Summers End

soxer123

Visit My Website trough

As summer (what we had of it) comes to a close, I have a question or two to ask the experts who assemble here.

This is the pitcher plant I bought eary in the summer, which had two small pitchers on. It's grown a bit hasn't it ?

I assume the brown edges on some of the pitchers is due to the age of those pitchers.

As the plant starts to become dormant, is there anything I should do apart from reduce the amount of water ? It seems to me that there is a lot of new growth which won't grow any more this year.

I am only guessing, but I reckon the plan stops attracting insects as it did so well all summer, I wonder if it is a scent thing. Whilst I still have a few housefies buzzing about, I've not seen any fall victim for a while now.

From this photo, can anyone identify this pitcher ? I have in a smaller pot a purpurea doing well, but the pitchers on this are different.

I wonder if I should do any trimming of the plant, or just leave it alone ???

Thanks in anticipation Keith.

I would just leave it alone! As the leaves die off and go brown, snip them off so that they don't encourage mould, but otherwise it'll be fine left to its own devices.

The plant looks like a purpurea hybrid of some kind!

Edited by Loakesy

I assume the brown edges on some of the pitchers is due to the age of those pitchers.

As the plant starts to become dormant, is there anything I should do apart from reduce the amount of water ? It seems to me that there is a lot of new growth which won't grow any more this year.

Where are you growing it? From the picture it looks like it's indoors, which isn't a good long-term plan, it needs to be allowed a dormant period over winter, which it won't get if it's in a heated environment. It also looks like it could do with more light, too, so I'd be inclined to find it a sunny spot outside.

From this photo, can anyone identify this pitcher ? I have in a smaller pot a purpurea doing well, but the pitchers on this are different.

I wonder if I should do any trimming of the plant, or just leave it alone ??

its a hybrid with purpurea in it, but beyond that I doubt you'll ever know much more about it's parentage. As for trimming, I'd allow the leaves to remain until they die of their own accord, then cut them off at the base (purpurea leaves can last for a couple of years, unlike most other sarracenia).

And yet, if it's a purpurea, I've not put any rainwater in any of the pitchers as the necks seem too narrow.

My other pitcher (the one i use as an avatar) is a purpurea (sounds like a bumper sticker) and that has very bulbous pitchers which I do put water in.

All in all I am pleased with the progress, considering it's only on my desk by the window and the lousy summer we had.

Thanks for the response Keith

Thank you for the note about the lack of light. As for the dormancy period, i can move it to the downstairs toilet where there is no heating (in fact any place but the lounge in this flat is unheated).

Keith

You see that hybrid around a lot in garden centres. Only pure purpurea requires water in the pitchers, not hybrids of it.

Remember there are far more attractive examples of sarracenia available for sale at online nurseries and the like. Tissue cultured plants can grow poorly in their early life and there are far nicer plants around than that godforsaken purpurea hybrid you see everywhere (no offence!)

I would echo what everyone else has said. It's a bit late this year to worry, but next year I would try to find a sunny spot outside for it. Until you get it in full sunlight you will never see its true colouring. You will probably find the pitchers will stand more upright and you won't get all that small growth.

The downstairs toilet will need to remain below 10C for the plant to have a good dormancy. It's better than a heated room if that is your only other option though. As it goes into dormancy which will probably be end of October to early November, let the tray dry up and just keep it damp. the only other thing you need to do for it is to trim the dead pitchers back as they die off and keep an eye out for fungal problems. other than that just wait till you see new growth starting in spring when you can start treating it as you have done all summer.

I appreciate your frankness. The 2 purpurea I bought this year were my first foray into CPs after more than 20 years away from them.

Living in a flat, I don't have ideal growing conditions, but next year I intend to expand my collection, especially of Sarracenias, so advice is appreciated. Keith

And yet, if it's a purpurea....

Best not to think of it as "a purpurea". Like I said, its a hybrid of purpurea with one or more other species, therefore it's only "a bit of purpurea"....

I understand that you live in a flat, but what are the possibilities of putting the plants outside for the winter (even if it's just either side of your front door)? Purpurea is the hardiest of the sarracenia, and won't need any protection from the elements where you live - they're almost certainly more likely to suffer from being too warm than too cold...

Yes, they need to be kept oputside in the cold for the winter, but isn't there going to be a problem with suddenly shocking the plant with outside temeratures without acclimatising it for several weeks/months first? Would it not be preferable to leave it in the coldest spot indoors (or perhaps in a shed), and leave it until next year to leave it out permanantly?

Would it not be preferable to leave it in the coldest spot indoors (or perhaps in a shed), and leave it until next year to leave it out permanantly?

Where I live, it would be out there for less than an hour before being nicked !

I would prefer a shed to a cool room inside. Even unheated rooms will get some warmth from the rooms that are heated and may feel cold, but are not usually cold enough for long periods. Just don't forget it's in there. It won't need water often, but you can bet if you forget it for a few weeks it will dry out just a bit too much.

That's ok if you have a fridge with room for plants, but it can encourage problems with fungal disease because of the lack of light and ventilation in such a small space. The fridge will be fine if you really have no other way, but outside in a sheltered spot or in a shed or outhouse somewhere will be much better.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sheila

I would think it would be better outside. Even with the window open, the general temperature of a kitchen is usually above 6C which is the average temperature required for a happy, successful dormancy. You can always bring it in to to a cool area inside if we get a big freeze.

all Sarracenia need a dormant period. Even seedlings get left out in the cold, so even the weedy one needs a sleep or it will be even weedier next season. Just as in summer your plants will need to become accustomed to lower temperatures to avoid shock, so you would be best to start getting them used to it now. Just give them a little protection from heavy frosts or snow. purpurea can stand it without problems, but other pitchers in pots can especially leucos and leuco hybrids are just a little bit more delicate.