Sarracenia Purpurea

John Jearrard

With many of the other species starting to look a bit tired, I thought some pictures of S.purpurea looking good would be nice. They have had a really good summer!

purp1.jpg

I grow them all in a plastic house, because it keeps them from damage outside. I also get problems with Jackdaws stealing the labels, blackbirds stealing the moss and pecking through the pitchers to get at the flies.

purp11.jpg

I quite enjoy the mix of red old pitchers and green new pitchers that S.p.purpurea often shows. This is an almost completely ordinary form, making a sturdy little plant.

purp10.jpg

S.p.purpurea.

Hughes Bight, Newfoundland.

This one is quite interesting because of the unusually closed lid. It opens as the pitchers age.

purp2.jpg

S.p.purpurea heterophylla.

It is just a really splendid little plant.

purp7.jpg

S.p.purpurea.

Upper Peninsula, Michigan.

This form, with very slight veining in the pitchers, has been distributed as "semi-veinless", growing in bogs where heterophylla occurs,, and as ever, people have suggested that it is a hybrid (which seems to be genetic nonsense). My plant was very pale, but has coloured up a lot through the year.

purp8.jpg

A curious seedling, derived from the naturalised population at Roscommon, Eire. Almost veinless pitchers. The natural variation in colour of S.p.purpurea is quite wonderful.

purp13.jpg

This is the one that doesn't count - once called S.p.purpurea riplicola, but it is only an environmental variant. Taken away from its native alkaline habitat, it is indistinguishable from S.p.purpurea.

purp9.jpg

S.p.montana. This one is usually assumed to have a closed mouth, but photos from habitat show that it is quite variable.

purp4.jpg

S.purpurea venosa. A tissue cultured clone with a rather atypical lid, but which is growing into a spectacular clump.

purp6.jpg

S.purpurea venosa burkii. The Florida population of S.p.venosa, with paler pinkish flowers. A great many of the plants in cultivation claiming to be S.p.venosa are actually burkii. Typical venosa is actually quite uncommon.

purp12.jpg

S.purpurea venosa. Gulf Coast.

This is an example of a plant, obtained as venosa, but given the location, clearly burkii !

purp3.jpg

S.purpurea venosa burkii. Veinless form.

This is a beautiful little plant. I am always astonished that it has enough chlorophyll to survive, but it seems to manage.

Hope you enjoy them!

John.

Hi Ada, my veinless came from Bay Co, but as far as I can see it is the same as the Walton Co. form. I have also seen it as 'Melissa Mazur', but I'm not sure if that is a particular selection of the veinless form, or coining a name for the whole group. I had also heard that Phil Wilson had selected a special form from seed - any further information very welcome ?

John, mine came from Phil as 1 of three different seedlings.mine was one seedling,one of the others he named Melissa Mazur and i dont know what happened to the third. That's all i can tell you,but one or two people have divisions of my plant.

Ada.