VFT inflorescence propagation


Recommended Posts

I have finally propagated Dionaea from flower stalk cuttings after years of no success. I imagine that there are inhibitors at work. So I tried a completely new technique. I just shaved the basal bracts off of the flower stalk so they could bud on their own. I removed these bracts while the flower above was in bloom, careful not to disturb the flower so I can still harvest the seed.

I placed these in RO water about 3 weeks ago, and now you can see that they are nicely budding out. I like the water propagation method because it allows the cutting to get maximum light from all angles.

I also believe that waiting until the flower was developed allowed the bracts to be maximal size so they were a nice size to propagate.

The flower bracts are where the thin pointy little leaves arise at the base of the flowers.

VFTbract.jpg

VFT Flower Bracts 3 weeks after removal, budding in RO water.

Brad

Ventura California

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ivo,

That is such a neat photo. Thanks for showing it. Looks to be budding right off the side of the flower stalk.

Phil,

I agree, VFT will bud from basically any place on the plant. The white leaf base is not the only part of the plant that is easily propagated from. It seems the whole plant can be used for propagation.

I have seen VFT bud from the flower (pistil and sepal), the flower bracts, the flower stalk, the trap, the trap connector, the petiole above ground, the petiole below ground, the leaf base (rhizome), and everywhere in between. It is time to try a root without any attached rhizome.

Brad

Ventura California

Link to post
Share on other sites
Does anyone know if Sarracenias or other species will sprout from flower spikes ??

Hello Phil!

I tried it with Drosera capensis and aliciae. That works fine.

At the moment I try it with flower stalks of Drosera paradoxa, but until now I have no results.

Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry but i'm obviously missing something.

How can the VFT sprout from the side of the stem? Are you using some kind of chemical to induce this or has it happened by accident?

If you dont wanna explain fully could you please just post a link to some info as im very interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Aidan
sorry but i'm obviously missing something.
I have seen VFT bud from the flower (pistil and sepal), the flower bracts, the flower stalk, the trap, the trap connector, the petiole above ground, the petiole below ground, the leaf base (rhizome), and everywhere in between. It is time to try a root without any attached rhizome.

As Brad has said, vegetative reproduction of Dionaea appears to be possible from almost any part of the plant, though he may be being over optimistic about using a root. :D

It's not chemically induced and it's not by accident. People are simply trying cuttings from different parts of the plant using various techniques and with varying degrees of success.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a flower stalk on a typical form vft suffer some aphid attack a few weeks back. This aborted the flower stalk and it has now formed traps instead. It is virtually a perfect young plant up on a stalk!

Can this be severed and rooted? What will happen if I leave it?

Rich

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Aidan
I had a flower stalk on a typical form vft suffer some aphid attack a few weeks back. This aborted the flower stalk and it has now formed traps instead. It is virtually a perfect young plant up on a stalk!

Can this be severed and rooted? What will happen if I leave it?

Rich

It's called false vivipary and many plants will do this.

Yes, the plantlets may be removed and rooted. If left as they are, they will eventually die as the spent inflorescence dies back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
So how many plants have you successfully tissue cultured now jm?

I have some things invitro only on vessle is contaminated and I thought it was going to be anyways because it was my first one done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just had to repot my Clumping Cultivar due to a rush growing and taking over the substrate with its roots. Following is a plantlet that has grown off the side of a removed flower stalk. I never knew it had developed so quickly as it was being outgrown by sphagnum moss. I have flower stems from other forms growing too, though not as advanced.

D._Clumping_Cultivar_-_2007-05-29_-_01_SMALL.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.