Royal Red from hell!!!

solfami

You got my vote too. Dispose of it. Do not underestimate fungus and virals. They can spread anywhere and at anytime. Just like with humans. Oh and by the way isolation is practically impossible, unless you put it in a terrarium with no outer air flow.

Bla, bla, bla. Try Topsin (benzimidazole) or any other systemic fungicide. It will work. I had a fly trap that looked similar (also royal red). Treated with Topsin and after a couple of weeks started to look fine.

Jan

Benzimidazoles are the most effective broad spectrum fungicides. They kill almost every fungus effectively and provide protection for a very long time.

Except for one: Botrytis. Botrytis cells have a very effective mechanism to pump the poison out from their cytoplasma.

Query on the internet: thiophanate-methyl

Jan

Some of the leaves look OK (like in the lower right of the first photo).

If it were my plant, I might be tempted to give it a second chance, and repot it into a slightly less soggy-looking, more well drained and faster drying mix, give it a little less water (or let it mostly dry between waterings) and more light, then see if the condition clears up. I probably would isolate it from the rest of my plants though; my plants grow inside a greenhouse. I would probably put this one (if it were mine) outside.

The condition does look pretty bad, and also fairly mysterious. I personally have no idea what might be causing it, except to say that it does look like some fungal infection is affecting the plant. Whether that is the primary cause of the plant's problems or merely an opportunistic secondary symptom is hard to say.

Good luck. As others have said, Royal Reds are fairly easy to come by now, so you might just allow it to die, dry, and then put it in the trash where it will be carried far, far away, or just burn it if that's not too depressing a thought after the care you have put into getting it to grow.

You might consider keeping your Venus Flytraps' mix less saturated with water. In my opinion (others will differ) it is better for them to be moist, not wet, most of the time. Too wet and either too hot or too cold can encourage a variety of fungal infections, in my experience.

Best wishes,

Steve

Couldnt burning it risk spreading whatever is harming the plant to anything in the burn area thus multiplying the risk exponentially by means of ashes etc?

even though the issue is probably over by now :oops:

-J.P.

Fungi and viruses can be resistant to much, but not to fire. No contagiosity in ashes.

Hi all,

thanks for your opinion.......

I've got to say that even the small leafs that look like normal are infected too.......

According to my opinion the very strange thing is that this attack, maybe due to a fungus, appears only on summer leafs.......this is the second year it happans, during spring the plant is very beautiful, perfect in winter, but during summer and a bit even during autumn something happens..........i think this is strange.......