Advice on Cephalotus leaf cuttings

LJ

Hi all,

Im wanting to try some leaf cuttings from my cephalotus but not really sure how to go about it.

Im hoping someone can advise thats had experience with this??

Thanks

Heather :D

Hi Heather

Taking leaf cuttings from Cephalotus is a very easy affair. The non-carnivorous leaves are best, although the pitchers can be used too. Using a gentle downward tug, pull the leaf away from the rhizome. The downward motion will make sure that a little of the rhizome will be attached to the leaf petiole (stalk).

Place the leaf on the surface of some live sphagnum moss, making sure that the very end of the petiole (the severed end) is covered by a little moss. Keep the whole thing humid and bright, maybe placing it into a clear plastic bag. Within 2 months new roots and small shoots should appear. A mature plant can be raised to flowering size in about 18 months using this method.

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for the advice Andy and Aiden, think I'll try it in live sphagnum.

Just one question...... Andy you say I need to pull the leaf off with some of the rhizome attached, if I pull the leaf off without this will it not work??

Thanks

Heather

Here's a pictoral to help:

C_follicularis.jpgoriginal plant from elgecko, showing the winter leaves

AF003201.jpgsame plant a couple years later

IMG_4309.jpgWhen that plant was in trouble I plucked a leaf, basal part included and placed in live LFS.... and waited several weeks for it to strike.

IMG_0156.jpgsame leaf cutting, several months later.

I placed it like a chip dip in the media, uncovered. I have two more leaves, from the plant produced by the leaf cutting, for now a 3rd generation. Those are in with the parent plant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice Andy and Aiden, think I'll try it in live sphagnum.

Just one question...... Andy you say I need to pull the leaf off with some of the rhizome attached, if I pull the leaf off without this will it not work??

While I try to get as much of the full leaf & stem as possible, they seem to be less sensitive to missing a piece of rhizome than VFTs. Be patient, it may take a while .... If the leaf stays green, good things are going on below the surface. :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

Hi all, ive just read this post and have decided to give leaf cutting a go. Ive taken your advice on the tooth pick and taken the leaft from as close to the rhizome as i can get to. Ive buried this into some choped LFS about 2mm deep. This all sits in a 2" pot of 50%peat 50% perlite mix toped with about 1" of LFS. For the time bieng this is sat in a little water and covered in a dome to retain humidity. All this has been treated with Trichoderma.

th_16218_DSC00764_122_621lo.JPGth_16243_DSC00760_122_74lo.JPGth_16246_DSC00761_122_834lo.JPG

Have I donr anything wrong or will this produce me a new little ceph in a few months?

Looks ok, although personally I normally bury the leaf a bit deeper so you cant see any of the stalk at all and live sphagnum is thought to be the best media to use but you can also use peat. All six leaf cuttings I've done have worked well using that method.

Heather

Edited by LJ

I use a peat/perlite/sand 1:1:1 mix. I dibble a hole in it to approximately the depth of the leaf stem, place the leaf in the hole then fill the hole in with a plug of live sphagnum moss.

• 6 months later...
Is Trichoderma necessary? Is there another readily available alternative?

Not really. There is some debate as to whether there are any benefits with using it on carnivorous plants and I'm not aware of any controlled experiments to confirm its effectiveness in CP species. There are some growers who have been growing Cephalotus for many years and have never used it. I'm not aware of an alternative.

They can take a while so would think its better in spring and summer rather than late autmn/early winter.

If you have a grow light then you should be bale to do them at any time of the year though........

Regards

Heather

• 2 weeks later...
They can take a while so would think its better in spring and summer rather than late autmn/early winter.

If you have a grow light then you should be bale to do them at any time of the year though........

Regards

Heather

I've got a grow light on mine and keeping the moss moist. Do I need to put plastic over the top or anything?