Big Mouth And Finetooth X Red - The Same??

I rather hope that green edging disappears as traps mature :thumbsup: Or would if we'd had much of a summer this year.

The green band on the larger trap in the second photo is much reduced compared to that in the first.

Like Aidan I find that the young 'Akai Ryu' /Red Dragon plants are totally deep red but as they get older they develop the green edge.

By "young" do you mean seedlings? I find that new traps of mature plants have the green edge, but as the leaf gets older, it loses the green edge if given adequate light.

By "young" do you mean seedlings? I find that new traps of mature plants have the green edge, but as the leaf gets older, it loses the green edge if given adequate light.

No these are offsets from the parent plant. I noticed it last year with others - the young offsets are all red but as the plant ages they become green edged.

DionaeaAkaiRyu005.jpg

The mature plant was all red last year while the offset is now all red. Maybe it is just my plants.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest Sheila

My akai ryu looks exactly like the one chrispy has posted. I have bought two royal reds in recent years from two different sources and both have been completely red with no green edging at all. There are too many differences in the plants in circulation today for any of us to be sure of our plants true identities any more. :tongue:

Every VFT grower knows, that each VFT grows differently year to year. They are not always consistent. Some years they are redder in color, some years they are lighter, that goes for All Red VFT too. Some years the traps are a bit bigger, some years they grow a bit more upright, any trait you observe can vary over time. The biggest factor being the exact growing conditions are impossible to keep exact.

Even perfectly grown VFT eventually they cycle down, for any number of reasons, all due to their changing growing conditions. When they cycle down they begin to look like any number of other VFT. That is how all VFT grow, they have good months and bad months, they have pest attacks, they grow up to the pot edge, etc. etc. etc.

Regarding trading Named VFT clones. You have to trust your source. And then grow them the best you can and enjoy. Nearly all the people involved in naming and distributing VFT clones that are discussed over and over again on these forums are alive and reachable by telephone, email, mail etc. If you want to know more about Red Dragons or Green Dragons or Petite Dragons or Red Piranhas or Clayton’s This or Clayton’s That or Creeping Death or Dentate or Dentata or South West Giant or basically any other reasonable Registered or Named VFT clone the originator is alive and reachable.

If you grow your special VFT clone redder or larger than that what is described (published) or common knowledge, it is probably because you just grow it better than the originator or other growers do. Also, just because every All Green VFT you grow eventually shows some red coloration, don’t panic. Because All Green VFT do show some red at various times, regardless of what the originator publishes or tells you. Same goes for Big or Giant VFT, if the originator named it Giant then it is definitely a Giant in their mind.

Keep your VFT well labeled, because I may want to trade with you in the future.

Brad

Ventura California

I agree with Brad as well.. It's more about the growing conditions that makes most Flytraps look the way they do.

I have a good method of growing Flytraps indoors under lights. As the seasons progress, I adjust the photoperiods bit-by-bit and I leave a window open near them and they are on the floor giving them seasonal temperature variations with a nice-cold winter.

By doing so, I get consistant seasonal variation in my Flytraps. They start with the large, low growing traps, morphing to the elevated, colourful traps to the upright traps with the deep arch, back to the lower, deeper coloured traps before going to the dormancy-type traps.

Only had the current, stable set-up since I moved into my current apartment two-years now but it's been working consistantly so far as opposed to the past where the dormancy may not have been deep enough nor seasonal variation as great.

My Typical Flytraps morph the way they should throughout the seasons, and some that are named do what they are supposed to do (grow low, red, or whatever) We'll see what happens with the "Giant" I think that one was just an older Flytrap that was big that the Nursery sold as "Giant".

I grow under high-lighting. Typicals can have their traps become all-red. What if I called them "Redheads"

Now years ago, I grew on a balcony in SF that got so much sunlight I had a "Black" Red Dragon. Imagine if I distributed it as "Black Dragon"?

Anyways, too many Types of Red Flytraps as well as Giant variety's. I have seen indisputably Giant Flytraps, I also think there's a lot of bogus ones out there too.

Bogus description alert: High, upright traps with a deep arch late in growing season. Or low, large traps early in growing season. That's what typicals typically do!

Maybe we can experiment with typicals and see how much variation due to growing conditions we can find.

I dunno, just felt like sharing my experience and opinions here too.... :tu:

Also, are "Big Mouth" and 'B52' the same descriptions?

I agree with what you're saying, but whilst there are plenty of 'typical' VFTs, the range is still quite varied so there has to be some description somewhere. The problem is that 'rosetted growth habit, large red traps' turns into red rosetted and then 'Red Rosetted'.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add that my Big Mouth resembles Bobz's since I started to grow it in an outside mini-bog fully exposed. Before then, under completely different growing conditions, it got strong colouration in its traps, so looked much more like Finetooth X Red. I had purchased mine from South West Carnivorous Plants in April 06.

My Royal Red is also solid red with no green margin. I only ever saw green on it when it received slightly less light. I had received a giant all-red in trade last year, which looks exactly the same, though I was expecting this. They both have the same colouration now (even under different growing conditions) and both seem to be slow growers.