To Fry Or Not To Fry . . . That is The ?

Entwadumela

Hiya All-

After doing the "search" thing in regards to how to properly acclimase/acclimate a new VFT that has been either purchased online from another state that has slightly different growing conditions (ie. different humidty), grown in a greenhouse or purchased locally at a place where its growing conditions were less than optimal ( ie. supermarkets, big box hardware stores).

This is what I mostly found.

Being placed in a proper medium and using the water tray method, many of you suggested putting the newly acquired plant in full sun(of course this is all done at a place where the humdity, temp and photoperiod requirements are met). If the traps and leaves got burned, so be it. The leaves and traps that will follow will be better for it.

While others recommend using several weeks to slowly acclimase/acclimate the new plant from a bright shady spot to full sun.

Which method will produce or keep a nice, vigorous growing healthy plant? :huh:

But what say ye, the method preferred by those in the know?

Thanks to all that respond.

E cheers/

The Acclimatize Theory is basically false.

You cannot acclimatize VFT to strong sun.

Formed leaves and traps that were not grown early on in the sun will burn when exposed to the sun. But the new growth will be fine.

The problem is the burned leaves take a toll on the plant as it tries to survive. The burned leaves are not dead but are obviously losing much water and resources from the sun damaged tissue, at the expense of the rest of the plant. If the burn is bad, it is best to cut off the still live but scarred tissue, so the rhizome can give all its resources to the new growth.

What do I do?

I put all my VFT out in Very Strong Sun. They burn, I cut nothing off, the burned leaves die, the new growth is fine, the plant is set back a bit, no big deal.

Brad

Ventura California

To nurse a weak (basically dead) VFT back to health, put it under florescent lights.

Great post Brad.

But I'm thinking, if you place the newly required VFT in full sun, and the traps and leaves do get sunburned and then you either leave the burned leaves and traps or trim them off. Doesn't this jeopardize its photosynthesis capabilities? I mean, the less green, the less food. It is already in a weakend state due to different environmental changes and by burning and trimming, wouldn't it jeopardize the plant even more?

At least with the "slow" method, there is a less of a chance of sunburned, so the more green you have and the more photosynthizing will be happening.

Again, just thinking (know wonder my head hurts).

E

Guest Aidan

I no longer have to grow Dionaea outside. But, any plant grown under glass that is suddenly exposed to unfiltered sunshine will burn.

...others recommend using several weeks to slowly acclimase/acclimate the new plant from a bright shady spot to full sun.

You have already described the way to go about acclimatising plants. Whether or not Brad is correct in what he says about existing leaves being unable to adapt, I feel it is better to allow plants the opportunity to gradually adapt to new conditions.

Alexis, brings up a good point. Newbies. The “Newbie Syndrome” is when everything the good intentioned Newbie does, is exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time.

The well read very knowledgeable Newbie knows that VFT grow very well outdoors in Full Sun. Every Experienced Grower knows that the VFT is going to suffer some Sun Burn, not a big deal. But the Newbie soon sees the plant suffering, the once green petioles begin to redden, the traps begins to slowly blacken. Panic sets in, the plant is dying (not), the Newbie is frantic. The plant either comes indoors, or into shade or something worse. This is exactly the worst thing that can be done. The damage is done, the burn has occurred, now the Newbie has compounded the problem by trying to protect the plant, the new growth is now being shaded, the plant will now truly weaken and possibly spiral slowly to its doom. If the VFT had just been left out in the sun the new growth would get a better start for the sun loving VFT.

Brad

Ventura California

The “Newbie Syndrome” can be observed in

Repotting

Water Quality

Watering too much

Watering too little

Terrarium Growing

Reaction to Pests and even worse reacting to pests which are not there.

Soil substrate

The list is endless.

Recommendation: do not be a Newbie for a long time, and even worse do not use the advice of Newbies.

To really understand VFT takes time, they grow in an annual cycle, that takes a year in itself to experience. Do not let being a Newbie last you a lifetime.