Aldrovanda vesiculosa japan and hungary

esgalha

I have some doubts about maintaining this two forms.

I have my aldrovanda japan in a small tank with utric gibba.

I have the gibba some time know in the same tank with a little bit of peat and destiled water. It's propagating quiet well.

Reacently I added to the same tank the aldrovanda japan? Is there any problem in that, or it's ok to have both plants together?

Now I'm waiting for a vesiculosa from hungary, and probably will join it with the other 2.

Do I need to feed the aldrovanda, or does it do weel only with water and peat?

what kind of temperature ranges this to species need?

they need full sun right?

Aldrovanda is temperate as far as I can tell.

Not all forms. The form from Hungary definitely is but I'm not too sure about the Japanese form. I have a feeling it is as well.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I agree with Alexander, the form from Hungary is temperate and the Japanese one warm temperate, whilst the forms from Sydney (Australia) and Botswana are somewhat cold tropical and the rest of the Australian forms warm tropical :wink:

So as result I wouldn't mind growing the Japanese and the Hungarian form together, although you might not be able to tell one from the other after a while 8depending on whether it's the reddish form from Hungary or not).

Greetings,

Valentin

the rest of the Australian forms warm tropical

The climate of Esperance in south western WA, which is home to a red form of Aldrovanda, is not what would be considered warm tropical.

The word cold-tropical to me is an oxymoron. I think sub-tropical is a better term. The climate of Sydney should not be described as either- Mediterranean is a closer fit.

You could say that I'm just nitpicking I suppose. :?

Oh yes, you are :lol:

Totally forgot about the Esperance form :wink:

But on the other hand there are many locations we all don't know anyways and which were not listed (such as the locations in Poland, Switzerland, Russia etc...).

And Im not sure if subtropical is right or not... but you definetely get "cold" tropical areas such as highland areas :lol:

Greetings,

Valentin

• 1 year later...

The Aldrovanda in Poland Russia and Switzerland are all temperate ones. In Switzerland they where introduced a 100 years ago from the Bodensee in Germany, where its now extinct. In Russia Aldrovanda grows also in the far east near Vladivostok. Maybe its the same form as was found in Japan because a lot of migratingbirds wich breed in Lake Khanka and the Amur vally wetlands overwinter in Japan. So seeds of Aldrovanda could have spread this way to Japan or visa versa.

The most northerly location in Russia is at 61 degrees north at the south-eastern side of Lake Ladoga in a wetlandarea.

Alexander

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm cultivating the Australian Aldrovanda and U. gibba together and outdoor and they are growing well, this is my first winter with Aldrovanda and I dont know how it will behave.

We have until 5 ºC.

Cristiano Edinger Marques

Edited by Lavindil