How to Grow Aldrovanda and Aquatic Utricularia?

taywf1234

For aldrovanda you have to put a thin film 2-3 cm peat on the ground of the bowl ( the bowl have to be at least 2ltr) and ballast it with grit. Than fill the bowl wit rainwather ( put a plate in the bowl und let the wather flow on it so the grund would not be swirld up) then you should wait for a few day so the wather get adjustet. You should put bulrushes or Pistia stratiotes to grow in the bowl so the the algas has no nutrients to grow, bekause algas can be a big problem. Than there should be no prob to grow aldrovandas, I am not sure abaut it but utricularias shauld grow under the same conditions. Aldrovandas need a lot of light alt least 2 hours of sunlight a day , tropical forms can be grown under tungsten light with no problems. I hope I can help, and sorry for my bad english.

• 1 month later...
For aldrovanda you have to put a thin film 2-3 cm peat on the ground of the bowl ( the bowl have to be at least 2ltr) and ballast it with grit. Than fill the bowl wit rainwather ( put a plate in the bowl und let the wather flow on it so the grund would not be swirld up) then you should wait for a few day so the wather get adjustet. You should put bulrushes or Pistia stratiotes to grow in the bowl so the the algas has no nutrients to grow, bekause algas can be a big problem. Than there should be no prob to grow aldrovandas, I am not sure abaut it but utricularias shauld grow under the same conditions. Aldrovandas need a lot of light alt least 2 hours of sunlight a day , tropical forms can be grown under tungsten light with no problems. I hope I can help, and sorry for my bad english.

Hello,

Aldrovanda grows under the same conditions as Utricularia, but is much pickier...

This year my Utricularias where fine but Aldrovanda was more of a failure.

The trick is to get the right balance.

Regards,

Alexander

I'm contemplating obtaining a small batch of Aldrovanda. I can easily provide grit and peat, but I was wondering how they would fare as window sill plants or under artificial lighting. Do they require some seasonality, with regard to photoperiod and/or temperature?

my plants are on my shelf. ill probably have to get a fish soon to help out with eating the algae (anyone know a small-ish fish that will eat algae but not my plants!?) my aldrovanda and U. gibba are growing strong(with a flower on a few aldrovandas) and they are under artificial fluorescent light.

Alex

• 3 years later...