New Sarracenia

Username

So just today we were looking round garden centres (actually looking for miniture apple trees, but we were one month early), and in one garden centre, there were pitcher plants. They also sold giant nepenthes, but I don't have the right conditions for them, nor the money.

I could afford, though, this pitcher plant. But, unfourtunatly, none of the ones in pots had labels. So I don't know what it is. I have taken a couple of pictures of the only pitcher that has veining, and one of the whole plant. Can someone help ID it, and also tell me whether it needs thinning out, because it's really packed? It was pushing the bottom of the pot I got it in, and overflowing the top (hence the fact I got that one - value for money). I was going to split it, but the rhizome's actually quite small, so I simply repotted it. I know it's quite young, and probably came from tissue culture.

But still, can you please try and ID it, and say whether or not it needs thinning? Thanks in advance.

Below are thumbnails. Click for the bigger picture.

dscf2778hs4.th.jpg

The whole plant ^^

dscf2779bd2.th.jpg

The pitcher with veining ^^vv

dscf2780bm2.th.jpg

Whatever it is, you're going to have a lot of fun seperating all those seedlings :D

I think it's one of those retrograde leucophylla hybrid mongrel thingies. :biggrin:

It will look a lot better when it gets more light. :yu:

Tissue culture can be fantastic, but also a curse. The first plant has serious hormone problems from the tissue culture process which has made it grow many many poor quality pitchers. Plants in this situation are more prone to fungus and disease.

Try and look after it, but don't be suprised if it doesn't make it over winter.

My advice is to get some healthy plants from the numurous online nurseries in future.

I've also found that TC plants tent to sulk for a while after they've been re-potted before they really take off. I bought a rather nice looking flava last year, re-potted it and let it to its own devices. This year it has done virtually nothing except produce weak con-carnivorous leaves.

I've found VFTs to be much the same, producing weak, small traps for almost the entire year after I buy and re-pot them!

(The most recent VFT I posted photos of, I never re-potted!)

i too have found this slow down after repotting TC'd plants.

That plant may even turn out to be S. "judith hindle"....

it is too soon to tell, but i wouldn't be suprised!

That plant may even turn out to be S. "judith hindle"....

it is too soon to tell, but i wouldn't be suprised!

I'd be surprised. 'Judith Hindle' is not in TC over here and is a relatively uncommon plant that circulates only amongst collectors.

The plant will be one of numerous unnamed and unknown Dutch hybrids.

Well, it's been split and repotted. I put two or three seedlings in each pot, because I read somewhere they grow better to begin with if not alone. But I'm worried.

When I cut the rhizome, it was white on the outside, but slightly brown inside. I suspected rot but carried on anyway, hoping that because they were split up, they might not die. (weird logic. hmm?) Also, only one of the plants got potted with a root. The others fell off. Is this ok? And if the plants do die from rot, should I tell the place I got them from, and try to 'claim' or something, seeing as the rot didn't come from me? Or at least tell them to check their plants?

I'd be surprised. 'Judith Hindle' is not in TC over here and is a relatively uncommon plant that circulates only amongst collectors.

The plant will be one of numerous unnamed and unknown Dutch hybrids.

i think its so funny how we each have our own strong points when it comes to CPs. you all have cephs in super markets....over here we can sell a good sized clump for about 300$ :smile:. over here....A LOT of people have 'Judith Hindle' and its really not that hard to get as we have it in super markets! same with N. x 'Gentle'(there) and 'Miranda'(here)

Alex

Does the plant look like this?

dsc09645640x480sl2.th.jpg dsc09649640x480hs0.th.jpg dsc09650640x480um8.th.jpg

It looks similar, but more mature. Got this a few months ago and yes, it's one of those mongrels too :thumbsup:

The only pitcher with colour did. Unfourtunatly, that picther is down pretty much dead- it is on one of the sections I think is less likely to survive, as it is the droppy-est. The others are surviving, if not exactly thriving. Is a little browning and drooping normal for recently seperated tissure cultures?

Glider, Aidan was lucky enough to find some nice sized Cephs in a garden centre once a few years ago. it was a one off incident though and hunt as we will, none of us have found them in garden centres since then.

It was three pounds, hence the fact it wasn't in very good condition (rot). I check the rhizome for rot every now and again, and am now down to three sparse pots (:cool:) only one of which ahs a root. Will the others grow roots, and it is ok if the big pitcher I posted for ID is browning form the top down? Or is that v. bad?

Edited by Username

If the others are free of fungal infections they will grow roots. A plant that is dying through lack of water is usually recoverable, but one that is suffering from rot is one you really should pass buy no matter how cheap.

Make sure that any rhizome that is not good living tissue is got rid of. Cut into the rhizome until you find good living centre that is a nice creamy white colour. Brown is dead and will just encourage more problems. Once all the rot is gone, then you can concentrate on trying to pull the remainder of the plant through. Keep it damp, not soggy wet and new roots should grow. It may take months but they will eventually grow.

If the others are free of fungal infections they will grow roots. A plant that is dying through lack of water is usually recoverable, but one that is suffering from rot is one you really should pass buy no matter how cheap.

Make sure that any rhizome that is not good living tissue is got rid of. Cut into the rhizome until you find good living centre that is a nice creamy white colour. Brown is dead and will just encourage more problems. Once all the rot is gone, then you can concentrate on trying to pull the remainder of the plant through. Keep it damp, not soggy wet and new roots should grow. It may take months but they will eventually grow.

Ok. I was already cutting away the rot, and I check every now and again. I think their is no rot, and I will lower the water levels anyway for winter. Thanks.