometimes up to 64 points per leaf (possibly more). This plant occurs in a sub-tropical climate on the northern half of eastern Australia in the state of Queensland.

D. binata var. multifida 'Pink Form'- Same as the var. multifida but with pink flowers.

An interesting point is that I have seen populations of plants which often show variety. In a population of the typical D. binata in southern Australia (the state of Victoria near Melbourne) you can sometimes find plants (usually only a couple per population) that fork more than once and others that fork only once but are much larger with the same golden green colouration of a giant dichotoma. These populations have been seen in areas many hundreds of kms from where the var. dichotoma varieties are found. These plants are probably not what you would call a var. dichotoma, just an aberrant form that has mutated amongst a large population.

Hope this helps.

Sean.

• Like 2