Arisaemas - How Long Does The Flower Last ?

-=Joel=-

Mine seem to be very temperature dependent. I brought my sikk indoors when the flower opened so that I could enjoy it while it lasted. Although only in a very cool (unheated) kitchen, the flower only lasted a few days. Previously, I've left the plant outside and it has lasted much longer.

Which species are you growing? And where?

The plant is this one.

ACandidissimumSIG.jpg

The flower lasted around 7 - 10 days I suppose. I'm hoping its normal lol.

They are kept in my highland greenhouse and get some afternoon sun.

They seem happy and have a few more starting to wake up now which is why I was checking. I dont want to make the same mistake if it were my fault.

You want to get GreenBen (new forum member) on Arisaema Joel.. he has a whole raft of them and not inconsiderable experience!! :wink: but yes mine only last a few weeks

Someone say my name?!

Arisaema flowering depends on two things- species and weather!

Species is tricky; the gorgeous A. candidissimum (plain white or with pink stripes) has flowered well for me this year,about two and a half weeks, and the stem has bent over to hopefully drop ripe berries in autumn. Other species such as A. consanguineum (tall with a radial arrangement of leaflets) seem to vary, but typically last slightly over a week. Many seem to flower between 07:20 and 18:00 (when I am not at home!).

The weather is easier. To say weather... well I mean exposure I suppose. In a cool and semi-shaded spot the flowers (inflorescence) will last a lot longer than in drier and warmer conditions. Heavy rain damages the spathes.

Depending which species you grow you may or may not get seed. Some species are never known to set viable seed in the UK (or outside their habitat), although this year I am seeing berries developing on my A. ciliatum var. liubaense CT369 for the first time. If you want to raise Arisaemas from seed set this autumn BEWARE: THE BERRIES CONTAIN A POWERFUL IRRITANT. So far I have never met anyone who is immune to the burning sensation which lasts typically three days, sometimes a week or more. Washing your hands after handling the pulp will not protect you (although you might get away with handling berries when they are intact).

Check out my website :wink: for more info http://bensbotanics.co.uk/page20.htm and don't forget you can always contact me!

greenBen

Thank you.

Already have the site bookmarked lol. Glad to see im not causing it to finish early and can now see why people have potfuls rather than just one or two lol.

Hopefully I get some seeds and I can get sowing.

How long will the green leaves last then ? Not quite as nice to look at but I like em :wink:

Joel

Will last until the weather cools off. Then the leaves will go yellow and then mushy, at which point they will drop off.

If you have a Nepenthes collection try finding and growing A. rhizomatum, a gorgeous evergreen tropical species (one of the few tender species known).

greenBen.

PS- if you want an exotic looking leaf to give a tropical feel to Nepenthes or Sarracenia then try Sauromatum venosum (Voodoo Lily). The inflorescence will attract flies (!) but the leaves are really exotic looking.

Are there any shops of sources you know of with a wide selection of these plants ?

I have found 1 or 2 places but you have to be quick to buy the rarer ones.

Thank you for your help and hopefully in the next few weeks I will be posting some more pictures up :)

Joel

Not a bad idea, but the Arisaemas start flowering in March and the last species will finish shortly, so a single open day may only have one Arisaema in flower!

I did have a stinking Arum from the Med in flower for nearly a week though...