Growing dionaea... (3/08/08)

amaury

Hello everybody,

I grow VFTs since more than five years and my dream was to breed dionaea's forms :wink:

This year, I had enough adult plants in enough quantities to make the crossing that I wanted, so in spring, I crossed dionaea and I collected (a lot of) seeds in july... I sold some of them to members of this forum and I began to seed some of them.

I decided to grow a part in vivo (100% sphagnum) and the other part in vitro (I'm just beginning...).

The breedings made this year :

"Fused Tooth" x "Akai Ryu"

"Akai Ryu" x "Fused Tooth"

"All Red" x different forms

"Giant" x different forms

"Sawtooth" x different forms

"Fine Tooth x Red" x different forms

"Dents de Requin" x different forms

"Tiger Teeth" x different forms

"All Green" x different forms

Some picture :

I began to seed in vivo in august :

INVIVO1.JPG

In september :

INVIVO3.JPG

INVIVO2.JPG

Soon, I will seed in vivo : :roll:

civ1.JPG

The only crossing I made in 2006 :

"X11" x "Red and Green"

INVIVO2006.JPG

I'm very curious to see wat my breedings will give :woot:

Some new pics in october!

Amaury

Edited by amaury

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no technique, you just pot them up and grow them the same as if they were in moss peat. They grow quite well in moss, you just have to keep the moss at a level where it doesn't overgrow the plant.

I find that live moss in its brown state will soon overwhelm anything growing in in 6 or so weeks. That tray of moss may well end up as a big green carpet, smothering the dionaea seedlings :o

Personally, I find it's best to sow on a mature blanket of green moss, or on a bed of moss with half a centimetre of peat on top.

As stated already there is no technique. All you have to do is to make sure the moss doesn't overgrow the plants, which is exactly what Alexis has described, his own personal way to stop moss smothering his plants.

Moss is a good medium for growing. If your plants don't do well in it, then it is nothing to do with technique and you maybe need to look at other things within your conditions that could be giving you problems.

Hello everybody!

I use 100% of dead sphagnum for the germination and after 6 months-1year, I put them in a mix of peat moss and sphagnum.

I use only sphagnum for the first month because it keeps a lot of water, it's doesn't flee little plants (>< moss peat), it doesn't "invade" (>< alive sphagnum) and it's a very good soil for the roots.

But it is a more poor substrate than peat... It's why, I put them after some month in a mix of peat moss and dead sphagum.

If I obtain a special dionaea, I'll diffuse it :thanks:

Some news : The first little traps of some seeds (coming from "All Red") are already red!

Thanks for your comments,

Amaury

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody,

Some news of my seedings :

Before it begins to freeze in my green house, I have put my INVIVO plants in a little terrarium (40*30*30).

I noticed some difference in the germination rates : Seeds coming from "All Red", "Giant", "Dent de Requin" and "Akai Ryu x Fused Tooth" have a good rate; better than those coming from "Fused Tooth x Akai Ryu" and "Sawtooth" (only 10%, so 1 or 2 plants).

On the right side of the picture : "Giant x ?" (n°2,3) and on the left : "All Red x ?" (n°2).

7dec5.JPG

"Akai Ryu x Fused Tooth" n°9

7dec6.JPG

"Dents de Requin x ?" n°4

7dec7.JPG

"Fused Tooth x Akai Ryu" n°1 --> The picture is not good but we can already see some fused traps :rolleyes:

7dec8.JPG

News of INVITRO plants...

I made four seedings in october :

One of "Fused Tooth x Akai Ryu" = Not infected but no germination picture n°1

One of "All Red x ?" = Not infected and germination (It grows very well :laugh: ). picture n°2

One of "Fine Tooth x Red x ?" = Not infected and germination.

One infected. picture n°3

Last Monday, I made 12 seedlings... I hope I'll have not a lot of infected vials :smile:picture n°4

picture n°1

7dec2.JPG

picture n°2

7dec3.JPG

picture n°3

7dec4.JPG

picture n°4

7dec1.JPG

Wow, you're very serious about your breeding program! Looking very good!

Hi Alexis,

It seems serious but that doesn't take a lot of time :wink:

The most important part was the breeding, now I just have to put water in the terrarium each week and I have nothing to do for the Invitro plants (lighting is programmed). :happy:

Amaury

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Amaury, your plants truely look awesome, couldn't help noticing the huge vft's next to the, already amazing, seedlings.

I'm wondering though, since I couldn't find any helpful information about this, if you could explain (or someone else who knows) wat exactly is In vivo (I googled it up fyi and the only thing i found was information about diseases and references to in vitro) I already know it means "Inside a living organism", but that doesn't clear anything up now does it?

regards

I'm wondering though, since I couldn't find any helpful information about this, if you could explain (or someone else who knows) wat exactly is In vivo (I googled it up fyi and the only thing i found was information about diseases and references to in vitro) I already know it means "Inside a living organism", but that doesn't clear anything up now does it?

Hi Celox,

It's just to say that they are not grown in a bottle but in "natural conditions".

But I agree with you, it's not the first signification of this word :biggrin:

In vitro literally means "in glass", in vivo refers to a complete organism (vs a part of them). I think that what amaury means by in vivo is "ex vitro".

That's a very well planned scheme you've got here, and for a novice in in-vitro you're doing a very good job. One small pointer: no matter how good the precautions were, you always have to consider self-pollination during the cross-pollination process. Keep that in mind when you encounter a plant that stands out among its siblings.

Edited by Frederick

That's a very well planned scheme you've got here, and for a novice in in-vitro you're doing a very good job. One small pointer: no matter how good the precautions were, you always have to consider self-pollination during the cross-pollination process. Keep that in mind when you encounter a plant that stands out among its siblings.

Hi Frederick,

Thanks for the compliment.

The self-pollination is possible but is very unlikely for the dionaea for two reasons : the flower is protandrous and I cut the Anthers when the flowers opened. But I keep in mind that it's possible that some seeds came from self pollination.

An other impressive picture :tu:

This plant has been seeded in october, it has so only 4-1/2 months old!

For an idea of the scale, the width of the bootle is 6cm (so the width of the picture).

This dionaea is more mature than a 20 months old vft grown in natural conditions :yes:

I lost some seeds of my last seedlings because I left them too long in bleach and they never germinated!

See you

civ130207.JPG

Edited by amaury