Sign in to follow this  
scottleroc

Flea Collars

I have recently read a couple of books on CP's and learn't alot of new information. Now to the question.

Recently I also had alot of attacks from aphids. My cape sundew pot now wears a flea collar and the infestation seems to be dying down.

I read about this in the book Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato who mentioned using flea collars to get rid on the green pests. I was curious to know if anyone else had tried this method with any success?

I just didn't really want to use any chemicals on my plants if at all possible. Hense the flea collar idea.

But does it work 100% of the time? :D

Guest Aidan

Flea collars don't eliminate fleas from cats and dogs and so I seriously doubt their efficacy for any other application. I once read that the best place for a flea collar is in the dust-collection chamber of your vacuum cleaner... I tend to believe it.

Provado is the best solution to the majority of insect pests and being a nicotine analogue is relatively benign in comparison to most insecticides. Alternatively try a pyrethrin based insecticide. Not as effective (and only available in spray form, so bad news for Drosera), but the active ingredient is actually derived from plants.

I just didn't really want to use any chemicals on my plants if at all possible. Hense the flea collar idea.

Flea collars are of course impregnated with chemicals... often quite nasty ones. They also come in two types: The first is impregnated with a volatile liquid insecticide and the second with a solid insecticide that when worn by an animal is released by abrasion. The latter type can not possibly work with plants.

Flea collars don't eliminate fleas from cats and dogs and so I seriously doubt their efficacy for any other application. I once read that the best place for a flea collar is in the dust-collection chamber of your vacuum cleaner... I tend to believe it.

:wub::wink::wink: