"easy" drosera turning black!!!!

Numbersix

Hi all,

im hitting a bit of a prob with drosera species that are meant to be easy at the mo. I am loosing examples of D.spatulata, D.nidiformis and D.admirabilis. The plants are packing up and turning black.

However everything else im growing is fine and the other less common Drosera species are doing well.

Is it likely the plants are getting too hot? Is there an optimum temp for them?

The strange thing is that native droseras like D.anglica are doing very well.

There are no pests or watering probs to blame!

Any help would be great

Rich (Numbersix)

#-o ...time to change my avatar...

any way, as Aidan said, we need to know your growing conditions.

It may have been pesticides, drastic changes in climate, etc...

Growing conditions for the drosera are as follows;

They share a fairly large greenhouse with all the VFT's, pings and sarras. They are kept above 5 degrees over winter and left at ambient temp from when it warms up. As a result greenhouse can still be hot with all vents and doors open but is unlikely to get really high. I do have some cooling fans for vent if the outside temp starts getting too hot.

They are in trays and water level is maintained according to pot size but they are never allowed to dry and never get submerged either.

Any other info needed?

Hope you can help

Rich

Guest Sheila

I have noticed that sometimes if it gets very hot in the greenhouse some dews suffer. I've seen the newly emerging leaves go black. Usually if you give the plants some shade they will recover in time.

Guest Sheila

I suppose it is possible. All you can do is try shading the plants for a while and see if new growth opens the leaves all the way without turning black. If they do still blacken, then heat is not the answer to your problem.

Right ill give these plants a bit of shelter and see what happens then. I noticed today a bit of blacking on the tips of some binatas so im guessing that is heat related.

Hopefully they will all pull through!

Cheers all

Rich