Sign in to follow this  
stewart

Nepenthes of the Philippines

Dear members of the CPUK forum,

I thought you might like to see a selection of photos of some little known but extremely interesting Philippine Nepenthes.

In particular, the diversity and beauty of N. alata has astounded me since this is a species which has been perhaps a little underappreciated in recent years - at least in terms of documenting its multiplicity.

Over the last two months I have been studying the great variation within this species and have been constantly surprised by the great number of colour forms and morphological variants which are apparent across the Philippines.

N. mindanaoensis similarly shows a remarkably diversty in terms of the colouration and shape of its traps and I hope you like the photos of this very beautiful species.

N. merriliana is spectacularly huge and certainly among the largest species within the genus, whereas by contrast, N. bellii is surely among the smallest!

301.jpg

Nepenthes alata

302.jpg

Nepenthes alata

309.jpg

Nepenthes alata

310.jpg

Nepenthes alata

314.jpg

Nepenthes alata

311.jpg

Nepenthes alata "elongated variant"

305.jpg

Nepenthes bellii

315.jpg

Nepenthes bellii

306.jpg

Nepenthes mindanaoensis

307.jpg

Nepenthes mindanaoensis

308.jpg

Nepenthes mindanaoensis

313.jpg

Nepenthes mindanaoensis

303.jpg

Nepenthes merriliana

304.jpg

Nepenthes merriliana

312.jpg

Nepenthes merriliana

These photos and many others will be in my up coming book 'Pitcher Plants of the Old World' - the themes of the multiplicity of lowland Nepenthes and the astounding diversity within the genus are ones which the book will focus on and address.

My best regards to you all

Stewart

• Like 1

Attempting the topic of diversity within species sounds refreshing Stewart.. Another book to study I fear!! :twisted:

Beautiful Neps and photos :shock::shock::shock::shock:

How long was the Alata "elongated variant" pitchers?

How big was Merilliana pitchers?

Mindanaoensis on third and fourth photo look a little bit like a variety of Alata.

All these Alata forms and variants are beautiful!!

i love it! awsome pics, as are your other posts!

thanks for sharing (and whetting my nepenthphile taste buds!)!

:lol:

After studying N. alata and related species a lot more... I don't believe there is a single shot of N. alata in this thread, and it may not even be present on Mindanao. What Stewart is shows us here in this thread as N. alata appears to me to be two different species, neither of which are N. alata. Not sure what that really long upper pitcher is of either :wall3: