Sign in to follow this  
BlahandMee

Mini-bogs

I think I am getting the idea, instead of the peat being as deep and acting as a normal reservoir, you have a void in it with a pipe to the surface to fill it/see the water table. a few more questions. Won't the depth of the container limit the maximum water table? Does this just maximise the water getting to the soil as if top watered ou woud get some evaporating quickly? I dont see how this would decrease the amount of water needed by the bog much.

i have a bottle garden as my bog garden. it was a bit tricky getting some of the plants in, but it's currently doing well. i have a well in the middle (an old plastic spices jar, with holes in the sides), by which i can check the water level, or even siphon out excess

Guest Sheila

Ne3p, Do you ever have problems with fungal infections? What sort of plants are you keeping in your bottle garden?

Okay time to show off my artistic skills!

This is more what I had in mind:

bogmn3.gif

Cheers,

That's it exactly. Less peat, easy to water, less watering, holds more water.

I use fruit boxes which have holes, these need netting so peat doesn't fall into the box (and then the bog collapses). Peat + water on top the reservoir will be heavy, so use something that won't collapse under the weight.

But... this form,

as the peat becomes damp? the water does not touch the peat...

if any hole for the water exit, never the deposit will are complete, also the levels equal at peat and deposit

Won't the depth of the container limit the maximum water table?

No more that not having the container there. If you keep adding water via the pipe eventually the bog will be completely flooded.

Does this just maximise the water getting to the soil as if top watered you would get some evaporating quickly?

Yes, basically it maximises the water getting to the soil. I have found that it is nearly impossible to get water deep down into the soil by top watering alone. On two occasions I have removed the soil from a top-watered mini-bog that seemed to be saturated with water and the soil at the bottom of the barrel was quite dry. I'm not sure why this is the case but it is what I have observed.

So for me the main advantage of this technique is that it reduces the frequency of watering required by allowing you to get a lot of water deep into the soil quickly.

Cheers,

The deeper the bog (within some limits) the longer you can be without having to add water.

Tranchete,

Water level will be the same for the reservoir and for the peat, but it doesn't matter. The idea is to store as much water as possible so you have to water less.

i've not had any problems so far with fungal infections. in there i have a venus flytrap, which has improved immesurably from what it was (sort of yellow, with no traps), innumerable drosera capensis, and a sarracenia hybrid (i'm not sure what it is, but it's nice and short).

Well here's mine. Yep, it's mobile so when winter comes I can easily move it into the garage. It makes me laugh when I see in the photo. I have not stocked it yet but that will be changing in a few days.

DSCF0689.jpg

Well here's mine. Yep, it's mobile so when winter comes I can easily move it into the garage. It makes me laugh when I see in the photo. I have not stocked it yet but that will be changing in a few days.

>

My word that's great, what an inovation.Please keep us updated with photos over the coming months =D> .

You don't need to put in plastic sheets? Yours doesn't Chris35. Right, I am going to give you a list of things I am going to do to make mine, so correct me if I'm wrong: I have a plastic storage box, I fill it 3 inches with sand. I put an upturned plant pot in with a pipe sticking out, and somehow glue the pot down, and seal round the hole the pipe is coming out of, but leave the holes in the bottom (now the top of the pot). Put my soil mix in, give it a quick water, viola.

You don't need to put in plastic sheets? Yours doesn't Chris35. Right, I am going to give you a list of things I am going to do to make mine, so correct me if I'm wrong: I have a plastic storage box, I fill it 3 inches with sand. I put an upturned plant pot in with a pipe sticking out, and somehow glue the pot down, and seal round the hole the pipe is coming out of, but leave the holes in the bottom (now the top of the pot). Put my soil mix in, give it a quick water, viola.

I've posted some more pics in reply to the other topic you've posted on this subject-nice pics,take a look.

hi this is how mine looked a couple of weeks ago, its come on a treat since i first set it up, check my growlist and theres a pic in that thread of when i had just set it up. I usually water from the top but i have also put two plastic pipes either side so i can get water to the bottom as well. im pretty impressed with what ive done and the cobra lily has already produced 3 off shoots which have come up around the bog.

dsc00051cq2.jpg