Germination results of seed from Stewart McPherson

chimanta

Guest nhamata
Hi

Here are a few pics of some of the Philippine species raised from Stewarts' collections.

Nepenthes attenboroughii. I have 5 of these, this being the largest at 11cm from pitcher to pitcher. The leaves are a fantastic bronze colour and edged in fine hairs. Very slow to start with, only recently have they started to gain in size.

Nepenthes_attenboroughii.JPG

Nepenthes deaniana. This has been the quickest to grow and this one is now 16cm across already.

Nepenthes_deaniana_1.JPG

Nepenthes deaniana pitcher. 4.5cm tall.

Nepenthes_deaniana_2.JPG

Nepenthes mantalingajanensis. By far the slowest of all. These two, the largest are about 5cm across.

Nepenthes_mantalingajanensis.JPG

Nepenthes petiolata. Qiute fast and wonderfully hairy with thick, suculent leaves and brightly-coloured, tubby pitchers. This one is 10cm across with 5cm pitchers.

Nepenthes_petiolata.JPG

And finally a non-Philippine plant but it was grown from some of Stews' seed from Papua New Guinea. This is the highland/intermediate form of N. ampullaria, collected at 1200 masl. This plant is 15cm across.

Nepenthes_ampullaria_highland_form.JPG

Cheers

Andy

Hi all! this is my my biggest Nepenthes attenboroughii (sory for the bad qality) IMG_0178.jpg

when I started to grow it hi land it stopt growing... when I grow it low land/intermedier it grow fast as weed... how do you grow yours?

Happy growing!

/Ludvig

Hi,

My "wavy leaves" seedlings do not develop wavy margins at all. They look like "regular" N. maxima.

But my N. maxima "elongated form " are starting to develop that feature. I wonder if Stewart hasn't mix his labels. Maybe the "elongated" actually are the "wavy leaves" and vice versa:

p1100962.jpg

François.

Hi,

Here's a photo of the latest leaf on one of my N. maxima "Elongated form", and as can be seen it is quite wavy. Apart from the red coloration, I think another nice touch is the distinct sub-peltate insertion of the tendril. Whether this trait persists remains to be seen.

jan10maxLL.jpg

It can very well be that there has been some kind of labeling mix-up between these two. However, although we know what the Mt Sesean form looks like, I don't recall ever having seen photos of the "Elongated form". It is possible that this one also sports wavy leaves, even if it does not have the extremely frilly leaf margins as the one from Mt Sesean. In the book - Stewart - mentions that wavy leaves is not an uncommon trait for N. maxima. This can also be seen in some of the photos in the section dealing with this species. It is especially noticeable in the diminutive form from Sulawesi. However, I agree for now the identity of these two indeed seems suspicious.

BTW, did that diminutive form ever make it into cultivation? I believe Alfindra (longor) have distributed seeds of a small variety, and Ricardo (albermarlesounds) have done so also, but whether any of these are the same as the one Stewart found is another question.

Here are two siblings of N. petiolata. I can't say that they have increased much in size, but then I haven't come to terms with the BE clone either. It is probably so that my growing conditions is sub par for this species.

jan10petiolata1.jpgjan10petiolata2.jpg

Regards,

Christer

Yes i have this diminutive form in vitro, but it is still small. From what i have seen not all plants in this population have wavy leaves.

BTW even the wavy leaves in this miniature form cannot be compared with the wavy leaves on the plant which posted Stewart McPherson ( i cannot find the picture now :Laie_97: )

this is the miniature form from longor ( Sulawesi 1600m ):

2-10.jpg

BTW, did that diminutive form ever make it into cultivation? I believe Alfindra (longor) have distributed seeds of a small variety, and Ricardo (albermarlesounds) have done so also,

I've got several - about 2 dozen mini's from longor, about a dozen mini 'clone 1' and one 'clone 2' (need to resow these) from Ricardo. I've also got about 2 dozen of each from his giant wavy leaf clone 1 & 2 - I hope these have more wavy leaves. They are all still just young seedlings at the moment, so too soon to tell how they will turn out.

Yes i have this diminutive form in vitro, but it is still small. From what i have seen not all plants in this population have wavy leaves.

BTW even the wavy leaves in this miniature form cannot be compared with the wavy leaves on the plant which posted Stewart McPherson

I haven't claimed that the diminutive form and the Mt. Sesean have the same shape of the leaf margins. I even used the term "frilly leaves" for the Mt. Sesean form to emphasize the distinct shape. What I wanted to address is that even if the cultivated plants have started to exhibit the wavy shape, that doesn't exclude them from being the "Elongated form". Right now the wavy margins isn't extreme in any way. It may turn out to be in time, and then we may have to reconsider the identity. If someone already have mature plants, some input would be helpful.

this is the miniature form from longor ( Sulawesi 1600m ):

That one does look similar to the one pictured in the book, and the altitude matches as well.

BTW, my biggest Mt Sesean have a new leaf coming which hints that it may get wavy leaf margins, but until it opens up it is difficult to say what is going on.

Regards,

Christer

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

i have checked my N.maxima "wavy form" from Mt.Sesean after a time and my guess that it does have something to do with N.albomarginata has been confirmed at least in one of 2 clones. Second clone i have, is too small. The pitchers does have white ring under peristome !!! So i guess the seeds are hybrids with N.albomarginata and/or has been mislabeled and are from different location...I have no idea if N.albomarginata grow on Mt.Sesean.

I hope Stewart will explain it soon ....

I will post the picture soon.

Hi,

Could it be that you got seeds from another source at the same time?

The reason I am asking is that from what I remember Stewart only offered seeds of species from Sulawesi and the Philippines that specific time (correct me if I'm wrong), and from what I understand N. albomarginata have not been been found in any of these areas, at least not yet.

Regards,

Christer

Hi,

One of my 'wavy leaf' maximas from Mt. Sessian has now indeed formed very wavy leaves. (2) The seedling\plant is maybe 15cms+ across, and the pitchers are typical red spotted maxima pitchers. But only one plant has these features so far, out of about 10.

Hi,

Here's a photo of the latest leaf on one of my N. maxima "elongated form", as can be seen the leaf margins have distinct waves. The latest pitchers have looked kind of freaky though.

march10maxLL1.jpg

march10maxLL2.jpg

As an update to an earlier post, I should also mention that I was wrong when I thought I saw signs of waves on my Mt Sesean. When the leaf actually unfolded it looked perfectly normal.

Regards,

Christer

• 8 months later...

Hi,

While tending my plants, I noticed that one of the N. maxima "Mt Sesean" had sent out an inflorescence, from the looks of it male. Being cramped for space the growth had hit the top of the terrarium. Although the last few leaves have no pitchers, the ones before them were lowers, so the plant is still quite small. It has yet to produce the wavy leaves that this variety is supposed to have.

maximasesean.jpg

Regards,

Christer

• 4 months later...

Hello everybody!

Yes, want to show my plants :biggrin:

Here is my N. bellii, I received it as a little seedling in April 2009 and the seeds was, obviously, harvested by Stewart.

How are your plants now? Not just the bellii but also the deaniana, maxima, mantalingajanensis...etc

In my terrarium, I didn't realized how big it is; I can't wait for the upper pitchers!

img6105y.jpg

img6112pk.jpg

img5930s.jpg

When I received it:

img4037nd.jpg

Louis

Edited by Papilio

• 1 month later...

Got these seeds from Stewart a few years ago now, as you can probably see quite a wide range of sizes (probably down to slightly different growing conditions more than anything else) the biggest are just just starting to get some decent size pitchers this year. Not fast, but nice steady growers and great house plants!

5718932632_431127065b.jpg

5718942770_64bc7fe5d6.jpg