How to grow Nepenthes Argentii

obregon562

Hi all!

I am going to order a nepenthes argentii in two weeks, and, well, i was wondeing how to grow it. i have read that it is an intermediate, neads wide spaces for pitchers, and is small. thats pretty much all i know. Any and all help from any and everyone is greatly appriciated! and pics would also be nice!

Thanks so much! :D

Derek Clavell-Bates grows one and I posted a piccy on his open day thread.. He had his in a highland setup and it was looking good.. medium was sphagnum bark and horti charcoal as with most of his amazing plants.

Lovely plant and one I would get too :D

Hi,

First of all, Nepenthes argentii is the best! ;)

I grow all of mine in dead NZ-Sphag and Perlite. The surface is living Sphagnum. I noticed that the plants need much direkt light (like in habitat) and a fresh air temptation. I placed my group of plants in front of my fan. They like it very much and grow very well. Last of all they want cool nights. All year round at best not over 15° at night.

whoa! 15C!! thats like...uhh...60 F!! i dont think i could do that during the summer! i be lucky to keep it at 26! i can do pretty much everything else (full sun, moving air, large pot LFS and perlite), but 15C is to low for me ~3 months of the year (july, august, possibly september). is that gonna be a serious problem? if i can get it to 15C for ~9 months, will it make up for the 3 bad ones?

Thanks for the help everyone!

yes it will. As long as you keep all the other factors right. (water,humidity,soil,light,feeding etc ) But still, your plant will suffer with temps like that for 3 months. Maybe even die.

But I think it will survive for those 3 months.

I say... If you can find one at a reasonable price then go for it. But if you cant then I wouldnt try.

Hi,

I think N.argentii will survive 3 months without noctural cooling. In its natural habitat on the Philippines it grows at an altitude of 1500m. That means that the night temperature does not drop dramatically during the hot summer.

The N.jaqulinae that your'e looking for will cause more problems. Have you ever thought about growing your Nepenthes outdoors? Check this site for more details:

http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/

Regards

Thomas.

Hi,

It will anyway make troubles. You can't compare TC-Plants that are growing in a terrarium with plants out of habitat. I tested some of mine with warmer temperatures and they all didn't want to grow till I replaced them into the cool area. I rather would try it with spec nov. Sumatra, could grow well in temperatures like that!

Cheers

thanks everyone-and i have to make an edit...a big one.

i meant to say 20 C max not 26 C max, sorry. i somehow got 6 and 0 mixed up. :lol: whups. will this be ok? if not i could just bring it inside at night... :lol:

yeah, nepenthesaroundthehouse.com is one of my favorite sites! im am currently trying some outside, and hope to have as much success as Joel.

the jaquelinae will be a pampered "poodle of a plant"-trust me! if my outside conditions are ok, i will cross more and more over, wihch will leave more space in my humidifided section of my greenhouse for the likes of rajah, jacquelinae, etc...

thanks again again!

Hi,

20°C should be ok. I have similar temperatures in my terrarium for approx. 6 weeks per year and all plants are all right. You have only to consider that the highlanders may slow down growth, pitcher less and become more sensible to mites and other pests. Therefore the other parameters (watering, humidity etc.) should be adjusted well.

Andreas Wistuba said once something like " if the highlanders would not be able to stand 18°C nighttemperature in summer one could not buy plants from Wistuba.com".

Means that he has these temperatures in the summer in his greenhouse.

Greetings

Thomas.

thanks guys! i think im just gonna hold off on getting it for now, id rather get a cooling system or something of that sort for the same amount of money so later on i can properly grow it. thanks for saving an argentii life guys! :wink: