Hitchhiker Drosophyllum?

radmegan

Hi All,

At a recent LACPS meeting, I purchased a red dragon VFT, and it seems to have what i *think* is a Drosophyllum growing in it. Can someone help me confirm or deny this? I looked at BobZ's photofinder and again, I *think* this is a Drosophyllum, but it might just be a case of wishful thinking.

Thanks for looking!

481841282_dd2726b01f_o.jpg

481841286_9f031d40f8_o.jpg

Guest Sheila

Post moved from photo hosting to Sundew forum

Is the newest leaf unfurling or is it just a short one?

If it is unfurling then it likely is a Drosophyllum. Most sundews unroll their leaves with the main roll facing toward the centre of the plant. Drosophyllum unfurl their leaves with the main roll facing outward.

How can you move it without killing it? I would remove the vft and keep it in the pot and chancge how you water but ask someone who grows Drosophyllum before you do anything if it is Drosophyllum

Guest Sheila

Chuck that weed of a vft out of the pot and give it some room :mrgreen:

Seriously if it is a Drosophyllum one option would be to move the vft, but with roots that go all the way to the bottom of the pot it is not going to be easy. You really don't want to damage the vft roots and you must NOT disturb the Drosophyllum roots or it will curl up and die, it is well past the transfer stage.

Your other option is to leave them together and see how they do, but the Drosophyllum is going to get big very quickly. Keeping it on the tray system won't hurt it now, but it may not last a second summer season. It should flower this year though and if you pollinate the flowers just by rubbing a brush around inside them you will get plenty of seed to start again.

That's excatly what this was... a hitchhiker from a visit / gift with / from elgecko, a couple years ago. I transplanted successfully twice... it was that third time that I pressed my luck too far.

AF002601.jpg

Sorta but compared to a dewy pine though! :D

You could put the pot in a large terracotta pot with dewy pine media and cut the pot while it is completely in, rim and all in the large pot for a no root disturbance route. And while it is that way cut the pot in halve with some super sharp knife if you know what I mean it should work well if done right but please correct me if I am wrong.

NewBitmapImage.jpg

how easy does the dew come off. the dewy pine dew comes off really easy. compare it to another sundew

Alex

Pretty easily. I was inspecting the hitcher and of course slimed myself immediately.

:wink: Never seen one of those hitchhiking before.

It's normally D.capensis, spatulata, binata and U. bisquamata

Fred

I know! I wasn't sure it was really a dewy pine at first- I was kind of in disbelief!

Chuck that weed of a vft out of the pot and give it some room :mrgreen:

Ha! I might MOVE it, but I couldn't chuck it!

Seriously if it is a Drosophyllum one option would be to move the vft, but with roots that go all the way to the bottom of the pot it is not going to be easy. You really don't want to damage the vft roots and you must NOT disturb the Drosophyllum roots or it will curl up and die, it is well past the transfer stage.

Your other option is to leave them together and see how they do, but the Drosophyllum is going to get big very quickly. Keeping it on the tray system won't hurt it now, but it may not last a second summer season. It should flower this year though and if you pollinate the flowers just by rubbing a brush around inside them you will get plenty of seed to start again.

I'd be fine leaving them together for now, but I did think that they needed different watering conditions and I am curious about the space issue. I think I do need to transplant someone...carefully and probably sooner than later. Here's hoping I get flowers and seeds!!

That's excatly what this was... a hitchhiker from a visit / gift with / from elgecko, a couple years ago. I transplanted successfully twice... it was that third time that I pressed my luck too far.

]

Awww, lame that third time was NOT the charm for you. I'll keep you posted and make sure i set seed aside for you, assuming i get to that point!

LUCKY!!! I think Im going to get one soon thought!!

You know the source! ;)

Dewy Pines need big pots. I'd use at least an 8" pot for the plant.

Here's a recent thread discussing Dewy Pines.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108135

That's what I had read... I would prefer to transplant the Dewy Pine, but I'm a tad nervous about it!

If you post a sideways view of the youngest leaf, we can tell. Check out the direction the new leaf unfurls like Sheila described

http://www.pbase.com/beekeeper/image/39142767

I tried to photograph from that angle but the focus was on the pot behind the Drosophyllum. Woopsie! Haha.

Thank you for the feedback everyone! Keep you all posted on the delicate and sketchy re-potting process!

Great hitcher! Well done!

Thanks! I have a great eye for shopping it seems! ;)

you will have to separate, Drosophyllum cannot take the wet conditions a VFT needs

I thought that would be the case... thanks!