More Stapeliads

Tim

I trust on a board like this where people are slightly wild, no one will object to me sharing more of the "carrion flowers", those which smell literally like crap to attract flies as polinators. The first is Tromotriche revoluta and the purple frilly things around the edges are, perhaps, metalic colored and easily moved by the slightest breeze to look like flies like other flies clustered around a dead body, as a signal "hey, there's grub!":

tromotricherevoluta_1_1.jpg

The next two are just pretty. Stapelia aperta and Piaranthus magificus

stapeliaaperta_1_1_1.jpg

piranthusmagnifica_1_1_1.jpg

Guest Andreas Eils

You seem to grow a lot of bizarre "things", Tim! :D

That proves there are a lot more exciting greens than only CP´s. Very beautiful flowers. Keep those photos coming! BTW are you also growing Aristolochias?

Kind regards,

Andreas

No Aristolochias yet! Aidan, it's funny, although the flowers all have a different type of vileness, the combination of smells when several are in bloom is more like steer manure than the more grotesque individual smells.

Very true, as long as they are in the greenhouse during the winter. If not, basically every one of them dies from the wet and cold. The sunlight helps with blooming, and the hot weather during the growing season can really make the plants grow like mad.

For shear bizarre beauty, these flowers outstrip most others in my opinion! My S. obducta looks like it's about to flower too, and I've never actually smelled a carrion plant flower before, so I'm quite looking forward to it! :D

Stunning Tim!!!

I'd really love to have a large collection of carrion plants like yours, but at the moment it would have to be at the expence of my CPs. I don't have room to have it both ways!! :)

Maybe one day...