Fungus-best Way Of Dealing With It

Username

Just come back from caravaning, and found that the sarracenia leucophylla that I got through the post, not only is dying off (but apparantly this should happen fo it can grow again) but the brown shrivelled stem's bases have a thin white furry coating on them. I suspect this is fungus. As soon as I find somewhere to put it, I'm moving it away from my other, as yet healthy sarracenia. But, for curing the fungus, what should I do? Spray, fire, what? Or, as it needs to die back, if the roots are ok, just cut the stems off? Help!

Of the fungus? I can't seem to find it. I scraped much of it of when I first saw it, and have just now replaced the top couple of centimetres of peat, and it seems to be gone. The roots look fine, with some small new growth, but all above the soil is brown and shrivelled, dying off.

Hm... :smile:

The rhizome did seem dark coloured, and a little peeling, but when I got it, it was like that, so I assumed it was normal.

But there was small green growth around the roots, and one person said that normally when you get plants through the post, the bit above the soil has to die off first so it can grow again.

Edited by Username

If you give it a slight squeeze you can feel if its hard, which means a healthy plant. Or if its squishy then its a goner.

If its a bit of both, you may be able to save it by cutting away all the brown rhizome away but its chances will still be slim im afraid.

Joel

If it is hard when when squeeze it, you have a chance.

If it is healthy a plant can come back with even 0.5cms of rhizome. Just keep you fingers crossed and give it a little squeeze every few days to see if its still infected.

Might also be worth to keep it slightly drier than normal but make sure the media is still damp.

Joel

Edited by -=Joel=-

The interior of a live, healthy rhizome is white. I can't see any white tissue in your photo.

Even if roots appear healthy, the rhizome may well be entirely dead and Sarracenia do not regrow from roots. Keep cutting the rhizome back until you hit white tissue. Then cut it back a bit more. If you never find a hard, white area (and it doesn't look as though you will), the plant is stone dead.

Guest Sheila

I would contact the person who sold it to you if it didn't look healthy when it arrived. It is not normal for pitcher plants to die off or look particularly unhealthy after posting. Some Drosera may look a bit sorry for themselves and recover, but I would not expect it of a Sarracenia. The majority of the pitchers on the plant should be alive and healthy as well as the rhizome.